Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Should I buy this LG G5 (and it's accessories)

sauronofmordor

Go to solution Solved by Rupe,

As someone who has been using the G5 for a while now, I feel like I can answer your question. The battery life is not great, although get a second battery (as I can see in your basket) and keep that on you and take advantage of that feature. Plus if you are getting it second hand it's worth getting a new battery anyway. The screen looks great to me. The camera I think is really good and it's nice to have the wide angle option as well. It uses USB-C. The fingerprint scanner is fast and consistent.

Now one issue, the phone has a tendency for the GPS to go wrong. I had to get mine repaired and it's a known issue that this phones GPS will fairly often go wrong. There is a fix for it and the phone is really easy to open up, just two screws no hot glue or anything https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g5/how-to/gps-issues-demystified-t3707934. And the GPS might not go wrong. Just had to mention it.

The processor is a Snapdragon 820 which is still a decent chip, 2016 flagship chip. Assuming the GPS plays nice I think it ticks all your boxes. 

So currently I'm looking into buying the LG G5 with all of its accessories as shown in the picture below, and am wondering if you guys have any other opinions about this or other phones to look at before I bite the bullet and purchase all of this.

206883963_LGG5ShoppingCart.PNG.51b51bdb5f601aff89223c114051e8b5.PNG

and to confirm, yes I do run sprint, and no changing carriers isn't an option (so if you guys suggest phones please keep in mind that international models (GSM only) are a no-no, look for CDMA). Any phone must meet the below criteria:

MUST HAVES:

GRAND TOTAL (including cost of phone, shipping, taxes and all accessories) must come in at $107 or less

it HAS to have a good GPS I use my phone for navigation while driving and while hiking as my sole source of navigation, so it needs to work well. (and maybe a bit of Pokemon go on the side ;))

at least 2 GB of ram

at least 16GB of storage

at Least android 6.0 (Marshmallow) 

Nice to haves:

a good battery life

micro sd slot

fingerprint reader/ face id/ iris detection/ etc.

fast charge

Non issues:

Display (type or resolution, as long as there's no burn-in)

Camera

Size

connection (usb-c or micro, i really don't care)

used vs. new (again no burn-in though)

processor (THOUGH PLEASE NOTE: processor tends to be linked to GPS performance which is a MUST)

As someone who has been using the G5 for a while now, I feel like I can answer your question. The battery life is not great, although get a second battery (as I can see in your basket) and keep that on you and take advantage of that feature. Plus if you are getting it second hand it's worth getting a new battery anyway. The screen looks great to me. The camera I think is really good and it's nice to have the wide angle option as well. It uses USB-C. The fingerprint scanner is fast and consistent.

Now one issue, the phone has a tendency for the GPS to go wrong. I had to get mine repaired and it's a known issue that this phones GPS will fairly often go wrong. There is a fix for it and the phone is really easy to open up, just two screws no hot glue or anything https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g5/how-to/gps-issues-demystified-t3707934. And the GPS might not go wrong. Just had to mention it.

The processor is a Snapdragon 820 which is still a decent chip, 2016 flagship chip. Assuming the GPS plays nice I think it ticks all your boxes. 

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues