Major SSD hardware encryption flaws discovered

Dutch security researchers today released a paper detailing compromised security in the hardware encryption of several mainstream SSDs from companies like Crucial and Samsung. Several different serious implementation flaws were found.

Many companies now use full disk encryption for their computers, especially for laptops on the move. So while the usage of TrueCrypt has faded, especially when its open source developers gave up maintaining the code, it has been up to Microsoft BitLocker to take over and become the tool of choice for encrypting disk drives.

In some cases, the factory-set master password could still be used to unlock the drive despite being set to disabled, and worse, the master password consisted of an empty string (technically a 32-bit code containing 32 zeros). Meaning the drive is encrypted with no password - like a lock that doesn't require a key, just turning the handle.

The paper outlines that some SSD drives (including Samsung and Crucial) do not actually encrypt the data properly, and that they can be easily by-passed without a system password.

The manufacturers of the drives have been informed through ethical disclosure (in April 2018), and users are being asked to rely on software encryption rather than the embedded hardware encryption. A particular risk is Windows BitLocker — which has a virtual monopoly in the market place for complete disk encryption — as it often relies on the hardware encryption used in the SSD drives.

Microsoft Bitlocker is a particular problem, because it automatically relies on hardware encryption whenever a disk supports it. Users should therefore be relying on software encryption instead, and open-source and vetted applications like Veracrypt are recommended. Microsoft did not technically do anything wrong, but relying on the hardware vendors to properly implement encryption was clearly a bad idea in practice. If some of the biggest SSD brands are this negligent, who knows what the rest of the industry is like.

Conclusions

If you need to have full disk encryption, and you have an SSD drive, you just cannot trust hardware encryption. At least with software encryption the data is encrypted before it gets anywhere near your disk. A master password of “” (an empty string — or 32 NULL characters) is shocking, and negligence of the highest kind.

The researchers recommend using an open sourced (and auditable) software encryption method such as VeraCrypt, along with hardware encryption. VeraCrypt is based on the well-loved TrueCrypt open-sourced software distribution:

What can I say, this is a major-league fuckup that tarnishes the entire industry but especially the involved companies. Samsung's bad enough, but Crucial setting empty string master passwords is just inexcusably awful. In the case of the MX100 and MX200, the researchers only checked the three first vulnerabilities, testing more was pointless as security was already broken beyond repair.

Of course not everyone relies on full disk encryption, but for those who do, this is really bad news. Also note that ethical disclosure happened all the way back in April, yet the involved companies don't appear to have done much about it at this point (pending official responses).

image.png

Source: Prof Bill Buchanan (Medium post)

See also: The Register

So samsung and crucial are the only brands they tested according to the source anyways

Is there a full list of the models affected?

Edit: found this in the source

image.png.110330268e49e5996564a326b3e1745e.png

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

crucial is a subsidary of Micron right? wonder if all Samsung/Micon based ssd's are affected

prob not as this is more like the fault of the maker of the driver controller which is usually the manufacturer of the drive... right?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Is there a full list of the models affected?

Only of the models tested - chances are many more models will be affected too.

Crucial MX100, MX200, MX300

Samsung 840 Evo, 850 Evo, T3, T5

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

crucial is a subsidary of Micron right? wonder if all Samsung/Micon based ssd's are affected

prob not as this is more like the fault of the maker of the driver controller which is usually the manufacturer of the drive... right?

Crucial is just the name Micron itself uses for its consumer-oriented products.

bitlocker is there to prevent just anyone looking in for your data

veracrypt is there to properly encrypt it to make sure only you can see it

hardware encryption (as far as I know) is pretty pointless, only there to offload AVX instructions from the CPU onto the controller of the SSD

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, Sakkura said:

Only of the models tested - chances are many more models will be affected too.

Crucial MX100, MX200, MX300

Samsung 840 Evo, 850 Evo, T3, T5

Crucial is just the name Micron itself uses for its consumer-oriented products.

Makes me wonder if the newer 900 series from Samsung or the MX500 are affected or not

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Makes me wonder if the newer 900 series from Samsung or the MX500 are affected or not

Yeah. The researchers may not have had access to an MX500 when they were originally working on this - it did launch a few months before they disclosed, but presumably they had been working on it for a while before that.

The 900 series uses NVMe rather than SATA, which should change how some of these things work. But definitely worth checking the encryption on them too.

I stole your pic for the OP by the way, hope you don't mind.

Just now, Sakkura said:

Yeah. The researchers may not have had access to an MX500 when they were originally working on this - it did launch a few months before they disclosed, but presumably they had been working on it for a while before that.

The 900 series uses NVMe rather than SATA, which should change how some of these things work. But definitely worth checking the encryption on them too.

I stole your pic for the OP by the way, hope you don't mind.

no that's fine xD It definitely should be in there somewhere

5 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

So when these encryption things ask for a key, where in the flying duck is it being used?

totally_not_a_plain_text_password.txt

and

this_definitely_is_not_the_password_you_are_looking_for.txt

Depending on the manufacturer and model.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, James Evens said:

There is a more detailed list in the paper (linked on the medium site). 

Samsung drives seem to be a little bit better (or less worse?) then the crucial ones.

The Samsung drives seem to be like "normal" security flaws. The Crucial drives just have facepalm levels of terrible security.

Yeah I'm a little salty about my Crucial MX100, but at least I'm only using software encryption.

Time to update SSD Firmware :(.

image.png.074eceed74cf731fc446b5b0904d5b73.png

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I don't use Samsung encryption at all, but do you need to set up a password for it? Will your data locked if you forgot the password to decrypt it? 

Well I guess at least some governments and civil authorities will be happy about that... they don't have to waste time asking for passwords or backdoors on those devices.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

1 minute ago, paddy-stone said:

Well I guess at least some governments and civil authorities will be happy about that... they don't have to waste time asking for passwords or backdoors on those devices.

Next will be IMac because IMac uses SSD as well. 

6 minutes ago, Speed Weed said:

Next will be IMac because IMac uses SSD as well. 

The newer iMacs have their own proprietary encryption. Though I would have liked to see the Samsung 900 series nvme tested, particularly the pro version if it has any better protection than the evo drives.

1 hour ago, Sakkura said:

Microsoft did not technically do anything wrong, but relying on the hardware vendors to properly implement encryption was clearly a bad idea in practice. If some of the biggest SSD brands are this negligent, who knows what the rest of the industry is like. 

So this whole time Microsoft Bitlocker is just utilizing the drive manufacturers own hardware encryption? It's all fine and well until something like this happens.

Could there be legal ramifications against Samsung and Crucial? Particularly from enterprise users? (I'm sure most would use a third-party for security and encryption but still)

Welp, I have an 850 evo and a T5 but I dont encrypt either so meh

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

So, to "fix" bitlocker, I just checked in gpedit and found the following options in

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Bitlocker Drive Encryption

In there, there's three folders(Fixed, OS and Removable drives),  all three of them have "Configure use of hardware-based encryption for "fixed/OS/Removable" drive".

By default, it says it will use Hardware Encryption, but changing that setting to "Disable", it will use Software based encryption instead.

Spoiler

This policy setting allows you to manage BitLocker’s use of hardware-based encryption on operating system drives and specify which encryption algorithms it can use with hardware-based encryption. Using hardware-based encryption can improve performance of drive operations that involve frequent reading or writing of data to the drive.

If you enable this policy setting, you can specify additional options that control whether BitLocker software-based encryption is used instead of hardware-based encryption on computers that do not support hardware-based encryption and whether you want to restrict the encryption algorithms and cipher suites used with hardware-based encryption.

If you disable this policy setting, BitLocker cannot use hardware-based encryption with operating system drives and BitLocker software-based encryption will be used by default when the drive is encrypted.

If you do not configure this policy setting, BitLocker will use hardware-based encryption with the encryption algorithm set for the drive. If hardware-based encryption is not available BitLocker software-based encryption will be used instead.

Note: The “Choose drive encryption method and cipher strength” policy setting does not apply to hardware-based encryption.
The encryption algorithm used by hardware-based encryption is set when the drive is partitioned. By default, BitLocker uses the algorithm configured on the drive to encrypt the drive.
The “Restrict encryption algorithms and cipher suites allowed for hardware-based encryption” option enables you to restrict the encryption algorithms that BitLocker can use with hardware encryption.
If the algorithm set for the drive is not available, BitLocker will disable the use of hardware-based encryption.
Encryption algorithms are specified by object identifiers (OID). For example:
- AES 128 in CBC mode OID: 2.16.840.1.101.3.4.1.2
- AES 256 in CBC mode OID: 2.16.840.1.101.3.4.1.42

So, I'm guessing that changing that setting in all three folders, to Disable, means this issue is not longer an issue?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Well good thing I just got an 860 evo:D

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

When @Sakkura beats you by 9 minutes on posting. Feels bad man.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor