Is It Incredibly Dumb to Buy a Nintendo Switch in Late 2018?

Go to solution Solved by LinusTech,

I love my Switch, but my use case is a little unique. Gaming while sitting down isn't really doable for me and something I can take with me on the go makes a ton more sense. 

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Vague rumors, which also suggest late 2019 release.

What is said to be is the same Switch design, but with more storage built-in (which is perfectly possible, as storage price continues to drop), so maybe it will have 64GB (my guess) built-in, yay?!. But more interestingly, the Tegra X2 chip instead of the X1 (which can be downclocked for longer battery life and reduce heat, and have about the same performance, or just bring in more performance) and 8GB of RAM instead of 4GB.

Currently, the dev kits of the Switch has the same hardware, maybe (my guess) the Tegra X1 runs at full speed instead of reduced CPU speed even when docked, and has 8GB of RAM. But that is more to handle dev tools, and be able to run the game in debug mode (costs performance), to help them diagnose bugs and issue.

Personally, I think, if there is a Switch revision 2, I think it will be the same thing as now, but 900p games when docked can run at 1080p, games with dynamic resolution can run more often at higher resolution, the added memory bandwidth of the Tegra X2 and quantity, will allow a bit higher resolution textures to be used (but will they? As high capacity cartridges costs more, or we will see more games where the cartridge has a fraction of the game, and the rest is acquired online (so might as well get the game from the online store, anyways...), and games run a tad smoother for those who had a bit trouble keeping up 30fps or 60fps.

Definitely nice, but I don't expect Nintendo will make it so that it is vastly superior. Now I could be wrong.. but Nintendo has not been interested in making super powerful hardware. Technically the Switch was supposed to have 3GB of RAM (2GB for RAM), and I think they only put 4GB, because games studios, especially Capcom, pushed Nintendo to add another 1GB to it, and probably they bent down due to the WiiU lack of third party support and poor sales.

Hmm. That's a good point. I don't see any massive flaws that Nintendo could improve, other than small, incremental performance improvements. The Tegra X2 would a nice bump, and doubling the ram would be awesome to have, but it's Nintendo. I don't think we can expect a new switch until late 2019 or even early 2020. Speaking of which, how the hell is it almost 2020? That's a very futuristic sounding year. I'll take a look at black Friday deals, and see if I can get it for $350 CAD. That would be very nice. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2018 at 8:36 PM, GoodBytes said:

Vague rumors, which also suggest late 2019 release.

What is said to be is the same Switch design, but with more storage built-in (which is perfectly possible, as storage price continues to drop), so maybe it will have 64GB (my guess) built-in, yay?!. But more interestingly, the Tegra X2 chip instead of the X1 (which can be downclocked for longer battery life and reduce heat, and have about the same performance, or just bring in more performance) and 8GB of RAM instead of 4GB.

Currently, the dev kits of the Switch has the same hardware, maybe (my guess) the Tegra X1 runs at full speed instead of reduced CPU speed even when docked, and has 8GB of RAM. But that is more to handle dev tools, and be able to run the game in debug mode (costs performance), to help them diagnose bugs and issue.

Personally, I think, if there is a Switch revision 2, I think it will be the same thing as now, but 900p games when docked can run at 1080p, games with dynamic resolution can run more often at higher resolution, the added memory bandwidth of the Tegra X2 and quantity, will allow a bit higher resolution textures to be used (but will they? As high capacity cartridges costs more, or we will see more games where the cartridge has a fraction of the game, and the rest is acquired online (so might as well get the game from the online store, anyways...), and games run a tad smoother for those who had a bit trouble keeping up 30fps or 60fps.

Definitely nice, but I don't expect Nintendo will make it so that it is vastly superior. Now I could be wrong.. but Nintendo has not been interested in making super powerful hardware. Technically the Switch was supposed to have 3GB of RAM (2GB for RAM), and I think they only put 4GB, because games studios, especially Capcom, pushed Nintendo to add another 1GB to it, and probably they bent down due to the WiiU lack of third party support and poor sales.

It'd be cool if they also improved the battery life a Tegra X2 would be awesome but I won't hold my breath and I'm not sure I would want it in the long run because I don't want them to "New" the Switch like they did the 3DS and make it slightly more powerful and make exclusives to it. In my mind they would be better off improving little things and waiting to release a true next gen Switch with more power years later

Honestly unless you just can't wait, I would say hold off a bit. Nintendo might always release a better version like they did with the 3DS. I'm personally waiting to see how things are when Fire Emblem comes out since that's the only Nintendo IP I'm interested in nowadays.

well there are rumors of a switch pro with better hardware...but then again knowing nintendo the prices for the games nor the old version of the switch wont drop when the pro version comes out so it would be pointless in waiting... unless of course you want the better hardware... hmm only 3 games on switch worth my attention Breath of the Wild, Fire Emblem 3 houses and Mario+Rabbids (reminds me of xcom) and seeing that there is no real pokemon game out on it i can wait... octopath traveler looks good too... at the end of the day if its worth the money to you then you can buy it

Bolivia.

On 11/17/2018 at 12:53 AM, mrlmaokun said:

Honestly unless you just can't wait, I would say hold off a bit. Nintendo might always release a better version like they did with the 3DS. 

15 hours ago, SupremeGOAT said:

well there are rumors of a switch pro with better hardware... and seeing that there is no real pokemon game out on it i can wait... 

Something that's true for any tech really, there's always something else that's potentially better just around the corner. A good way to save money I guess but while you're waiting for the next thing everyone else is enjoying the current thing. Especially given that there is no actual announcement of a revision yet so it's at least a year away.

And in any case, is it even worth holding out for a revision? What could they add to a Switch revision that would make the current SKU entirely worthless? If/when it gets a revision it'll probably just be a CPU/GPU bump, more internal storage and maybe a revised dock that supports HDR etc. But it's still going to be portable, it's still going to be underpowered. It's not going to be a pocketable 2080 or even a PS4 Pro competitor. If you were buying one then by all means, get the newer revision.... but I wouldn't wait for it and as someone who has a Switch I wouldn't be rushing out to upgrade.

Also on Pokemon, 2019

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Over the last few console generations the Nintendo consoles have always been a nice compliment to owning a gaming PC.  Get the Switch.