why apple products cost more with extra storage

sadik
20 minutes ago, Commodus said:

This doesn't account for the size, complexity and power consumption changes dictated by mobile.

The only limiting factor in mobile hardware design is power consumption. Otherwise hardware manufacturers will throw anything they can at it to eke out more performance. And increasing density via shrinking transistor sizes only helps to allow higher performance features into a lower power envelope.

While I'm sure clever engineering helped shape some of this, but we're now at a point where you can fit a single precision TFLOP computer in something that is considered "potato" hardware for its purpose when 20 years ago, this would've been the creme de la crop of the computer world. And I would argue practically most of this is thanks to shrinking transistor sizes.

The reason is pretty simple. Slumping worldwide sales means they need to increase the ASP and get more people to buy into services like iCloud Drive and Apple Music. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 hours ago, Commodus said:

I know they don't fill the whole enclosure, but they still use multiple lower-density chips, and often have a controller on top of that to interface with the PC.  As for speed... well, let's wait until someone benchmarks the speed of a 1TB iPad Pro before making pronouncements, shall we?  Apple has historically had some of the fastest flash storage in mobile devices, and even some of the controlled demos at the event suggested it was seriously fast (such as working on a 3GB Photoshop file on the floor demos).

It's certainly true that Apple is doing this to hike prices and get some cushy profit margins.  I'm mainly dismantling the false claim that a cheapie 1TB SATA SSD is somehow comparable to what could well be a one-chip mobile solution.  Miniaturization costs money, especially if that's backed up by performance.

As for the cellular bit?  I'm sure it doesn't cost Apple $150 more, but remember that there are also issues like cellular patent licenses in addition to the requisite hardware changes.

What node is the NAND flash in that 1TB SATA/M.2 SSDon? What node is the iPads? 

Oh wait you just admittedthat Apple is hiking prices for a cushy profit margin? Yeah i know the difference between SATA SSDs and eMMC, UFS, and NVMe(which is what the iPhone was using at one point). I dont keep up with every detail of Apples junk but i do know the underlying tech they use.

I was saying that NAND flash is generally cheap right now.

1 hour ago, Amazonsucks said:

What node is the NAND flash in that 1TB SATA/M.2 SSDon? What node is the iPads? 

Oh wait you just admittedthat Apple is hiking prices for a cushy profit margin? Yeah i know the difference between SATA SSDs and eMMC, UFS, and NVMe(which is what the iPhone was using at one point). I dont keep up with every detail of Apples junk but i do know the underlying tech they use.

I was saying that NAND flash is generally cheap right now.

We'll have to see a teardown to know which exact process node it's on, but to my knowledge (and based on Apple's rhetoric) it's the first mobile tablet with 1TB baked in.  That would indicate it's on a cutting-edge node due to the density.

NAND flash is cheap... at lower capacities.  Going to 512GB and beyond is still expensive (just ask Note 9 buyers).  Like with other forms of storage, the prices tend to be steep for the largest storage due to the newness of the technology and its relative scarcity.

9 minutes ago, Commodus said:

We'll have to see a teardown to know which exact process node it's on, but to my knowledge (and based on Apple's rhetoric) it's the first mobile tablet with 1TB baked in.  That would indicate it's on a cutting-edge node due to the density.

NAND flash is cheap... at lower capacities.  Going to 512GB and beyond is still expensive (just ask Note 9 buyers).  Like with other forms of storage, the prices tend to be steep for the largest storage due to the newness of the technology and its relative scarcity.

Techinsights usually does teardowns of them. I couldnt find one for the newest ipad but i did find this article while looking.

http://semiengineering.com/3d-nand-flash-wars-begin/

The number of people surprised that Apple is out there to make a profit is astonishing. 

Off topic question....

Tablets are supposed to be primarily network devices right? Why in the hell would you need 1 TB in a portable device? I mean what are you storing on there? It doesn't have the horsepower to do workloads that require large amounts of space like 4k video editing....

• 3 weeks later...

the storage is slotted one in way which i cost far more than normal, as instead of using 1 1 terabyte chip they use like 8 128 gigabyte chips increasing the price and it also has 2 additional ram ( for storage managing only)

On 11/3/2018 at 4:13 PM, sadik said:

how does the price increase with extra storage for apple products?

Scotty actually explained this in one of his videos:

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

Apple product are always more expensive but iOS cost is part of that. I am happy to pay extra for iOS over android. 

I do have the iCloud plan instead of buying extra storage and it works. It is well worth paying for, I’ve got 4 people to sign up since they saw how it helped my devices.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

On 11/3/2018 at 2:13 AM, sadik said:

so, how does the price increase with extra storage for apple products?

Android phones do this too. 

Additionally, the 1 terabyte model only costs twice as much as a 64gb model. That's 15 times the memory for twice the cost...

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

On 11/27/2018 at 4:27 AM, straight_stewie said:

Android phones do this too. 

Additionally, the 1 terabyte model only costs twice as much as a 64gb model. That's 15 times the memory for twice the cost...

That's a really misleading way to look at it.  If you removed the memory entirely the remaining device would obviously still cost quite a bit since there's a screen, SoC, etc. and therefore, any model with even a bit of storage has infinitely more storage for only 0.0001% more cost.  You have to take that "rest of the product" cost out of it and just look at the memory.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.