Aero 15X. 16GB vs 32GB

BSula99

Hey all,

So I was looking at picking up an Aero 15X (4k IPS, i7 8750H, 1070 Max-Q) to be my daily driver for school and work, along with some gaming until I can set up a desktop rig down the road. So I have a couple questions about what config to get. First, does 2666 SO-DIMM vs 3000 Ripjaw RAM really make a difference in performance worth $200? I don't think it does, but wanted to double check for some outside input on the matter. Second, I want this laptop to remain viable for as many years as possible. Is 32GB going to become the standard down the road (3+ years), or should I stick with 16GB? Since its the most obvious application for it, yes, I will do some editing with this device for drone footage, but amateur at that.

V/R

1. Wouldn't buy the upgraded DIMMs. Seems like a waste to me

2. If you're planning on doing big projects with lots of effects, spring for the extra RAM. If not, then 16GB will be absolutely fine for at least 3 years. 8GB is the standard today, and I see 16GB being the standard very soon. Would expect 4 years before 32GB starts becoming common.

REMEMBER:

IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND, YOU GOTTA QUOTE ME 

OR

PUT @Fixinit1 IN YOUR RESPONSE!!!!!

Gosh, I hate it when people forget. Anyway, check out my PC below, and there's a PCPartPicker link on my profile, If you wanna see what I'm planning.

Spoiler

SYSTEM SPECS: Finally ditched the Pentium N3540, now I've got the following:

CPU - Ryzen 5 2400G

GPU - 1060 6GB Gigabyte G1 Gaming

RAM - 16GB DDR4 3000mhz Team T-Force Delta RGB

MOTHERBOARD - MSI B350 Tomahawk

PSU - EVGA 450BT

CASE - PHANTEKS  P350X

200 dollars for the different ram is a waste for sure. 32 might be nice for some tasks like video editing and such but everything else 16gb will be more than enough for a several years. 

8 hours ago, BSula99 said:

First, does 2666 SO-DIMM vs 3000 Ripjaw RAM really make a difference in performance worth $200?

Most laptop don't support XMP, so a 3000MHz kit will still run at 2666. Waste of money

8 hours ago, BSula99 said:

econd, I want this laptop to remain viable for as many years as possible. Is 32GB going to become the standard down the road (3+ years), or should I stick with 16GB?

Depends on your usage. You can opt for one 16GB stick and if needed, add 1 more in future

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128