Is it a good idea to sell your whole platform as one?

I'm going to be upgrading my platform soon and I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to sell my CPU, motherboard and ram as one unit so someone could save on shipping.

Would it be wiser for me to sell the parts individually if I want the most back for them or do you guys think selling the whole platform at once would be attractive due to the savings on shipping and all that?

Just looking for some thoughts on this.

It's a Asus maximum hero VII, a 4790k and 16gb of corsair vengeance 2400mhz DDR3 ram.

4 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

I'm going to be upgrading my platform soon and I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to sell my CPU, motherboard and ram as one unit so someone could save on shipping.

Would it be wiser for me to sell the parts individually if I want the most back for them or do you guys think selling the whole platform at once would be attractive due to the savings on shipping and all that?

It's a Asus maximum hero VII, a 4790k and 16gb of corsair vengeance 2400mhz DDR3 ram.

Honestly if you looking to make the most out of it then build it into a Steffen as well it as a working pc.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I would rather sell them as a whole, because it is a well-balanced build. I only sell things separately when I doubt if anyone would buy all at once.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

The benefit of selling whole platform is instant transaction for all components, when someone decides to buy it. With separate components, graphic cards usually go the quickest, then RAM because people can just stick it in their existing system where CPU and motherboard are very dependent things.

Try selling it whole first and then sell by component if there is no interest in it. But be aware you may end up left with something that you won't be able to sell.

25 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Selling it as a whole vs parts have their benefits and drawbacks. As a whole, just need one transaction and done. The downside is that chances are people are only looking for one or two key parts and aren't interested in much of what someones selling usually. Parting out, you can usually make a bit more money. Downside is that if you have a part people aren't really interested in, it'll sit around for awhile. 

19 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Selling it as a whole vs parts have their benefits and drawbacks. As a whole, just need one transaction and done. The downside is that chances are people are only looking for one or two key parts and aren't interested in much of what someones selling usually. Parting out, you can usually make a bit more money. Downside is that if you have a part people aren't really interested in, it'll sit around for awhile. 

I'm patient and in no hurry to get my money back so it sounds like selling them individually is best.

Thanks guys!

39 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Honestly if you looking to make the most out of it then build it into a Steffen as well it as a working pc.

I live in the middle of nowhere on an island so i'd have to sell the whole system online if I did that.

I do still have the box for the case..

but the original system is a little mismatched having a 1080 in it and also has a lot of money gone into the aesthetics and stuff that people won't likely pay extra for so I don't know about that..

Unless I find a friend who wants a whole system, I probably won't sell it that way.

Plus, I don't exactly want to do my upgrade to a 2080ti until the prices come down a bit in a year or so too so if I did that I'd just end up spending way more than I should knowing me :P

It's better for you if someone buys it all at once - but personally I wouldn't do that for something that isn't an ultra cheap prebuilt.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

32 minutes ago, Sauron said:

It's better for you if someone buys it all at once - but personally I wouldn't do that for something that isn't an ultra cheap prebuilt.

That's a good point. Most people looking for used pre-builts are usually trying to scrapyard wars something aren't they?

13 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

That's a good point. Most people looking for used pre-builts are usually trying to scrapyard wars something aren't they?

Depends, I've bought a couple of dirt cheap prebuilts to use as media centers in the past. In general there are a lot of use cases for old sff prebuilts where speed isn't a requirement. I think of them like raspberry pis with (usually) better I/O and less dodgy boot drives.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

18 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

For the most part, yes.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

people often pay a premium for older motherboards when theirs dies. 

The most expensive motherboards I've ever bought were used. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch