I5 4670k Based Used Sytem

da_shack

Hi everyone,

Christmas is coming up and I wanted to build a computer for my younger brother (mainly so he'll stop using mine lol)

Originally I was going to go with a budget Ryzen build (around 650$ cad) but then I got the idea of picking up a used system off of kijiji.

After fishing around I found what I think may be my potential winner but I'm not entirely sure, the system is as follow;

- i5 4670k OC -> 4.1GHz
- Asus Z87-A Motherboard
- 16 GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM
- Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB SSD
- Seagate 3 TB 7200RPM HDD
- Noctua NH U14S Heatsink
- Noctua NF A14 fan x3
- Fractal Design Define R4

EVGA 750 SuperNova G1+

- No GPU

The girl had It listed for 600 but said shed be willing to do 550$, I've got a friend who's looking to up grade his old

GTX 970 to a 1080ti and he said he'd give it too me for 175$. At 725$ its a bit more than I wanted to spend but I think for the price

It would be a very well rounded system and I'm sure my parents would pitch in if I asked.

I know the risks that are involved with buying used hardware but I'm hoping with some bench-marking with Prime95 and Cinebench I will be able to tell 

if the computers crapped out yet.

My main concern is the Haswell CPU, I personally run Devils Canyon in my computer and I while haven't notice any huge cpu bottle necks

in my games, but, I wanted your guys opinion. Would it be worth to pick up this system given its age or would i be better off with a new budget ryzen build?

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, da_shack said:

GTX 970 to a 1080ti and he said he'd give it too me for 175$

$175 for a 970 is too high, but the original system seems fine.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

12 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

$175 for a 970 is too high, but the original system seems fine.

Yeah, but at least where I am everyone seems to want 200$. I might be able to get it for 150$ but I doubt any cheaper than that.

I don't think the cards worth that but its what everyone is asking for them.

1 minute ago, da_shack said:

Yeah, but at least where I am everyone seems to want 200$. I might be able to get it for 150$ but I doubt any cheaper than that.

I don't think the cards worth that but its what everyone is asking for them.

well hard to argue with current market prices. If that's what it's based on then it's a good deal.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

One thing I would consider is future upgrades, Ryzen build can be upgraded to with coming ryzen series processors in future.

And to what does you brother do with computer, if he plays older games or lighter games like rocket league. Even something like ryzen 2400g might do the job well with 1080p monitor and better gpu can be bought later. Or you can put that gtx 970 on that ryzen computer. But cant really say as you didn't tell what kind of ryzen build you had in mind.