Is it worth switching my old pc to Linux

Have my last pc which I’m turning into a home media box server thing, and it’s just running the free windows 10 update from a year ago or whenever that was. But I’m wondering if I should switch it to Linux or just keep it on windows. Because it’s not going to be used for much beyond storing stuff, playing shows, and running a TS or mumble server. But might change things down the road. Anyways do you guys think it’s worth changing it, or would it just be best to keep it as is?

If nothing else do it just to learn Linux. It'll come in handy when windows becomes unusable and forces you to install updates as soon as they hit and you can't install chrome or Firefox. (It'll happen eventually I swear)

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 hours ago, Studio_Fan said:

Have my last pc which I’m turning into a home media box server thing, and it’s just running the free windows 10 update from a year ago or whenever that was. But I’m wondering if I should switch it to Linux or just keep it on windows. Because it’s not going to be used for much beyond storing stuff, playing shows, and running a TS or mumble server. But might change things down the road. Anyways do you guys think it’s worth changing it, or would it just be best to keep it as is?

Switch. Windows will break everything after a couple updates and by that time, you will need to clean reinstall an OS, windows or not. 

To be fair however, an update on Linux will also sometimes break stuffs. Had that happened to me once... But it really depends on the distros

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Which one would you recommend for some one who isn’t a programmer. Ubuntu I know is the most popular, and mint is I think second place in popularity. But it seems manjaro is getting popular. Though I don’t need something complex, just it runs well and is easy to use.

I don't care for it personally, but OpenSUSE Leap has graphical tools to configure most everything & has a large community.  I like fedora myself, but it's new packages aren't the most stable.  Mageia is a stable, beginner friendly distro as well, but it doesn't have as large of a community.

Sure, I'd use Linux on it. Unless you have a strong personal preference for windows that is. For a media center/storage server I'd recommend Debian. You can install kodi to have easier access to your media library. If you're feeling adventurous, you could also try Arch - but it's not for beginners.

I wouldn't go for one of the more "complete" distributions like Ubuntu because they come with a bunch of stuff you don't really need in this case.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

16 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Sure, I'd use Linux on it. Unless you have a strong personal preference for windows that is. For a media center/storage server I'd recommend Debian. You can install kodi to have easier access to your media library. If you're feeling adventurous, you could also try Arch - but it's not for beginners.

I wouldn't go for one of the more "complete" distributions like Ubuntu because they come with a bunch of stuff you don't really need in this case.

Debian I’ll look into since right now I was looking at mint do to its ease of use.