Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Running out of hard drive space on Windows 10 on my MacBook...

dave4shmups

So I have Windows 10 setup and running on my MacBook Pro, and I checked the drive space-for some reason, I only have 25.7GB free out of the 75.1GB partition. I don't have anything installed on the Windows 10 side, except for a free version of Visual Studio, and Microsoft Office 365.  That's it.  I didn't even install a web browser; I'm just using the Microsoft Edge browser.  So, how can I free up more disk space?  I've already done Disk Cleanup today, and there's only one hard drive (a 256 GB SSD) in this MacBook.

I'm pretty sure Visual Studio is huge, like 30GB. Then Windows 10 uses about 20GB so that's your total of about 50GB which makes sense. There's not really a way that you can make these take up less space besides removing them. I would recommend expanding the partition.

My main computer:

i7 6700k || GTX 1070 || Asus Z170 RGB || C.M. Hyper 212 EVO || 16GB RAM || 256GB NVMe SSD || 500GB SATA SSD || 12TB total HDD || Define R5 Blackout || 850W PSU

More Details Below :) 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                             GPU:  EVGA GTX 1070 FTW                                  |  Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
CPU Cooler: C.M. Hyper 212 EVO             RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury 4x4 DDR4 2400MHz         SSD:  Intel 256GB NVMe SSD & Plextor 500GB SATA SSD

Hard Drive:  WD 2TB Black, 2TB WD Blue, 8TB WD Red     Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition   PSU:  Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Additional Computer Parts: NZXT Hue for LEDs

Peripherals: Dell U2414H (x2) || Corsair Sabre RGB || Corsair K95 Platinum || Sennheiser 558's || Modmic

Pictures of setup:

3 hours ago, njmyers3 said:

I'm pretty sure Visual Studio is huge, like 30GB. Then Windows 10 uses about 20GB so that's your total of about 50GB which makes sense. There's not really a way that you can make these take up less space besides removing them. I would recommend expanding the partition. 

I didn't know that about Visual Studio.  How can I expand the partition?  I don't know how much space Mac OS needs; I'm running Mac Os Mojave.

32 minutes ago, dave4shmups said:

I didn't know that about Visual Studio.  How can I expand the partition?  I don't know how much space Mac OS needs; I'm running Mac Os Mojave.

I'm not actually sure of the specifics but if you open the disk utility you can see all your partitions and probably right click to expand one. You might not be able to expand it depending on your partition scheme or locations. If this is the case you can add another partition for storage on Windows.

If you expand the physical partition from MacOS, you'll probably need to update it in Windows "Disk Management". In Windows it's easy. Right click the partition on the disk and click "extend volume".

Now that I wrote that, I realized that you can probably expand the partition right inside Windows to begin with, so I'd try that first.

Make sure you have a backup of anything important in case something goes wrong. Hope this helps.

My main computer:

i7 6700k || GTX 1070 || Asus Z170 RGB || C.M. Hyper 212 EVO || 16GB RAM || 256GB NVMe SSD || 500GB SATA SSD || 12TB total HDD || Define R5 Blackout || 850W PSU

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                             GPU:  EVGA GTX 1070 FTW                                  |  Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
CPU Cooler: C.M. Hyper 212 EVO             RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury 4x4 DDR4 2400MHz         SSD:  Intel 256GB NVMe SSD & Plextor 500GB SATA SSD

Hard Drive:  WD 2TB Black, 2TB WD Blue, 8TB WD Red     Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition   PSU:  Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Peripherals: Dell U2414H (x2) || Corsair Sabre RGB || Corsair K95 Platinum || Sennheiser 558's || Modmic

Pictures of setup:

16 hours ago, njmyers3 said:

I'm not actually sure of the specifics but if you open the disk utility you can see all your partitions and probably right click to expand one. You might not be able to expand it depending on your partition scheme or locations. If this is the case you can add another partition for storage on Windows.

If you expand the physical partition from MacOS, you'll probably need to update it in Windows "Disk Management". In Windows it's easy. Right click the partition on the disk and click "extend volume".

Now that I wrote that, I realized that you can probably expand the partition right inside Windows to begin with, so I'd try that first.

Make sure you have a backup of anything important in case something goes wrong. Hope this helps.

There wasn't anything important on the Windows 10 partition, so I deleted it on the Mac OS side. Before I re-install Windows 10, how much space does Mac OS need??

17 hours ago, dave4shmups said:

There wasn't anything important on the Windows 10 partition, so I deleted it on the Mac OS side. Before I re-install Windows 10, how much space does Mac OS need??

The minimum for MacOS is 16GB, but that's not going to be very useful. You need to decide how much space you want on each OS since 250GB isn't much to begin with. You seem to care mostly about the Windows side, so I'd give Windows 150GB.

My main computer:

Spoiler

Pictures of setup:

23 hours ago, njmyers3 said:

The minimum for MacOS is 16GB, but that's not going to be very useful. You need to decide how much space you want on each OS since 250GB isn't much to begin with. You seem to care mostly about the Windows side, so I'd give Windows 150GB.

OK, thanks!  I did a Google search last night, and the results said to give MacOS at least 55gb of space, so I'll probably give it about 80.  The hard drive is 256gb, so that'll leave me plenty for Windows, and applications like Visual Studio.  I do have Visual Studio installed on the MacOS side, but I don't think it's as full-featured as the Windows 10 version is.