Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Win 10 Pro - Suggestions on how to clone/make system image

Vash.
 Share

Go to solution Solved by homeap5,

Use Macrium Reflect - is free and one of the best cloning software. Prepare rescue usb after installing Reflect and made image using bootable usb - this way you will be sure that your image is good because you'll image system that is not in use.

Hey all,

 

The story:

- Fresh windows 10 pro install with all updates done

- Installed all desired programs + tweaked settings

~80gb on 500gb SSD

(let's call this image Jim to make it easier to reference)

 

What I want to do:

Save this entire OS image with settings, additional programs ect...  as an image/clone in exact state to easily restore to or easy re-install/backup (just the ~80gb, not the free space on drive too).

 

What I'm not sure about:

Mixed information about using System Image Backup. From what I hear sounds like ideal solution but MS have deprecated SIB for win 10 v1703 or higher. Can anyone confirm??

 

Other bits of info:

1. I have an additional spare drive with windows bare bones install to image "Jim" (I was told you should never make system image off a drive that is running the OS you wish to clone/image)

2. The image/clone will always go into the same comp and not need to be changed (eg, hardware changes) but may be updated later and a new image made once again.

3. Ideally I was looking to make something like an ISO like copy of "Jim" and be able to install the image on any drive I want. I realise this might not be as simple as it sounds considering win 10 installs a few partitions on any drive as part of its standard requirements.

 

Basically, I'm looking for the most effective and easy way to do this that has some sort of redundancy should the image made be bad. What do you guys suggest??

 

Thank in advance LTT forum peeps ??

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Vash. said:

Hey all,

--SNIP--

What I want to do:

Save this entire OS image with settings, additional programs ect...  as an image/clone in exact state to easily restore to or easy re-install/backup (just the ~80gb, not the free space on drive too).

 

What I'm not sure about:

Mixed information about using System Image Backup. From what I hear sounds like ideal solution but MS have deprecated SIB for win 10 v1703 or higher. Can anyone confirm??

--SNIP--

Basically, I'm looking for the most effective and easy way to do this that has some sort of redundancy should the image made be bad. What do you guys suggest??

Thank in advance LTT forum peeps ??

Windows 7's System Image feature is still available via the classic Control Panel from Windows 10 version 1803 and can do what you want: create a system image of your boot drive that you can restore to any drive at a later date.

image.png.7ebba592114cca0ba6f0e8899b8714b2.png

Desktop: KRySTaLoGi-PC Build Log (i7-4790K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - Unlimited Calls & Texts + 12GB Data
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kirashi said:

Windows 7's System Image feature is still available via the classic Control Panel from Windows 10 version 1803 and can do what you want: create a system image of your boot drive that you can restore to any drive at a later date.

image.png.7ebba592114cca0ba6f0e8899b8714b2.png

Hmmm interesting... That's the SIB system I wasn't sure about. I know it's still present within Win10 but from the research I have done it's causing issues with generating/restoring the image. Have you used it before Kirashi??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Use Macrium Reflect - is free and one of the best cloning software. Prepare rescue usb after installing Reflect and made image using bootable usb - this way you will be sure that your image is good because you'll image system that is not in use.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Use Macrium Reflect - is free and one of the best cloning software. Prepare rescue usb after installing Reflect and made image using bootable usb - this way you will be sure that your image is good because you'll image system that is not in use.

Many thanks :) ?. Best solution actually and I keep hearing good things about Macrium.

 

For those who are after a guide. I found this video super helpful.. (set speed at x2 as the pace is somewhat slowish)

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Vash. said:

Hmmm interesting... That's the SIB system I wasn't sure about. I know it's still present within Win10 but from the research I have done it's causing issues with generating/restoring the image. Have you used it before Kirashi??

I have, and while it does work, I do recommend using a dedicated paid product such as Acronis TrueImage, or the free or paid version of Macrium Reflect as noted by this other user. It's not that paid products are better; in fact, I'd recommend using Clonezilla if it weren't for GPT formatted drives. Clonezilla can handle GPT drives, but its annoying to deal with compared to a decent 3rd party solution that "just works" without much hassle.

11 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Use Macrium Reflect - is free and one of the best cloning software. Prepare rescue usb after installing Reflect and made image using bootable usb - this way you will be sure that your image is good because you'll image system that is not in use.

 

Desktop: KRySTaLoGi-PC Build Log (i7-4790K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - Unlimited Calls & Texts + 12GB Data
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Vash. said:

Many thanks :) ?. Best solution actually and I keep hearing good things about Macrium.

 

For those who are after a guide. I found this video super helpful.. (set speed at x2 as the pace is somewhat slowish)

 

 

 

As I see, this guy clone system without booting from USB, so it uses VSS service. I don't trust this method (I have not so good experience with that). So using second computer for clone or use Macrium rescue USB is more reliable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/5/2018 at 2:23 PM, kirashi said:

I have, and while it does work, I do recommend using a dedicated paid product such as Acronis TrueImage, or the free or paid version of Macrium Reflect as noted by this other user. It's not that paid products are better; in fact, I'd recommend using Clonezilla if it weren't for GPT formatted drives. Clonezilla can handle GPT drives, but its annoying to deal with compared to a decent 3rd party solution that "just works" without much hassle.

 

Cheers for the info. in the end I purchased a copy of Macrium Reflect. Easy system, well known name, good reputation and the back up side of things looks like it will solve a problem i have been having :) 

Out of interest, do you use a file manager program other then explorer? Do you recommend any??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, homeap5 said:

As I see, this guy clone system without booting from USB, so it uses VSS service. I don't trust this method (I have not so good experience with that). So using second computer for clone or use Macrium rescue USB is more reliable.

I took your advice and got Macrium Reflect full version. Made the image via media rescue USB. 

 

Out of interest, do you use a file manager program other then explorer? Do you recommend any??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Vash. said:

I took your advice and got Macrium Reflect full version. Made the image via media rescue USB. 

 

Out of interest, do you use a file manager program other then explorer? Do you recommend any??

I'm using Directory Opus Pro - is the best, but expensive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/6/2018 at 5:51 PM, homeap5 said:

I'm using Directory Opus Pro - is the best, but expensive.

Cheers for that :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×