Can a bad Motherboard cause erratic frametimes?

Polarisandneptune276

I have been troubleshooting stuttering in games for months and has asked many times.

I was just wondering if a faulty motherboard could cause these erratic frametimes that I see?

FRAMEITME.jpg

not unless it's undervolting parts responsible for FPS which is unlikely. Check GPU and CPU voltages and utilization and see if they're normal. What CPU do you have 

7 minutes ago, Cigano said:

not unless it's undervolting parts responsible for FPS which is unlikely. Check GPU and CPU voltages and utilization and see if they're normal. What CPU do you have 

I posted recently about my Cpu voltages and my utilisation is completely fine. That screen shot was taken from SCUM where I have about 35% CPu usage and 99% Gpu.

I haven't check my Gpu voltages but it has been the same on 4 different gpu's. Here is my max while playing SCUM in Hw monitor.

Voltage.jpg

So far I have.

1. Changed all of my PC components (to an i7) Psu, RAM, SSD, Cables, 4 different Gpu's including two 1070's. Tried a different MOBO, but it didnt change so placed new components into my old mobo.

2. Tried every different combination of windows settings, optimisation I can think of.

3. Tried multiple different fresh windows versions on different drives.

4. Installed only basic software.

5. Changed Bios settings and profiles, tuned of iGPU

6. Looked at temps, voltages and profiles.

7. Tried about 10 different Nvidia drivers

8. Lowered graphical options and other settings like Sync

9. Ran many tests like userbenchmark, furmark, prime95, passmark uni engine (which stutters too)

i7 4790

Gtx 1070 Rog Strix

16gb DDR3 Ram

Samsung Evo 860

Evga Gold g2 650w

To start off, which games are suffering from stuttering? all of them? or are there specific titles? 

If a motherboard is the issue, it is unlikely to game at all =P

Can you provide a full breakdown of what is happening with the GPU/CPU using MSI afterburner. Things we'd need are:

- Thermals under stress

- CPU and GPU loads; including per core breakdown of utilization; 4790s may bottleneck a 1070 or 1080 and may not be able to keep up with the graphics card in modern titles. 

For example:

I have a Ryzen 2700x clocked at 4ghz with a 1070ti. In GTA 5; my GPU utilization mostly sits at 80-95% with occasional dips to 70% as the graphics card waits on my CPU core (#7 in my case) which is maxed out. The only way to know, is to look at what is happening on a core by core basis.

Dropping your settings in games will actually strain the CPU more as the system tries to churn out more FPS than it is capable of handling.

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...

18 minutes ago, RyzenDoctor said:

To start off, which games are suffering from stuttering? all of them? or are there specific titles? 

If a motherboard is the issue, it is unlikely to game at all =P

Can you provide a full breakdown of what is happening with the GPU/CPU using MSI afterburner. Things we'd need are:

- Thermals under stress

- CPU and GPU loads; including per core breakdown of utilization; 4790s may bottleneck a 1070 or 1080 and may not be able to keep up with the graphics card in modern titles. 

For example:

I have a Ryzen 2700x clocked at 4ghz with a 1070ti. In GTA 5; my GPU utilization mostly sits at 80-95% with occasional dips to 70% as the graphics card waits on my CPU core (#7 in my case) which is maxed out. The only way to know, is to look at what is happening on a core by core basis.

Dropping your settings in games will actually strain the CPU more as the system tries to churn out more FPS than it is capable of handling.

Every game apart from Rainbow Six bizarrely. Every open world game or heavy load game stutters severely, and worse with an uncapped framerate.

Thermals- My Cpu maintains arouind 65-73C under heavy load. 

Gpu- Doesn't go above 65C

Clocks are stable across all cores. (see below)

Stuttering happens regardless of Cpu utilisation, even at 35% in SCUM for example, it happens constantly. (Look at that horrible frame time below). I have tried two different processors and it's the same.

Did you look at the Voltage limit switching On/off that I posted, is that an issue? It has to be PSU or MOBO

image.thumb.png.af811ea9bd8a0e1915a060f29afb774f.pngimage.thumb.png.4ee99264b674158d39e75e5b897d3618.pngimage.thumb.png.a0c14366ade42258f369dbcebb0b5fbc.png

Seems like everything is working fine, but my frame times are all over the place still. Haunted hardware?

Nah I think you’re getting cpu bottlenecked. The dips correspond to times when core utilization hits close to 100% on some cores. This essentially means that your GPU ends up waiting for the cpu core to finish whatever it’s doing before it can be fed data necessary to process more frames.

overall cpu utilization is a poor indicator of cpu bottlenecking as most games don’t multi thread well. They tend to rely heavily on 1-2 cores and that’s where single threaded performance comes in.

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...

3 hours ago, RyzenDoctor said:

Nah I think you’re getting cpu bottlenecked. The dips correspond to times when core utilization hits close to 100% on some cores. This essentially means that your GPU ends up waiting for the cpu core to finish whatever it’s doing before it can be fed data necessary to process more frames.

overall cpu utilization is a poor indicator of cpu bottlenecking as most games don’t multi thread well. They tend to rely heavily on 1-2 cores and that’s where single threaded performance comes in.

But my utilisation is low on the induvidual cores (Where did you see 100%?) and the same thing happens when I cap my frame rate at 60, when my system is capable of far more.

I found this during latency mon test that has to have something to do with it.

https://imgur.com/a/cMo5PtB

8 minutes ago, Polarisandneptune276 said:

But my utilisation is low and the same thing happens when I cap my frame rate at 60, when my system is capable of far more.

Overall utilisation is low or per core utilisation is low? The difference matters for the exact reason @RyzenDoctor mentions.

Could it be the drive stuff is installed on?

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

23 minutes ago, tikker said:

Overall utilisation is low or per core utilisation is low? The difference matters for the exact reason @RyzenDoctor mentions.

Could it be the drive stuff is installed on?

None of my cores are hitting above 70% with an uncapped framerate and when capped to 60fps it's below 50% on all cores induvidually. I'm not hitting a cpu bottneck. I'm not sure where Ryzen doctor found that 100% usage because it isn't in my graph.

I have tried on numerous dirvers, SSD's, HDD's.

I found this issue in latencymon https://imgur.com/a/5EQvEa0

On 11/6/2018 at 1:45 PM, Polarisandneptune276 said:

None of my cores are hitting above 70% with an uncapped framerate and when capped to 60fps it's below 50% on all cores induvidually. I'm not hitting a cpu bottneck. I'm not sure where Ryzen doctor found that 100% usage because it isn't in my graph.

I have tried on numerous dirvers, SSD's, HDD's.

I found this issue in latencymon https://imgur.com/a/5EQvEa0

If you look at your graphs, there are intermittent spikes. Yes the spikes dont hit 100%, but that is due to the way data is sampled and averaged over a chunk of time by MSI afterburner. Your CPU would have to be running at 100% for a few seconds for the spike to hit the 100% mark and for that to be visible. If it hits it for 100 msec and then drops to 50% for 100 msec, (assuming an averaging time of 200 msec), it'll post a utilization of ~ 75%. You will still see the stutter. What I normally look for when diagnosing these issues is a correlation between the spikes that are significantly above baseline utilization and the increased frame time.

Stutters dont happen due to sustained loads, it is the intermittent maximization of one core that causes CPU-related stutters.

Are you able to test a different CPU without committing to buying it?

Looking at the LatencyMon results, they report that your problematic libraries are DirectX graphics Kernel and Nvidia drivers which further supports that the CPU is having trouble processing calls from the GPU and that those calls are dragging your system down. Is it an inefficient driver? maybe... but youve already tested a few of them. Is it Direct X 12? could be... but you need it to play more recent games. 

11 hours ago, RyzenDoctor said:

Looking at the LatencyMon results, they report that your problematic libraries are DirectX graphics Kernel and Nvidia drivers which further supports that the CPU is having trouble processing calls from the GPU and that those calls are dragging your system down. Is it an inefficient driver? maybe... but youve already tested a few of them. Is it Direct X 12? could be... but you need it to play more recent games. 

Yeah it seems that something is on some sort of time and that it spikes quite regularly.

I have tested on both an i5 4590 and an i7 4790.

My best guess is that it is a mobo issue with drivers or some sort of incompatibility. It doesn't do it in all games. rainbows six has completely smooth freamtimes, all the way.

Different games are programmed in a different manner. Some rely on the CPU heavily for physics and AI, which doesn’t leave much headroom if things heat up in game leading to stutter.

its not a motherboard issue per se, but the interaction of your cpu, GPU, and software installed. Your motherboard for the most part serves as the wiring that holds everything together. If a wire is cut (broken trace or dead chip) nothing would work. 

I think the only hung left to try is a more powerful/more recent cpu

On 11/9/2018 at 7:29 PM, RyzenDoctor said:

Different games are programmed in a different manner. Some rely on the CPU heavily for physics and AI, which doesn’t leave much headroom if things heat up in game leading to stutter.

its not a motherboard issue per se, but the interaction of your cpu, GPU, and software installed. Your motherboard for the most part serves as the wiring that holds everything together. If a wire is cut (broken trace or dead chip) nothing would work. 

I think the only hung left to try is a more powerful/more recent cpu

This just doesn't make sense that two different ha swell Cpu's would do that. They should work fine on soem older game but they don't.

Plenty of people play on these with no issues, the only thing I can think of is some way that the Motherboard or Bios is juggling all of this.

• 2 years later...

Hi

I know this is an old thread, but it's super difficult to find threads like these where someone has had this issue. I've also tested multiple parts on my pc, ( gpus, psus, ssd, ram, etc), and get these weird frametime spikes.. I read what the person said above about it possibly being CPU , my msi afterburner graphs look similiar to that. I am running an 8700k , 2070 super, evga 750w, 32gb 3600mhz ram.

In COD, it runs pretty smooth. No frametime spikes, or not nearly as bad. In a game such as fortnite, where a potato can run it, I get these terrible 50-100 ms spikes, same as PUBG.

If a grenade goes off, or at times where I fire a weapon, a massive spike will occur. Which makes me believe something is taking up time to process it which leads to stutters. 

I was wondering if you were able to fix your issue from getting a new CPU? Or if you did, what did you do to fix it?

Thanks! 

On 1/17/2021 at 8:35 AM, Larball999 said:

Hi

I know this is an old thread, but it's super difficult to find threads like these where someone has had this issue. I've also tested multiple parts on my pc, ( gpus, psus, ssd, ram, etc), and get these weird frametime spikes.. I read what the person said above about it possibly being CPU , my msi afterburner graphs look similiar to that. I am running an 8700k , 2070 super, evga 750w, 32gb 3600mhz ram.

In COD, it runs pretty smooth. No frametime spikes, or not nearly as bad. In a game such as fortnite, where a potato can run it, I get these terrible 50-100 ms spikes, same as PUBG.

If a grenade goes off, or at times where I fire a weapon, a massive spike will occur. Which makes me believe something is taking up time to process it which leads to stutters. 

I was wondering if you were able to fix your issue from getting a new CPU? Or if you did, what did you do to fix it?

Thanks! 

did you figure out what the problem is.I have the same prob

• 3 weeks later...

Omg yes please!! i'm having the same issue to. according to steam overlay i'm dropping like 4-10 fps when i have 144fps but it's causing a split second freeze that's is so annoying. but on games like rocket league when i'm in a match. no noticeable stutters. I've been slaving away aronud my computer since late December 2020 trying to figure it out. i don't know if my computer performance matches the utilization like OP but also my cpu was thermal throttling because of my stock intel cpu cooler wearing out i guess. not a Notcua cpu cooler and no more thermal throttling but i'm getting the same weird spikes. i must've caused a bit on damage to my cpu running it that hot for that long. i'm at my wits end trying to figure it out and have my pc run like it used to 

• 4 weeks later...

I think i found the solution...

Try to "ground your pc", search it on youtube how to do it, cause it's really ez to do it and it just take like 1 - 2 minutes to set it up. And i highly recommend you to do the harder way which is grounding on your terminal too rather than grounding on your pc only...

How do i know this? Well because i have the same issue like you, and even though i always replacing my parts, it's always stuttering  and even lagging... But now, my pc is never lagging again and it run smooth like a butter.

And if you still have the issue than probably some of your part is already being damage by the excessive static electricity, and you need to change it.

On 11/5/2018 at 6:07 PM, Polarisandneptune276 said:

Also is this voltage an issue, it is jumping from 1-0 constantly.

image.thumb.png.200c64205f77ae39e6282409f5ae70c3.png

Nah, that's actually quite normal *as in completely normal 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 9 months later...

I would love to know if anyone has managed a solution to this as I have a similar problem, infact almost identical.

RTX 2080 TI

32GB DDR4 @ 3000mhz

• 5 months later...

Did anybody ever figure out a solution to this problem? I found it via google because I sadly have the same issue, VERY tl;dr of some extremely depressing past few weeks summarized, after extensive testing, literally the only thing I can think of is my motherboard is faulty,(https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-B450M-A-CSM/) but, I'm a very frugal person and it would eat me alive like crazy to buy a new part and it not fix the problem. I have a quite potent pc even for 1440p gaming, 3700x, 32gb 3000mhz ram, 3070 gpu, two sata ssd, four 7200rpm hdd. Temps are ok, new windows install actually made the issue worse, I really think it's the mobo since upon recommendation I updated the bios and it made the pc BSOD like crazy and crash/hang/freeze until I reverted back. Drives checked out fine in HDD sentinel. On the newest AMD chipset drivers, newest GPU drivers. I've tried my older working rx 480 8gb gpu and it did the same stuttering random lag fps drops in games. I know something is faulty because this pc does this in all games, from old Resident Evil 5, 7 Days to Die, to Dead by Daylight, to the new Evil Dead game, to Fortnite. Fortnite, DBD, Evil Dead, and 7 Days to Die are even installed on my secondary Crucial BX500 960gb sata ssd which basically maxes out the sata6 interface. This pc didn't used to do this, only the past few months but it's steadily gotten worse. My Samsung 840 OS ssd checked out fine in extensive SeaTools testing. Ram tested fine in windows memory diagnostic and nearly 7 hours of memtest86. I just truly don't get it, a 3070 should game on 1440p like a breeze nonetheless using DLSS. Upon recommendation, did 30 mins (I actually went over and did ~33 mins) of AIDA64 system stability testing and it passed fine, testing the CPU, FPU, CACHE, and SYSTEM MEMORY. Temps were within limits, I'm only using the stock 3700X cpu cooler, which, at least years ago I vaguely remember reading was more or less equal to the old venerable hyper 212-and in stressing only got to 80c and stayed.

I'm seriously contemplating buying another am4 motherboard, power supply, and case to frankenstein together a secondary pc using my old rx 480 and ryzen 1700 to have a testbench for troubleshooting. It's really really sucked not having a second modern ddr4 system to test stuff on....I guess I took having a modern (at the time) ddr3 secondary pc in years prior for granted being able to troubleshoot stuff. Since games do it on my old gpu too I've ruled out my 3070 being a problem 100%. PSU is a well rated 620w Seasonic, nothing is overclocked. Using an old Cooler master elite 430 case with no cable management whatsoever I need to upgrade at some point lol...I've just been main-ing this ryzen tower in one upgrade fashion or the other for years. I know 3000mhz cl16 isn't "ideal"  but it's leftover from the ram price gouging days a few years ago when 16gb of ram was nearly 200 bucks. In benchmark charts online, at 1440p, 2933-3600mhz ram has very very little to no difference in gaming I saw. Only using three 120mm fans, front and side intake, rear exhaust. It's not like I'm running a ton of power sucking components overclocked or anything. Once again temps are ok. I'm an MSI afterburner noob and couldn't get it to show up in-game despite setting a hot-key to f8 in the options, but, I popped out the hardware monitor on my 2nd 1080p monitor. In the frametime ms, the huge big spikes at the beginning were major fps drops lagging in the Fortnite pre-game lobby, then the lower points were average points where I couldn't notice any discernable lag. The big frametime spikes were from when it was doing that weird fps drop lag when I landed in this desert town and tried fighting some people but couldn't find loot, I ran away, healed, another spike was when I killed a guy and it lagged. Basically any high frametime in that chart is horrible lags I'm having. I have wired ethernet 200mbps down, and approx ~20-25mbps upload. Way more than enough to game. It didn't used to do this on worse specs years ago and a slower connection. For what it was worth, ryzen 1700, 16gb 2933 ram, and 8gb rx 480 on 1080p was very smooth even with most games back then on hdd.

I used to play all of these games, very tl;dr on much weaker older pc's in comparison without these problems....something is definitely faulty. It's POSSIBLE it could be the cpu, but, I'm not about to buy another 3700x all these years later to test lol, I'd rather go 5000 series, or maybe intel 10th gen on the frugal route, or, I could get buy for many years fine with even a new 12th gen 12400f tbh. I've probably forgotten some details since it's been an extremely depressing past few weeks but I've done extensive testing, ram and drives checked fine, gpu fine, temps ok, all it could be really is the motherboard and/or cpu dying. Especially since the mobo fritzed out like mad after updating the bios with all the BSOD like crazy and crashing/freezing until old bios version was reverted back to. I'm seriously considering maybe frankensteining together something cheap to switch to, I didn't end up streaming like I thought I would so the 3700x cores/threads were pointless for me, and, streaming encoding can be moved to the gpu these days anyway. I'd wager even a 10th gen 6 core 12 thread i5 would be fine for this entire ps5/xbox series x|s gen.

This is worthy of me creating my own topic as a desparate call for help, so I'll be doing that too. Thanks for any help in reply to this or my own topic I'm about to make 🙂

msi afterburner high frametime ms in fortnite.png

Edited by WhiteSnake91
Forgot some info to add

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2022 at 4:23 PM, WhiteSnake91 said:

Did anybody ever figure out a solution to this problem? I found it via google because I sadly have the same issue, VERY tl;dr of some extremely depressing past few weeks summarized, after extensive testing, literally the only thing I can think of is my motherboard is faulty,(https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-B450M-A-CSM/) but, I'm a very frugal person and it would eat me alive like crazy to buy a new part and it not fix the problem. I have a quite potent pc even for 1440p gaming, 3700x, 32gb 3000mhz ram, 3070 gpu, two sata ssd, four 7200rpm hdd. Temps are ok, new windows install actually made the issue worse, I really think it's the mobo since upon recommendation I updated the bios and it made the pc BSOD like crazy and crash/hang/freeze until I reverted back. Drives checked out fine in HDD sentinel. On the newest AMD chipset drivers, newest GPU drivers. I've tried my older working rx 480 8gb gpu and it did the same stuttering random lag fps drops in games. I know something is faulty because this pc does this in all games, from old Resident Evil 5, 7 Days to Die, to Dead by Daylight, to the new Evil Dead game, to Fortnite. Fortnite, DBD, Evil Dead, and 7 Days to Die are even installed on my secondary Crucial BX500 960gb sata ssd which basically maxes out the sata6 interface. This pc didn't used to do this, only the past few months but it's steadily gotten worse. My Samsung 840 OS ssd checked out fine in extensive SeaTools testing. Ram tested fine in windows memory diagnostic and nearly 7 hours of memtest86. I just truly don't get it, a 3070 should game on 1440p like a breeze nonetheless using DLSS. Upon recommendation, did 30 mins (I actually went over and did ~33 mins) of AIDA64 system stability testing and it passed fine, testing the CPU, FPU, CACHE, and SYSTEM MEMORY. Temps were within limits, I'm only using the stock 3700X cpu cooler, which, at least years ago I vaguely remember reading was more or less equal to the old venerable hyper 212-and in stressing only got to 80c and stayed.

I'm seriously contemplating buying another am4 motherboard, power supply, and case to frankenstein together a secondary pc using my old rx 480 and ryzen 1700 to have a testbench for troubleshooting. It's really really sucked not having a second modern ddr4 system to test stuff on....I guess I took having a modern (at the time) ddr3 secondary pc in years prior for granted being able to troubleshoot stuff. Since games do it on my old gpu too I've ruled out my 3070 being a problem 100%. PSU is a well rated 620w Seasonic, nothing is overclocked. Using an old Cooler master elite 430 case with no cable management whatsoever I need to upgrade at some point lol...I've just been main-ing this ryzen tower in one upgrade fashion or the other for years. I know 3000mhz cl16 isn't "ideal"  but it's leftover from the ram price gouging days a few years ago when 16gb of ram was nearly 200 bucks. In benchmark charts online, at 1440p, 2933-3600mhz ram has very very little to no difference in gaming I saw. Only using three 120mm fans, front and side intake, rear exhaust. It's not like I'm running a ton of power sucking components overclocked or anything. Once again temps are ok. I'm an MSI afterburner noob and couldn't get it to show up in-game despite setting a hot-key to f8 in the options, but, I popped out the hardware monitor on my 2nd 1080p monitor. In the frametime ms, the huge big spikes at the beginning were major fps drops lagging in the Fortnite pre-game lobby, then the lower points were average points where I couldn't notice any discernable lag. The big frametime spikes were from when it was doing that weird fps drop lag when I landed in this desert town and tried fighting some people but couldn't find loot, I ran away, healed, another spike was when I killed a guy and it lagged. Basically any high frametime in that chart is horrible lags I'm having. I have wired ethernet 200mbps down, and approx ~20-25mbps upload. Way more than enough to game. It didn't used to do this on worse specs years ago and a slower connection. For what it was worth, ryzen 1700, 16gb 2933 ram, and 8gb rx 480 on 1080p was very smooth even with most games back then on hdd.

I used to play all of these games, very tl;dr on much weaker older pc's in comparison without these problems....something is definitely faulty. It's POSSIBLE it could be the cpu, but, I'm not about to buy another 3700x all these years later to test lol, I'd rather go 5000 series, or maybe intel 10th gen on the frugal route, or, I could get buy for many years fine with even a new 12th gen 12400f tbh. I've probably forgotten some details since it's been an extremely depressing past few weeks but I've done extensive testing, ram and drives checked fine, gpu fine, temps ok, all it could be really is the motherboard and/or cpu dying. Especially since the mobo fritzed out like mad after updating the bios with all the BSOD like crazy and crashing/freezing until old bios version was reverted back to. I'm seriously considering maybe frankensteining together something cheap to switch to, I didn't end up streaming like I thought I would so the 3700x cores/threads were pointless for me, and, streaming encoding can be moved to the gpu these days anyway. I'd wager even a 10th gen 6 core 12 thread i5 would be fine for this entire ps5/xbox series x|s gen.

This is worthy of me creating my own topic as a desparate call for help, so I'll be doing that too. Thanks for any help in reply to this or my own topic I'm about to make 🙂

msi afterburner high frametime ms in fortnite.png

ive had the same issues lol i just decided to build a whole new pc 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2022 at 7:04 AM, xtert said:

ive had the same issues lol i just decided to build a whole new pc 

This is what I ended up doing as well, parts are coming this week...didn't really wanna spend a ton of money but wanted a good enough specced one to last at least a few years, I at least want to ride out the rest of this console gen trouble free. Got a 12th gen i5 12500, h670 mobo, 32gb 3600mhz ram, SK Hynix 2tb gen4 nvme p41 platinum 7000mb speed ssd- went a bit overboard, several major sites say it's the best available consumerist ssd, but, I plan on sticking with it for the long haul...I had a regular Samsung 840 250gb for nearly 10 years...going to reuse my 3070 gpu. Will make a great 1440p high refresh gaming pc. Going to reuse my 1tb ssd and a few 7200rpm hdd. I thought my 1tb ssd was faulty, but, upon reading, found out it's dramless which truly suffers bleh speeds when nearly full...cleared up some space and performance improved in disc benchmarks.

Words truly will NEVER be able to do the depression and frustrations I've dealt with for months justice. I did everything I could, did extensive testing. Either I've had the worst luck ever with motherboards or my 3700x ryzen is faulty combined with being hit by the apparent widespread ryzen "fTPM" issue. AMD acknowledged it months ago but venders didn't release a bios update fix until May but unfortunately it didn't fix things for myself and others. When myself and others posted about the fix not working for us, we were essentially met with crickets and tumbleweeds and were basically left out to dry and abandoned. I guess they expected us to just sit around and suffer....idk. I'm not even too picky on performance as long as a game is smooth, the horrible random stuttering, lag, and fps drops and even my entire pc randomly locking up was infuriating.

So, I decided to go 12th gen intel which isn't affected by the fTPM ryzen issues. At this point I would have been happy with an el cheapo Xbox Series S setup with a cheap 32inch 1080p tv and one of those old school gaming rocker chairs that go on the floor just for a reliable set it and forget it setup like I had back in the day on the 360/XB1.... I sure do miss the good old days on windows 7 with reliable ivy bridge/sandy bridge and set it and forget it 1600mhz ram or even 1333. I chose intel 12500 since it didn't have E cores and didn't require win11, I'm staying on win10 with ddr4. Do NOT want to deal with win11 headaches for at least a few more years till they iron out stuff.

Throwing in the towel on this build. I don't per se have anything against ryzens, but, dear lord I've had more trouble with them than anything in my entire life in regards to pc building/gaming.

If anybody ever reads this in the future, look into the whole ryzen fTPM thing. Like I said though I said screw it and am throwing in the towel...I'm not a little kid anymore that can just keep tinkering with stuff indefinitely to have a pc that simply works right. At a certain age you just want stuff to work right without problems. Truly been frustrating and depressing beyond words paying a lot of money for a high specced 1440p high refresh rate capable pc to have it stutter and lag even in older games and even have windows lock up. No virus, many fresh OS installs, temps ok, drives checked ok, blah blah blah. Goodbye ryzen lol. Friends with old 8700k's were playing games very smoothly meanwhile I was a stuttering and lagging mess.