PortSmash - New CPU Vulnerability affects Intel, possibly AMD

rcmaehl

Source:

ZdNet

TL;DR:

A new vulnerability in Hyperthreaded CPUs allows to access data it shouldn't. 

Quotes/Excerpts:

A new vulnerability that can allow attackers to leak encrypted data from the CPU's internal processes...PortSmash...discovered by a team of five academics. Researchers say PortSmash impacts all CPUs that use a Simultaneous Multithreading (SMT) architecture, a technology that allows multiple computing threads to be executed simultaneously on a CPU core. In lay terms, the attack works by running a malicious process next to legitimate ones using SMT's parallel thread running capabilities. The malicious PortSmash process than leaks small amounts of data from the legitimate process, helping an attacker reconstruct the encrypted data processed inside the legitimate process. Researchers say they've already confirmed that PortSmash impacts Intel CPUs which support the company's Hyper-Threading (HT) technology. His team also published proof-of-concept (PoC) code on GitHub that demonstrates a PortSmash attack on Intel Skylake and Kaby Lake CPUs. The PoC steals an OpenSSL (<= 1.1.0h) P-384 private key from a TLS server by successfully exploiting PortSmash, but the attack can be modified to target any type of data. PortSmash definitely does not need root privileges." "We leave as future work exploring the capabilities of PortSmash on other architectures featuring SMT, especially on AMD Ryzen systems," PortSmash is tracked in the CVE vulnerability tracking system with the CVE-2018-5407 identifier.

My Thoughts:

While this doesn't affect non-SMT/Hyperthreaded CPUs, that's still 54/71 Consumer grade processors within Skylake alone. Intel really seems to like their Hyper-Threading, then again, so does AMD.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

This attack needs : frequency scaling and turbo boost off... it's a  poor attack with pretty weak bases considering most of HT intel SKUs come with those enabled.

In case you want to run the code : https://github.com/bbbrumley/portsmash

Also, as a guess, due to the "small bits of exfiltrated data at a time" nature of the attack, cryptography with Perfect Forward Secrecy (industry standard nowadays) might remain pretty unaffected.

Gaming Laptop :  MSI (worst brand ever in EU) GT70 0NC 48FR - I7 3610QM - 670M 3GB GDDR5 - 12GB 1600MHZ - raid0 2 x 64GB sandisk SSD - 750 Gb Hitachi 7200/min

Galaxy s3 GTI9300 international - Archidroid v2.5.3 (git) - 1600Mhz PegasuQ on ArchiKernel .

4 minutes ago, kuzko said:

This attack needs : frequency scaling and turbo boost off... it's a  poor attack with pretty weak bases considering most of HT intel SKUs come with those enabled.

In case you want to run the code : https://github.com/bbbrumley/portsmash

You have a good point. Although combining this attack with temporary privilege escalation or a dirty write would make this more feasible. 

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Why is this any different than any of the other hyperthreading vulnerabilities? It seems to just be the exact same exploit

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Sadly hilarious that my I5-4690K is more secure than my I7-7700K

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Oh good, another half dud reason for ignorant fanboys to wax lyrical about the need to promote AMD over Intel regardless of whether its actually better or not. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

36 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Oh good, another half dud reason for ignorant fanboys to wax lyrical about the need to promote AMD over Intel regardless of whether its actually better or not. 

Pff, T.I. All the way, they have Cyrix blood inside them.

deep... deep...deep inside...

Just a bit of insight :

I wouldn't necessarily conclude that all SMT Cpus are affected, which is why the jury is still up for AMD. 

SMT is just a concept. Actual implementations and design decisions change considerably (intel themselves have said they basically have to re-engineer HT for every architecture). 

Just look at HT on the p4 vs modern skylake. 

Intel being affected does not, for example, imply that AMD, IBM, SPARC etc are affected, and it might even be architecture specific within intel itself. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Hey kids, want to buy some Pot............. 

... Smash? 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

how does shit like spectre, meltdown, and portsmash even get made? Does some asshole(s) make them?

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

10 hours ago, mxk. said:

how does shit like spectre, meltdown, and portsmash even get made? Does some asshole(s) make them?

Because you have to weigh cost, performance snd security and usually when designing a system security is normally the one that is lacking.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Time to turn my 8086K into an 8600K guys!

I have frequency scaling and turbo boost enabled. Meaning this "vulnerability" won't work. And 99% of people run Intel CPU's this way anyway. I have my CPU overclocked and I still run both. In fact all my CPU controls are on AUTO as it runs at same voltages I've used manually.

12 hours ago, mxk. said:

They don't get made.  Because CPU's are so complicated (beyond the ability of any human to hold in their mind at one time)  it is impossible to conceive all the possible issues that might arise from the end product.    It would be like trying memorize all the networks of the US power grid including monitoring and control hardware/software and being able to predict where the next power outage might be.  They can go a fair way in making it as secure as possible (by putting in things like circuit breakers)  but they cannot perfectly account for everything. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Ars Technica noted that:

OpenSSL developers have since released an update that makes PortSmash infeasible. While details weren’t immediately available, they likely involve changes in the way OpenSSL uses, or interacts with, SMT.

Another approach the authors recommend is for applications to use port-independent code, which “can be achieved through secret-independent execution flow secure coding practices, similar to constant-time execution.”

Meaning software can mitigate this problem.

On 11/4/2018 at 1:07 PM, mxk. said:

Processors have quintillions upon quintillion ways of being executed. It's impossible even with automated testing to poke at every single input and evaluate every single output to validate the processor is safe in a reasonable amount of time.

And even then, the processor likely doesn't know any better. In this case, the researchers found the keys by determining how long it took for an instruction stream to process. A processor isn't going to "oh, I think someone is observing this" and react to it. It doesn't care. Also as noted, unless the attacker was also aware of the clock speed of the processor, those processing times are moot because they would be frequently changing due to processor adjusting the clock speed on the fly for power saving reasons.

Maybe this is why Intel released the 9700K without HT

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

So... Someone explain that one to me. Do you need to download and install something for this to even be possible or is it a remotely installed kind of thing without the user knowing?
They didn't really say anything of that nature in that article.(Unless I missed it, which is very possible)

If we need to install something that's "infected" with this, how is it different from any plain old trojan, other than the fact it takes the information from the CPU instead of the OS? Which would mean, don't install everything you find online, as usual?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

5 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

So... Someone explain that one to me. Do you need to download and install something for this to even be possible or is it a remotely installed kind of thing without the user knowing?
They didn't really say anything of that nature in that article.(Unless I missed it, which is very possible)

If we need to install something that's "infected" with this, how is it different from any plain old trojan, other than the fact it takes the information from the CPU instead of the OS? Which would mean, don't install everything you find online, as usual?

This would effectively just be a payload with method of delivery determined by the attacker. It doesn't really do anything except for reading data it shouldn't.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz