Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Destiny 2 + MSI Afterburner

Paul Rudd

Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,

My solution was 2 monitors. A cheap 1600x900 from eBay will do and it doesn't affect performance at all. Also gives you a use for a DVI port.

Just took 5 hours to install this game for free today. Please tell me it isn't true...

How on earth am I supposed to monitor what my PC is doing while I am gaming?

I know I can leave MSI AB running while I'm gaming and then Alt+Tab to it to see what everything is doing but why block this from being displayed on my screen while I play the game? This could be a deal breaker for me. Right now it's forcing me to play the game at a locked 72 fps so I know my CPU/GPU isn't getting hot.

I rarely play games without monitoring what my PC is doing.

My solution was 2 monitors. A cheap 1600x900 from eBay will do and it doesn't affect performance at all. Also gives you a use for a DVI port.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

My solution was 2 monitors.

Oh wow, so there's no way to somehow force Destiny 2 to show MSI AB on screen while gaming?

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

A cheap 1600x900 from eBay will do and it doesn't affect performance at all.

Funny you mention a 900p monitor because in all of my life, the last 2 days I actually browsed eBay for cheap 900p monitors. Seems they go for $30-$60. But I was looking for one to give as a gift to some peeps related to me that use an ancient 15" 720p monitor. I actually own an awesome 24" IPS 1080p Dell monitor but I never used it as a 2nd monitor because I don't know all the pros and cons of using a dual monitor setup. What are the down sides of using dual monitors? I think of things like more watts being pulled from both my PSU and the wall(higher light bill).

11 minutes ago, A Random Dude said:

What are the down sides of using dual monitors? I think of things like more watts being pulled from both my PSU and the wall(higher light bill).

No draw is from the PSU, there's a plug for your monitor. The power consumption is minimal, especially compared to a whole gaming PC.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

No draw is from the PSU, there's a plug for your monitor. The power consumption is minimal, especially compared to a whole gaming PC.

Well that's a gigantic relief. Can you think of any downsides to dual monitoring at all? Cause if you can't, looks like I'm gonna be dual monitoring starting tomorrow. I've been missing my little Dell IPS. For starters, how would I hook it up? I want to say my Dell 1440p is hooked directly into my GPU.

13 minutes ago, A Random Dude said:

Well that's a gigantic relief. Can you think of any downsides to dual monitoring at all? Cause if you can't, looks like I'm gonna be dual monitoring starting tomorrow. I've been missing my little Dell IPS. For starters, how would I hook it up? I want to say my Dell 1440p is hooked directly into my GPU.

I've been using dual for a long time (sometimes even triple). The only drawback is less desk space. All you do is hook the monitor up to your GPU like your current monitor, and then open the display settings in windows to adjust positioning. same size/resolution are ideal, but I don't use that config and I manage.

Primary PC:

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

15 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

All you do is hook the monitor up to your GPU like your current monitor

But wouldn't that be using more GPU power? Like say if I'm playing a highly graphic demanding game on one monitor, wouldn't that mean I'd lose performance if my other monitor is say, watching a movie on YouTube?

3 minutes ago, A Random Dude said:

But wouldn't that be using more GPU power? Like say if I'm playing a highly graphic demanding game on one monitor, wouldn't that mean I'd lose performance if my other monitor is say, watching a movie on YouTube?

nope, it has extremely little effect on any GPU worth its salt. You only see multi display performance deficits on ancient APUs, like AM1 semprons.

Primary PC:

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

11 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

nope, it has extremely little effect on any GPU worth its salt. You only see multi display performance deficits on ancient APUs, like AM1 semprons.

Okay so, right now on just one monitor, I am watching a 1440p game play video on YouTube. In the processes tab of my task manager, it shows that my CPU usage is at 84% and my GPU usage is at 10%. How on earth would I play a game that uses 90-100% of my CPU usage and 90-100% of my GPU usage on another monitor hooked up to this same GPU running a 1440p game play video on YouTube? Wouldn't that be like 184% CPU usage and 110% GPU usage?

1 minute ago, A Random Dude said:

Okay so, right now on just one monitor, I am watching a 1440p game play video on YouTube. In the processes tab of my task manager, it shows that my CPU usage is at 84% and my GPU usage is at 10%. How on earth would I play a game that uses 90-100% of my CPU usage and 90-100% of my GPU usage on another monitor hooked up to this same GPU running a 1440p game play video on YouTube?

What processes are taking up that CPU usage? Another monitor doesn't affect that, since no addicional processes are being executed to output to another monitor.

Primary PC:

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

What processes are taking up that CPU usage?

Just the 1440p YouTube video. Seems like the GPU might lose 10-15% performance and I'd need an i7.

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Another monitor doesn't affect that, since no addicional processes are being executed to output to another monitor.

Not sure what you mean here.

Just now, A Random Dude said:

Just the 1440p YouTube video. Seems like the GPU might lose 10-15% performance and I'd need an i7.

What?

My brother uses an i5 7400 and GTX 970 and has a dual monitor setup, so I'm certain your rig can handle it given your specs.

Just now, A Random Dude said:

Not sure what you mean here.

What I mean is that there's no way dual monitor affects CPU.

Primary PC:

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

What I mean is that there's no way dual monitor affects CPU.

Well that's good. That explains the CPU side of things. Should be fine there. However, I still think it would affect GPU performance to some degree since both monitors will be hooked into the same GPU. You say it's extremely little effect though. As in using that word salt.

Is it possible that the 10% usage I saw that 1440p game play video was using is around the amount of performance I would lose had I played it while playing GTA 5 at the same time? Or will that 10% be turned into the size of say 1-3% somehow? A negligible amount of performance?

3 minutes ago, A Random Dude said:

Well that's good. That explains the CPU side of things. Should be fine there. However, I still think it would affect GPU performance to some degree since both monitors will be hooked into the same GPU. You say it's extremely little effect though. As in using that word salt.

Is it possible that the 10% usage I saw that 1440p game play video was using is around the amount of performance I would lose had I played it while playing GTA 5 at the same time? Or will that 10% be turned into the size of say 1-3% somehow? A negligible amount of performance?

Hard to give an exact percentage, but if I'm being honest, it feels like 0% when I do it so I say experimentation is the key to finding out if it works for you

Primary PC:

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

37 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Hard to give an exact percentage, but if I'm being honest, it feels like 0% when I do it

Awesome, glad to hear this.

38 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

so I say experimentation is the key to finding out if it works for you

My thoughts exactly. I'm convinced to set this up right now. I just hope my GPU has the port I need because I remember having to use a splitter on my other monitor just to be able to plug it into my PC(not my GPU).

2 hours ago, fasauceome said:

-Snip-

I was able to hookup two monitors. Had to use a DVI-D to hook up the other one. Just as I suspected, something is causing CPU usage to hit around 95% if I'm playing a movie on each monitor. It would have to be the same issue while gaming on one and playing a video on the other. Why is this happening?

EDIT: I think what was causing the 95% was because I played a 1440p YouTube video on the 1080p monitor. When I play a 1080p video on the 1080p monitor by itself(from my PC, NOT YouTube), it only uses 0.5-2.0 CPU%. When I play a 1080p video on both monitors from my PC, NOT YouTube, CPU usage is around 10-15% max. So apparently, YouTube videos hog CPU usage. The higher the resolution, the more CPU usage they use. That's very good to know when using dual monitors, especially while gaming.

Edited by A Random Dude
Added a useful edit at the bottom.

No way to bypass this stupid implementation, if you have android phone you can setup MSI Afterburner server and connect with MSI AB app for real time monitoring. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |