how old is your pc and are you looking to upgrade soon?

Ashley MLP Fangirl

how old is your pc and are you planning to upgrade it soon? 

my system is mixed in terms of age. it has X5650's in it which are cpu's from 2010; but a gtx 1050 which i bought about a year ago (can't remember when it was released)

i'm not looking to upgrade it. once folding month is over i'm probably gonna put my gtx 780Ti back in, but that's about it. 

i'm also going to install an amd rx 460 for use with a Windows VM, but that doesn't really count as an upgrade. i'm only doing that so i can play some games that will only run on Windows, as i use Linux as main OS. 

She/Her

5 years old. Will upgrade when the games I want to play can't run well on high (not ultra) settings. 

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

4 years old.

My new PC is just around 3 weeks old.

Will upgrade my 4 years old PC when I can't play anymore games in at least medium settings.

My new PC isn't primarily used for gaming, so I don't really have a plan to upgrade it.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

6 yrs old and yes i'm doing minor improvements as my budget allows

Core i7 3770

gtx 1070 Founders Edition

Still only rockin mechanical hdd's.

Built in mid 2016, specs are on my profile. Was considering a ray tracing card upgrade but ill probably wait since my 1070 is fine. 

With all the stagnation in the x86 CPU market, i want to wait for a CPU that supports DDR5 possibly, or at least has a newer microarchitecture than Skylake, which is what i have now. If im not mistaken, even Coffee Lake is basically Skylake microarchitecture with more cores on it.

Would like a GPU with GDDR6 or HBM and capable of real 4K gaming since ill probably finally get a new monitor with the next pc i build. Im still using an ancient 2011 era Samsung SA550 1080p. 

Though i have no desire to upgrade until i need to. I can run everything i need to on all ultra with supersampling and it gets nowhere near the 8GB of RAM on my GPU, my 32GB of DDR4 is still plenty and my 1TB SSD constantly amazes me(it was my first PC with an SSD).

Depends on how you look at it. I built its original incarnation a year and half ago. It has an i7 7700K and a GTX 1080. The ASRock Z270 Taichi and Phanteks Enthoo Evolv it originally had were pissing me off in various ways so I impulsively bought an Asus Strix X470-F motherboard on sale and was just going to do a Ryzen build for shits and giggles. Also grabbed a Fractal Design Define C TG to put it in.

I decided swapping boards on the existing system was a better idea, so I bought a used Asus Prime Z270-A off eBay. I was going to return the Define C but decided to use it with 3 new Noctura NF-A12x25 fans instead (the Enthoo had some weird resonance issues that even NF-A14s couldn't solve). I also swapped my 256GB Samsung 950 Pro for a 500GB 970 Evo. This was all about a week ago.

So, depending on how you look at it, it's either a year and half old, or a week old..... and yes, I do plan to upgrade soon. Can't return the Strix X470-F so if I get a decent deal on a Ryzen 7 2700X by Cyber Monday, I'm gonna put it to use. Otherwise, I'll just sell it.

When the notion strikes, I'll come up with some BS excuse to build a new system. I just enjoy building computers.

1.5 (?) years old.

Wanted to get a 2080Ti, but y'all advised against it.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

5 hours ago, JammyCreedog said:

6 yrs old and yes i'm doing minor improvements as my budget allows

Core i7 3770

gtx 1070 Founders Edition

Still only rockin mechanical hdd's.

might i say that you have spent your money weirdly... because now you have a system that's slow at loading basically anything,,,, 

4 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

1.5 (?) years old.

Wanted to get a 2080Ti, but y'all advised against it.

probably because of this:

She/Her

I'm still rocking an old phenom 1055T and an hd6970. Looking to upgrade to a used ryzen 1600 or 1700 and maybe a used 1080 ti.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

about 2 years old. 7700k and a 1080ti, both water cooled.

I really want a new CPU/Mobo. Wish I had waited for threadripper.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

My desktop is almost 4 years old (bought January 2015), with an i7-4790K, Z97 Extreme6, 32GB RAM, GTX 1060 3GB (bought Nov 2016 but missed Black Friday), Define R5 (bought end of 2017 iirc, was using a Thor V2), AX760, and a ton of HDDs that won't all fit in the system.

I'm planning to upgrade about when DDR5, PCI Express 5.0, and AMD's next socket (AM5?) comes out, or when my AX760 warranty expires, so probably around 2021 or early 2022 or so, in about 3 years.

My laptop was bought in December 2016.  It has a i7-6700K, GTX 970M 6GB, 250GB + 2x 1050GB SATA SSDs, 40GB RAM.  (Hoping Black Friday to upgrade RAM to 64GB and maybe add a 1 or 2 TB NVMe SSD.)

I don't plan on replacing the entire laptop until around 2025-2028 or so, or about when DDR6 or whatever is available.

Thereafter, my current thinking is skip a generation or few of DDR or PCIe when upgrading my desktop and laptop, while maybe leapfrogging so I'm not blowing a huge wad of dinero at once.  (For example, desktop: DDR3 ➡️ DDR5 ➡️ DDR8 ➡️ DDR12 ➡️ DDR15 ➡️ DDR18 ; laptop: DDR4 ➡️ DDR6 ➡️ DDR9 ➡️ DDR11 ➡️ DDR13 ➡️ DDR16, or whatever.)

Hey does anyone know how to type the ASCII arrows (like the one that on Windows is done with Alt+26 using the 10-key pad) on an Android Nougat phone in Chrome?

31 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

I'm still rocking an old phenom 1055T and an hd6970. Looking to upgrade to a used ryzen 1600 or 1700 and maybe a used 1080 ti.

How is this holding up? I needed cash and recently sold my gaming PC, but I have a spare with a 1100T Black Edition, an HD6950 and 8gb of ram. It's not been used in years.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

1 minute ago, Ross Siggers said:

How is this holding up? I needed cash and recently sold my PC, but I have a spare with a 1100T Black Edition, an HD6950 and 8gb of ram. It's not been used in years.

I can play warframe at medium-low settings reasonably well. but I haven't tried any other new games

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

Got my iMac 11 Months ago and am not looking to upgrade any time soon (Going to use this until it's obsolete! 

My 2010 MacBook Pro however I am looking to replace that as its an 8 year old machine, I've had it for a little while now but am really tempted by the new MacBook Air. 

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

5 years old,  Core i5 3337u, Nvidia gt 720M, 12GB DDR3, 500gb SSD (Asus x550cc)

The laptop was upgraded to an SSD around March 2017. Currently facing GPU issues with both Igpu and Dgpu, some apps won't launch if it was set to run on the Igpu(Movie maker, powerpoint - not optimal error) and some app( like Microsoft office 2013) crashes when its set to run on the Dgpu(Nvidia GT720M) 

No idea if I should change my laptop to a new one.

@Nicnac That's not that bad! Thing is, it's probably not going to be as good as the egpu setup I'm using atm...but at the same time, I don't wanna get rid of it because it's worth nothing, and I'm not going to throw out a good working PC :D 

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

2 minutes ago, Yongtjunkit said:

5 years old,  Core i5 3337u, Nvidia gt 720M, 12GB DDR3, 500gb SSD (Asus x550cc)

The laptop was upgraded to an SSD around March 2017. Currently facing GPU issues with both Igpu and Dgpu, some apps won't launch if it was set to run on the Igpu(Movie maker, powerpoint - not optimal error) and some app( like Microsoft office 2013) crashes when its set to run on the Dgpu(Nvidia GT720M) 

No idea if I should change my laptop to a new one.

that seems like it's a driver issue. try reinstalling the gpu drivers. 

1 minute ago, Ross Siggers said:

@Nicnac That's not that bad! Thing is, it's probably not going to be as good as the egpu setup I'm using atm...but at the same time, I don't wanna get rid of it because it's worth nothing, and I'm not going to throw out a good working PC :D 

in terms of multi-core that 1055T is a LOT faster than your lapotop's i5...

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-3320M-vs-AMD-Phenom-II-X6-1055T/m402vs2003

She/Her

1.5 years old but i upgrade it on occasion, whenever some good deal appears. And i even bought components that i never used as someone offered me more than what i paid for it, so i just resold it for a profit 

7 minutes ago, Ross Siggers said:

That's why I keep it as well ^^ I didn't really have time for gaming the last 3 years but might find some time next year so that's why I'm planning on getting a new rig. 

But the phenom is still such a great cpu and it was especially at its time. It also has a lot of sentimental value to me as it was my first real gaming pc and my second pc ever :) 

I'm gonna keep it around for some programming experiments and maybe a folding server in the future though it's not exactly energy efficient :P 

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

My computer is a bit of a mix. The CPU, MOBO, RAM, Case and PSU are all only about 11 months old. The storage (with the exception of my game drive) are almost 3 years old, game drive only 18 months. 

The only thing I think I really want to upgrade is my GPU. I've had my GTX 960 since Summer 2015 so it's over 3 years old now and while it still works well enough, it is starting to drop below 30FPS in a few too many games for my liking and is quite a bit below the recommended specs on a lot of new games (such as Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I had trouble running Rise of the Tomb Raider and I really want to play the next one but I think my GPU will probably be a major bottleneck.)

For quite a while I was looking at getting a GTX 1060 6GB but with the release of the 20 series I'm thinking I'll wait and see the performance of the GTX 2060 and then decide between it and maybe a used 1070/ti/1080.

Do we know when the 2060 is coming yet?

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

20 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

In terms of multi-core that 1055T is a LOT faster than your lapotop's i5...

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-3320M-vs-AMD-Phenom-II-X6-1055T/m402vs2003

I know I've compared the CPU passmark scores before :D  the i5 is about 70% of the performance of the 1100T. When I was at university that was my rendering machine, having 6 cores back then was great.

But it's about how I use my machine now; I surf forums, facebook, watch netflix, take my laptop to work, and only game occasionally. For the extra cpu performance in games, I don't think it's worth the extra noise, space, and lack of convenience I'd have from using the aging tower. Not to mention power consumption, that system drinks electricity whilst the laptop and egpu sips it. 

Not being able to afford a spanking new ultrabook or gaming laptop, having an egpu box on my desk works out best rn.

13 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

It also has a lot of sentimental value to me as it was my first real gaming pc and my second pc ever :) 

I'm gonna keep it around for some programming experiments and maybe a folding server in the future though it's not exactly energy efficient :P 

Kinda the same deal here. It was the first PC I built myself, it's seen loads of upgrades, I loved the Phenom II's. It started with a x2 550 Black Edition, the ones that had dormant cores you could unlock using the bios on certain mobos. So that went from dual to tri-core, massively overclocked. After that I went to a x4 945, which was pretty disappointing because the modified 550 basically matched it, then to a x6 1100T Black Edition, which is where I stopped because well, you can't go any higher on that architecture xD 

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

5 minutes ago, Ross Siggers said:

Not to mention power consumption, that system drinks electricity whilst the laptop and egpu sips it. 

you shouldn't complain. compared to my dual-cpu machine it'll be nothing. my machine idles at around 200 watts, and under load it can get to 400 ish. when i put my gtx 780Ti back in it can go over 500. 

She/Her

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

idles at around 200 watts

czf3p.jpg

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀