Recommendation for mechanical keyboard switches

DDebbil
Go to solution Solved by Dissitesuxba11s,
49 minutes ago, DDebbil said:

except the clear which apparently isn't on anything

Where are you buying your keyboards that there are no MX Clears? You can also try MX Greens or Blues since they have an actuation force of 55g and 50g, respectively. Browns do have a bump, but it is during the up-stroke of the switch, so it would not prevent you from accidental actuation; blue switches might help you in this regard.

I've been dabbling in mechanical keyboards for the first time, but am not enjoying the experience so far. First I tried a board with Cherry MX Speed (silver) switches, which I found was far too sensitive, such that I was accidentally activating keys due to having quite big/heavy hands. I read that the reds were like silvers but with longer activation length, so changed to a Cherry MX Red keyboard, but I'm STILL accidentally activating some keys. I'm also a bit iffy about keys that seem to travel so far but the bottom 3/4 of the travel is apparently just for show as the key has already activated. It reminds me of the clutch in my car.

Can anyone recommend better keyboard switches? I'm thinking maybe browns, as I understand these have a little bump that might stop be accidentally activating them.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

They all seem to be around 45g actuation force (except the clear which apparently isn't on anything) - so does that mean I'm going to be accidentally actuating them all?

I'm personally a fan of Browns since I find I can't type at all on Reds and Blues are a bit too heavy for gaming.  It's all about what feels good to you though, normally a good computer store (i.e. Memory Express) will have several keyboards connected to various systems so you can try some different switches that way.

49 minutes ago, DDebbil said:

except the clear which apparently isn't on anything

Where are you buying your keyboards that there are no MX Clears? You can also try MX Greens or Blues since they have an actuation force of 55g and 50g, respectively. Browns do have a bump, but it is during the up-stroke of the switch, so it would not prevent you from accidental actuation; blue switches might help you in this regard.