Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

XMP Profile1 and RAM Voltage in BIOS

.Ric.

Hey everyone!
I have an X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming motherboard, coupled with 2x8 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V RAM (F4-3200C16D-16GVKB) sticks (which aren't on motherboard's QVL), currently running at their base settings of 2133 MHz, 1.20V in the BIOS updated to version F3.

Initially with the F2 BIOS the board came with, loading up XMP Profile1 (there's no Profile2 option) and saving the changes would not even get Windows to boot, displaying a BSOD with CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED as soon as it started (indication of RAM failing its job). Reverting to base RAM settings would get it to launch normally.

Updating the BIOS to F3, loading up Profile1 would now get Windows to boot, but when put under some pressure... whatever program I'm using crashes. Again reverting to base settings would fix the issue. This is where I wondered if there was something I'm missing.

In the motherboard's BIOS I have Advanced Memory Settings in which I can load XMP, change timings and so on, and Advanced Voltage Settings.

Enabling Profile1 in Advanced Memory Settings sets memory multiplier to reach 3200 MHz, CAS Latency, tRCDRD, tRCDWR, tRP, tRAS to 16-18-18-18-38, Profile DDR Voltage to 1.35V. By the looks of the specs in the RAM webpage for 3200, I would say it's reading it correctly. (at stock, they are 2133 MHz, 15-15-15-15-36, 1.20V; other timings are changed as well, but those are the standard ones).

However in Advanced Voltage Settings I do have another entry called DRAM Voltage (CH A/B) still set to 1.20V., even if Profile1 gets loaded.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what's the difference between the two; do I need I need to change DRAM Voltage (CH A/B) in Voltage Settings as well? And what's the difference between the two?

No OC done on the CPU or GPU, they're running as they were installed, full specs in signature if needed.

Thanks in advance!

5 hours ago, .Ric. said:

Hey everyone!
I have an X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming motherboard, coupled with 2x8 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V RAM (F4-3200C16D-16GVKB) sticks (which aren't on motherboard's QVL), currently running at their base settings of 2133 MHz, 1.20V in the BIOS updated to version F3.

Initially with the F2 BIOS the board came with, loading up XMP Profile1 (there's no Profile2 option) and saving the changes would not even get Windows to boot, displaying a BSOD with CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED as soon as it started (indication of RAM failing its job). Reverting to base RAM settings would get it to launch normally.

Updating the BIOS to F3, loading up Profile1 would now get Windows to boot, but when put under some pressure... whatever program I'm using crashes. Again reverting to base settings would fix the issue. This is where I wondered if there was something I'm missing.

In the motherboard's BIOS I have Advanced Memory Settings in which I can load XMP, change timings and so on, and Advanced Voltage Settings.

Enabling Profile1 in Advanced Memory Settings sets memory multiplier to reach 3200 MHz, CAS Latency, tRCDRD, tRCDWR, tRP, tRAS to 16-18-18-18-38, Profile DDR Voltage to 1.35V. By the looks of the specs in the RAM webpage for 3200, I would say it's reading it correctly. (at stock, they are 2133 MHz, 15-15-15-15-36, 1.20V; other timings are changed as well, but those are the standard ones).

However in Advanced Voltage Settings I do have another entry called DRAM Voltage (CH A/B) still set to 1.20V., even if Profile1 gets loaded.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what's the difference between the two; do I need I need to change DRAM Voltage (CH A/B) in Voltage Settings as well? And what's the difference between the two?

No OC done on the CPU or GPU, they're running as they were installed, full specs in signature if needed.

Thanks in advance!

I don't remember if Gigabyte motherboards sets the DRAM voltage as well when XMP is enabled.

Nonetheless, it does not hurt to manually set the voltage to 1.35V there anyways.

Give it a try; if it does not work, then we can do some further troubleshooting.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz (still tweaking) -- i7-6800K
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master -- ASUS X99 Deluxe
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT Special Edition -- 2x Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 (16GB TridentZ RGB + 16GB Red/Black TridentZ)
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO + 1TB Intel 660p NVMe
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass Edition
  • Ekwb Custom loop
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Alright, gave it more than a try.

I loaded XMP profile, then went to Voltage Settings and set DRAM Voltage to 1.35V, DRAM Termination to 0.675V (half of it), VCore SOC(DVID) Voltage offset to +0.252V

Interestingly enough, prior to applying voltage changes to SOC the BIOS showed it being running at 0.850V, reason why I set that +0.252V to reach the recommended 1.1V.

However back in Windows with HWInfo64, and then confirmed in the BIOS, it ended up running at 1.2V according to the Motherboard's sensor. There's a second sensor under the CPU tab in Windows called SOC Voltage (SV12 TFN) that always showed 0.925V, regardless of the offsets I applied. From now on I'll refer the SOC Voltage being the one displayed by the Motherboard. All the runs I did had the same DRAM and Termination voltages. If anyone has any idea of why it'd gain a 0.1V more than intended with +0,252V from 0.850V, let me know.

Results: 3200 MHz 1.2V SOC (+0.252V) is a big nope. It completed a single Cinebench R15 run, and at the second it gave BSOD, with error related to RAM corruption. Memory module supplier is Hynix, so rip there /shrug. I settled for 2933 MHz.

Should be noted that all Cinebench runs I did with 3200, 2933 and 2133 all scored the same within the margin of error, probably the CPU is bottlenecking it since I'm running it at stock speed and voltage.

2133 MHz RAM, with base timings and voltages had the temperature cap at 76°C after several back-to-back Cinebench runs (did it for all the results below as well), idling at 37°C.

Stepping down to 2933 MHz, 1.2V SOC (+0.252V), Cinebench runs later no crash whatsoever, 82°C max reached.

Lowering SOC...

2933 MHz, 1.116V SOC, 81°C max, 45°C idle.

2933 MHz, 1.044V SOC, 80°C max, 43°C idle.

so far no system crash at any 2933 MHz. Shall I keep lowering SOC offset?