Trying to give life to a potentially dead PC

Go to solution Solved by WereCatf,
1 minute ago, Denniz03 said:

Thank you for your answer! Do you know which side is which?

CR2032.jpg.450x400_q85.jpg.09353c2749f3e54eb72d51a0eb855892.jpg

The left one is positive, the right one is negative. On the mobo, the two tabs coming from the sides and meeting in the middle are positive, the single tab coming straight up is the negative.

Hello, I have an Acer Aspire X3475 that has been left unused for almost 3 years I think, the CMOS battery is most certainly dead and I have so far gotten rid of the thermal paste. Tomorrow I am going to buy thermal paste for the CPU and also a CMOS battery if I can find a CR2032. I have three questions, do I need an expensive thermal paste rubbing alcohol to clean the CPU or is it possible to use a dry cotton swab to clean it? The last question I have is, does it matter which way I put the CMOS battery in the socket? 

Ask anything that could be important related to this if I need to elaborate.

(Sorry for the nasty insides.)

15413519782031558936800009739728.jpg

1541352246358151883572245036146.jpg

15413522701877370309552087056903.jpg

3 minutes ago, Denniz03 said:

I have three questions, do I need an expensive thermal paste rubbing alcohol to clean the CPU or is it possible to use a dry cotton swab to clean it? The last question I have is, does it matter which way I put the CMOS battery in the socket?

Just wiping the paste off is fine, unless you plan to really go balls-to-the-walls with overclocking. Also, yes, it does matter which way the battery is in there, because one side is positive and the other is negative.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

Just wiping the paste off is fine, unless you plan to really go balls-to-the-walls with overclocking. Also, yes, it does matter which way the battery is in there, because one side is positive and the other is negative.

1 minute ago, Denniz03 said:

CR2032.jpg.450x400_q85.jpg.09353c2749f3e54eb72d51a0eb855892.jpg

The left one is positive, the right one is negative. On the mobo, the two tabs coming from the sides and meeting in the middle are positive, the single tab coming straight up is the negative.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.