Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Super Mario Odyssey Is Now Fully Playable Via Nintendo Switch Emulator

Super Mario Odyssey Is Now Fully Playable Via Nintendo Switch Emulator

The Yuzu emulation team have been making some massive headway in Nintendo Switch emulation. The latest iteration of the emulator can now play Super Mario Odyssey from start to finish on a high-end PC at around 11fps.

So long as you have an i7 8700 or higher with 16GB of RAM and a GTX 980ti or faster, you’ll be able to top out at just over 10fps, capable of playing Super Mario Odyssey from the Nintendo Switch from the very beginning of the game to the very end, as noted by BSOD Gaming.

This is really cool that the devs are progressing so well, but that was partially expected since the Switch uses an already known architecture.

Sauce: https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/11/super-mario-odyssey-is-now-fully-playable-via-nintendo-switch-emulator/71458/ / http://archive.is/CN5KU

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

i get emulation old dead platforms, but on this new ones how is this any different from pirating the latest Assassins Creed for PC?

sure he could have the original game for the switch, but then he wouldn't he playing this crap fest on PC.

1 minute ago, asus killer said:

i get emulation old dead platforms, but on this new ones how is this any different from pirating the latest Assassins Creed for PC?

You need a jailbroken switch for this to work, as well as an original cartridge. Nintendo isn't missing out on any sales.

2 minutes ago, asus killer said:

he wouldn't he playing this crap fest on PC.

Not right now, but eventually it may become as smooth as the original and maybe even smoother to the point where you can start playing at a higher resolution or with higher quality filters. Not to mention you get to backup your progress without having to pay a yearly fee...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

You need a jailbroken switch for this to work, as well as an original cartridge. Nintendo isn't missing out on any sales.

i'm pretty sure someone riped the game from a cartridge to an ISO in order to play on PC. Lot's of people bought an xbox360 and didn't buy the games with all the piracy on the platform. How is there no lost sales?

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Not right now, but eventually it may become as smooth as the original and maybe even smoother to the point where you can start playing at a higher resolution or with higher quality filters. Not to mention you get to backup your progress without having to pay a yearly fee...

yep, that's true i've seen videos of people playing breath of the wild in 4k if i remember correctly. that's a good reason i guess, still not in the state he see in the video, that's pretty bad.

3 minutes ago, asus killer said:

i'm pretty sure someone riped the game from a cartridge to an ISO in order to play on PC. Lot's of people bought an xbox360 and didn't buy the games with all the piracy on the platform. How is there no lost sales?

I should clarify; you don't technically need a cartridge because there's no way to rip it, you need a switch with the game installed locally. You still had to buy it - and even if you didn't, you'd be doing nothing that can't already be done on a jailbroken switch.

Also, it's a good platform for developing homebrew games.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

you'd be doing nothing that can't already be done on a jailbroken switch.

i guess that doesn't help, jailbroken switch or ripped iso on PC it's still piracy, not very different from playing pirated games on PC.

I personally don't have any allergies for pirating content, do it occasionally, i just don't understand how this topic is tolerated, pretty sure a video on how to pirate assassins creed on pc would not be allowed. That guy has videos on YT on how to get the ISO's, how to pirate nintendo games essentially.

Just now, asus killer said:

i guess that doesn't help, jailbroken switch or ripped iso on PC it's still piracy, not very different from playing pirated games on PC

Yes, but I don't see why it would be any worse than just pirating it on the switch itself... pirates will be pirates...

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

Just now, Sauron said:

Yes, but I don't see why it would be any worse than just pirating it on the switch itself... pirates will be pirates...

that was never my point, i agree it's the same as pirating on the switch if you don't own the game either way.

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

I bet the lawyers over at Nintendo HQ are frothing at the mouth.

Especially since it's Nintendo. You can praise them for a lot of things, but when it comes to IP protection, you better hide. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Nintendo only respects copyright law wen it suits them. They abuse the shit out of it to benefit themselves in ways not in keeping with the spirit of the law. They deserve no respect.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

The game runs like crap, requires a beast of system and has graphical and audio glitches all over the place. No graphical improvements either.

If you can afford the PC powerful to barely run the game, you can afford Switch brand new in box + a game. You don't need to even bother with bundles or buying used.

Seeing that games like Luigi Mansion and Mario Sunshine, Game Cube Games, STILL, today, has graphical glitches on an actively developing Game Cube emulator that has been at since 2003 (despite great progress each year)... tells you, that things are more complicated than what it seems. Don't get your hopes up in having a genuine experience any time soon.

4 minutes ago, poochyena said:

imagine how much money nintendo would make with games released on PC. i refuse to play games on old outdated hardware.

Not well. It is because you don't understand Nintendo. Also, your hardware that you have right now, is outdated... so you play no games.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

The game runs like crap, requires a beast of system and has graphical and audio glitches all over the place. No graphical improvements either.

Because the emulator is very new... This has been he case for every early emulator.

If you can afford the PC powerful to barely run the game, you can afford Switch brand new in box + a game. You don't need to even bother with bundles or buying used.

That's just the way it is right now, because, again, it's incredibly early along.

Seeing that games like Luigi Mansion and Mario Sunshine, Game Cube Games, STILL, today, has graphical glitches on an actively developing Game Cube emulator that has been at since 2003 (despite great progress each year)... tells you, that things are more complicated than what it seems.

If they still have graphical glitches then they are incredibly minor or unnoticeable. Earlier this year I played through both those games on Dolphin and the experience was far superior to playing on original hardware. And I had beaten them both on GC/Wii dozens of times so I can definitely compare. Any minor graphical problem is easily made up for with all of the graphical improvements Dolphin brings.

Don't get your hopes up in having a genuine experience any time soon.

If this team is even half the team that the Cemu team is, then I'd give it a few years. Cemu seemingly came outta nowhere and can run a lot of Wii U games decently even on horrible FX systems such as mine. And the emulator ran like unplayable garbage on even the most powerful systems just a few years ago.

But again, this is all routine for new emulators. We're on course. :)

i7 2600k @ 4.9GHz 1.47v - EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 @ 1500mhz - 16GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 250GB SSD - 2x1TB HDD storage - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

Just now, 2Buck said:

Because the emulator is very new... This has been he case for every early emulator.

Yes, and by the time is decent, you would be 2-3 console generation ahead.

Just now, 2Buck said:

If they still have graphical glitches then they are incredibly minor or unnoticeable.

Some people will say that playing with rectangles and cubes is just as fun as the original experience. We all have different standards.

But the reality of things, is that, to get the original designed experience, it takes a very long time for emulators to be good, or get the console.

Just now, 2Buck said:

Earlier this year I played through both those games on Dolphin and the experience was far superior to playing on original hardware.

While it is nice to play games at higher resolutions, especially playing consoles designed for SD with CRT screen connected via coaxial or component video out on a nice high resolution digital display, you still have low textures, you still have limited shaders (for the console that uses them), you still have frame limiters, beside, depending on teh game, graphical glitches, audio glitches, and more.. not to mention that you playing with the incorrect controller (unless you get adapters or adapted version that manged to really replicate the original controllers).. so the experience is not the same.

Just now, 2Buck said:

If this team is even half the team that the Cemu team is, then I'd give it a few years. Cemu seemingly came outta nowhere and can run a lot of Wii U games decently even on horrible FX systems such as mine. And the emulator ran like unplayable garbage on even the most powerful systems just a few years ago.

Ok, and, in the end, can you play anywhere? Nope. You just broke the experience of the massive value and purpose of the Switch.

I think the title 'fully playable' is(whilst strictly true) a little misleading. If it's not a playable framerate, nobody is going to actually play the entire game this way.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

Yes, and by the time is decent, you would be 2-3 console generation ahead.

Not necessarily true, Cemu is only one generation behind and it works pretty well. And back when the Wii was the latest console (like 2011ish), Dolphin was doing very well.

to get the original designed experience, it takes a very long time for emulators to be good, or get the console.

Of course, accuracy is the hardest part of emulation and the biggest priority. But even before proper accuracy is achieved, you can get experiences from emulators that rival their original console counterparts.

While it is nice to play games at higher resolutions, especially playing consoles designed for SD with CRT screen connected via coaxial or component video out on a nice high resolution digital display, you still have low textures, you still have limited shaders (for the console that uses them), you still have frame limiters, beside, depending on teh game, graphical glitches, audio glitches, and more.. not to mention that you playing with the incorrect controller (unless you get adapters or adapted version that manged to really replicate the original controllers).. so the experience is not the same.

Even on games with framerate limiters, mature emulators can perform better than the original hardware and actually hold the maximum framerate. Go play goldeneye on the N64, it'll be running in the 20s and teens, even though the game is limited to 60. Now, go play in 1964 ultrafast, and you'll get a smooth 60 FPS the whole time. (It's actually a really cool experience by the way, give it a go anyone who loves N64.) Even games like Ocarina of Time, while limited to 24 FPS (AFAIR) ran below that a lot of the time. So benefits can be had from emulators, even if the framerate can't be unlocked.

Also, adapters are really cheap. I have an adapter for practically every Nintendo console and they work well. And besides, a lot of people actually prefer to use different controllers, it's part of the beauty of emulation. And again, The vast majority of games on Dolphin are perfect unless you look back and forth and compare every tiny detail, most people will never notice the difference.

Ok, and, in the end, can you play anywhere? Nope. You just broke the experience of the massive value and purpose of the Switch.

That is not the point of emulation, not even close. By that logic, Gameboy emulators on PC aren't good either. People don't expect an emulator to shape shift their PC into the original hardware.

Also, think of things like, ten+ years down the road when Nintendo has long since moved on from the Switch. Most of the Switch's library will be forgotten and unplayable on newer hardware, but emulation will preserve it, and that's the real beauty. I bet people were saying the same short sighted stuff about Visualboyadvance back in the early 2000s, but now, thanks to emulation, the GBA lives on, meanwhile Nintendo offers no legal way to play the vast majority of the GBA's library.

It's useless to fight emulation, it always wins in the end.

i7 2600k @ 4.9GHz 1.47v - EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 @ 1500mhz - 16GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 250GB SSD - 2x1TB HDD storage - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

5 hours ago, matrix07012 said:

Patreon

I am not too hip on this Patreon stuff, but isnt that where "artists" get money from their viewers?

Perhaps, but they are salaried lawyers, unless they get some bread crumbs for incentives. A big bonus or whatever. I did something similar with a civil lawyer.

5 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I bet the lawyers over at Nintendo HQ are frothing at the mouth.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Not well. It is because you don't understand Nintendo.

do you want to explain?

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

your hardware that you have right now, is outdated

Its not, but if it was, I could upgrade. I can't upgrade a wii or a switch in 10 years.

Fuck Ray Tracing: I want a 2080ti so it can run this slightly better.

Well not the 2080ti since it wouldn't gain that much but maybe for future generations, too bad Nvidia can't publicize this it might actually generate more interest than ray tracing. Incidentally how many months have we lived since launch still without having ray tracing in our lives?

-------

Current Rig

-------

I don't really know if I can consider this impressive or not considering how easy it was for homebrewers to jailbreak the system. The hardware isn't really the hard part, it's getting to know how the system software works.

It's the same reason why Microsoft got Xbox 360 emulation on what most PC gamers would call potato hardware

13 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Fuck Ray Tracing: I want a 2080ti so it can run this slightly better.

Well not the 2080ti since it wouldn't gain that much but maybe for future generations, too bad Nvidia can't publicize this it might actually generate more interest than ray tracing. Incidentally how many months have we lived since launch still without having ray tracing in our lives?

Buying a 2080ti instead of a switch+games is the best thing to do....financially ;) 

What I will say though, in favour of emulators. Is that Windwaker at high res in triple screens is the most glorious thing

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

17 hours ago, Ross Siggers said:

Buying a 2080ti instead of a switch+games is the best thing to do....financially ;) 

What I will say though, in favour of emulators. Is that Windwaker at high res in triple screens is the most glorious thing

Hey it's the 2080ti it's 700 past making even the most tenuous of financial sense to most middle class incomes.

-------

Current Rig

-------