Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New build (motherboard?) troubleshooting

Hello everyone, 

Yesterday all my new pc compenants arrived in the mail, I set up everything plugged it in and had no display. Since then I’ve spent about 8 hours messing around on forums, texting friends and family who may be able to help and scratching my head.

I have since bread boarded my motherboard, there is some basic lighting on the mobo that lights up but no power other than that runs through. I have a cheap little speaker for troubleshooting I have set up and regardless of what parts I add or take out I get no beep codes. Any component I plug into the motherboard does not power up, no fan spins, no other lights than the mobo, nothing. I noticed when the CPU is removed from the board it won’t light up anymore - if that’s helpful at all.

could it be that my BIOS is outdated? And if so what would my best route be considering I don’t have another CPU to troubleshoot with and I don’t have much money to spend on getting someone else to do it / buying a cpu to update the bios with. (This is assuming I need to get my pc to boot in order to update)

Specs:

asus prime a320m-k prime

rosewill arc-550 550w PSU

Ryzen 5 2600

gtx 1060 6gb winforce oc

Viper 2x4GB DDR4 2400mhz

Wait, disregard my last comment. I think your motherboard might need a BIOS update to support 2nd Gen Ryzen CPUs.

1 hour ago, That_PC_Kid said:

Did you plug in the 8pin CPU connector?

My board has a 4 Pin connector and I made sure it was fully plugged in aswell as the square and half circle kinda slots where in the right place. 24 Pin connector is also fully plugged in.

1 hour ago, That_PC_Kid said:

Wait, disregard my last comment. I think your motherboard might need a BIOS update to support 2nd Gen Ryzen CPUs.

Is there any work around for my situation, or will I need to bring it somewhere and hope they can do it for free or atleast cheap

Your A320 chipset motherboard needs a BIOS update to support Ryzen 2 CPUs like the R5 2600.

1 minute ago, Vizaghi said:

Is there any work around for my situation, or will I need to bring it somewhere and hope they can do it for free or atleast cheap

RMA your old motherboard and get one with the A420/B450/X470 chipset.

You can also just buy a cheap Ryzen CPU like the R3 1200, update your motherboard's BIOS with it, and then return the CPU.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

3 minutes ago, That_PC_Kid said:

I may be mistaken but I'm pretty sure 2nd gen ryzen is backwards compatible with fist gen mobos

Main And Only Build : CPU : Ryzen 5 1600x (OC to 4.2GHz), Cooler : Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 240 TT Premium Edition, Motherboard : Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming, RAM : Trident Z RGB 16GB (2*8) 3000Mhz DDR4, GPU : Gigabyte Gaming GTX 1070 TI, PSU : EVGA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified, Storage : 250GB Samsung 860 Evo + 256GB SU800 + 2TB Seagate HDD.

1 hour ago, Vizaghi said:

You'll need a 1st Gen Ryzen CPU or an AM4 Athlon CPU to be able to preform the BIOS update. Additionally, I think you file a warranty claim with AMD and they'll send you a free boot kit. You can find more information on that here:

https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/2Gen-Ryzen-AM4-System-Bootup.aspx

1 hour ago, Maxisthemoose said:

I may be mistaken but I'm pretty sure 2nd gen ryzen is backwards compatible with fist gen mobos

You're right, they are. However, you need a BIOS update for the Motherboard to recognize 2nd Gen Ryzen CPUs.

2 hours ago, That_PC_Kid said:

You'll need a 1st Gen Ryzen CPU or an AM4 Athlon CPU to be able to preform the BIOS update. Additionally, I think you file a warranty claim with AMD and they'll send you a free boot kit. You can find more information on that here:

https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/2Gen-Ryzen-AM4-System-Bootup.aspx

You're right, they are. However, you need a BIOS update for the Motherboard to recognize 2nd Gen Ryzen CPUs.

Awesome! , I’ve applied for a boot kit. I guess I’ll call around tomorrow to see if a retail location can help me out.

Located in Vancouver if any locals know.