Can you test a motherboard without a cpu?

Go to solution Solved by airdeano,

nope. the basic function of POST needs a CPU/RAM and some sort of display adapter.

This may be a dumb question, but is there any way to test out a motherboard fully without a cpu? For example, I am looking at a used x470 mobo, but since I do not have my processor yet, I want to know if there is a way I could test it out without one. I looked at some previous threads, but I didn't really find anything helpful. Is it possible or naw? I have all the parts besides the ram and cpu btw

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

5 minutes ago, airdeano said:

nope. the basic function of POST needs a CPU/RAM and some sort of display adapter.

So, on the asrock x470 fatal1ty gaming k4, which has built-in-lighting, could I plug the mobo into the psu and see if the lights turn on? Or would this be a pretty useless tell on whether or not it works?

mobo: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157836&Description=asrock fatal1ty x470&cm_re=asrock_fatal1ty_x470-_-13-157-836-_-Product

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

2 minutes ago, airdeano said:

kinda putting the cart before the horse.

lights working doesn't boast whether the mobo works or not.

HA true

3 minutes ago, airdeano said:

$40 for a a6-9550 and you can test the mobo and video is onboard.

Oh, smart, thanks for the help!

Best advice I ever got about used gear was from my motorcycle mechanic.  I was eyeing an ad for a used bike; seller said it ran fine but didn't have a battery.  My mech told me that it didn't run fine until the seller proved it did, and a bike without a battery is not a running bike.

Same goes for your mobo.  A used mobo without a CPU, GPU (onboard or discreet) and RAM to test it isn't a working mobo.  Burden is on the seller to prove it works, not you.  If seller does not have minimum components to at least post, and preferrably boot to an OS, don't even go over to see it.  Message him and offer him $20 or walk.

This board is over $200 (CAD) new, less with a rebate.  If he is selling for significantly less, why is that?  Do you want to shell out $100 (my guess for sellers asking price) for a used board with questionable warrenty at best?  Do you want to spend an extra $40 on a cheap CPU to test it?  What will you do with that CPU?  Sell it for $10?

If your budget doesn't allow for a new board, and the seller can't prove this one works, you would be better to down spec your MOBO requirements and get something in the $100-$120 range.  But if you absolutely need all the features of this board, better save up for one that is reliable.  Even a used one that works the day you bought it comes with no guarantees.

My system specs:

Intel i7 Kaby Lake 7700K 4.2 GHz CPU with Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Tower Cooler

ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming/Aura MOBO

HyperX Fury 32GB (4x 8gb) DDR4 Ram @ 2400 MHz

EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6BG Graphics Card

Samsung 970 PRO 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD (System) / Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA SSD (Programs & Apps)

3 assorted 1TB HDD Drives / ASUS DVD R/W

EVGA Supernova 750 G2 750W Power Supply

Windows 10 Home