How can I increase my GPU's aiflow?

Kywim

Hello!

I noticed that in my new case (Fractal Design Define R6), my GPU runs hotter by 3 to 5°c. (It runs at 77/78°c instead of 73°c). (It's a EVGA 1080Ti FTW3)

I'd like to improve my airflow to lower my temperatures. This is my current airflow (pardon my paint skills. Fans are in orange, gpu in blue).

Tomorrow I'll try to remove every unused HDD cages and put my SSD & HDD at the top so they aren't in the way of the airflow. Currently, my HDD/SSD sit in the way of the 1st intake

fan and I have unused HDD cages everywhere in the case.

If that doesn't help, I'll have to change my fan configuration. I'd like to avoid buying new fans if possible, but I can buy some if needed. Here are my 2 ideas:

• Idea #1: Put the 2nd intake fan lower, but leave the 1st where it is. My fans will be split and not contiguous anymore. Is this a problem?
  • Idea #2: Lower both fans, but I think that this might choke my CPU fan?

What would you do in my situation? I can always buy another 240mm fan and put it at the bottom, but I fear that with 3 intake and 1 exhaust I might have a problem (too much positive pressure),

but I think that this problem can be solved by lowering the speed of the 3 intake fans (by maybe 20-25%, which can be done using Fractal's fan hub).

Thank you for your help!

before buying merchandise, try some techniques to decipher an issue.

1. move all fans to the front: better - worse - same
  2. remove side panel: better - worse - same reinstall
  3. remove front panel: better - worse - same reinstall

if removing the panels drops the temps a good bit (8-12°) then you need more air into the case. utilize more intake air from the floor (filtered of course).

Idd lower em both. In general a bottom to top airflow makes the most sense. Also you could buy another 140mm fan to put in the bottom of the case to directly blow at the GPU. But put the new fan in the (on the pic) right position. Otherwise it could "block" airflow from the lowered front intakes.

Also in general 77c is not to bad in the first place ;) 

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

I personally wouldn't do anything about the "issue", because 77c is still a good temp for 1080ti. (mine runs at 84c constantly)

But try moving the top front intake to the bottom, and see if that helps.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

31 minutes ago, airdeano said:

before buying merchandise, try some techniques to decipher an issue.

1. move all fans to the front: better - worse - same
  2. remove side panel: better - worse - same reinstall
  3. remove front panel: better - worse - same reinstall

if removing the panels drops the temps a good bit (8-12°) then you need more air into the case. utilize more intake air from the floor (filtered of course).

Like I said, removing the side panel dropped my temps by 4/5°c, which is why I'm pretty sure it's an airflow issue.

29 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Idd lower em both. In general a bottom to top airflow makes the most sense. Also you could buy another 140mm fan to put in the bottom of the case to directly blow at the GPU. But put the new fan in the (on the pic) right position. Otherwise it could "block" airflow from the lowered front intakes.

Also in general 77c is not to bad in the first place ;) 

78°c is a bit high to my liking, but I know it's not bad. I'll try to change my fan configuration tomorrow and do some testing. If it doesn't improve, I'll just live with it.

30 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

I personally wouldn't do anything about the "issue", because 77c is still a good temp for 1080ti. (mine runs at 84c constantly)

But try moving the top front intake to the bottom, and see if that helps.

Won't that choke my CPU Cooler's airflow? (Might seem like a dumb question, but with that change my CPU cooler won't have an intake fan facing it directly)

1 minute ago, Kywim said:

Won't that choke my CPU Cooler's airflow? (Might seem like a dumb question, but with that change my CPU cooler won't have an intake fan facing it directly)

nah, it shouldn't.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

5 hours ago, Kywim said:

Like I said, removing the side panel dropped my temps by 4/5°c, which is why I'm pretty sure it's an airflow issue.

78°c is a bit high to my liking, but I know it's not bad. I'll try to change my fan configuration tomorrow and do some testing. If it doesn't improve, I'll just live with it.

Please report your findings ;)

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

8 hours ago, Kywim said:

No, lowering the fan would just get the air to the graphics card first which is generally more sensitive to high temps. The air will be warmer by the time it gets to the cpu cooler but it should still be sufficient. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

22 hours ago, Kywim said:

try to remove every unused HDD cages and put my SSD & HDD at the top so they aren't in the way of the airflow. Currently, my HDD/SSD sit in the way of the 1st intake fan and I have unused HDD cages everywhere in the case.

I did this ? inside my Phanteks Evolv ITX case.. I had plan to do this, but before I actually remove the bottom HDD cage completely, I let it stayed inplace and tested to compare the result between before and after removal. But I also managed to arrange the PSU cables as best as I can do to not lay in the space where the HDD cage was to provide real clear air flow path to feed my GPU. The result is good for me, it's 3-4C lower temps for GPU without HDD cage than with it being installed.

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

I think the problem is the graphics card is recycling its air and just enough is escaping to keep it from cooking itself. Even if you direct more airflow to the video card, it's just going to circulate around that area of the case. You need to find something that can help move the air out of there.

If it helps, here's a diagram:

image.png.bcae648b1a5450fe355e0c34734ef4a8.png

Remove PSU shroud. That thing has been identified by case testers (like Gamers Nexus) to cause higher GPU temps than in cases where you don't have it. That being said, you talk about having lower temps previously, what does that mean? Another case or another GPU?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Remove PSU shroud. That thing has been identified by case testers (like Gamers Nexus) to cause higher GPU temps than in cases where you don't have it. That being said, you talk about having lower temps previously, what does that mean? Another case or another GPU?

It's not removable in this case afaik.

I had lower temps in my previous case. My build is all new except the GPU/PSU which I reused from my dead computer.

2 minutes ago, Kywim said:

It's not removable in this case afaik.

I had lower temps in my previous case. My build is all new except the GPU/PSU which I reused from my dead computer.

And which case was that? Did it have PSU shroud?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

45 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

The result in my case is slightly different might be because in Evolv ITX the GPU is really close to PSU shroud and has many holes on the shroud roof for the GPU to suck the air only from inside of it, and also there's no deviated flow direction by clearing inside the shroud from any obstructions to allow clear direct flow until below of the GPU to be taken, it's like a dedicated wind tunnel for the GPU, so most of the fresh air taken by the lower intake fan is occupied by the GPU alone. Also my PSU is a compact ATX size.

Yet I must agree with the fact that most of cases with PSU shroud trapped the air and limit the fresh air volume for the GPU, only couple of hole for cable routing can escape the air in it.

That's only my assumption..

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

4 hours ago, Kywim said:

Corsair 760T, no PSU shroud.

Thats probably where that 3-5C difference comes then.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv