best $1000 camera for videos?

Go to solution Solved by cc143,

They are best served by a camcorder rather than dslr/ mirrorless system, although if they already bought a good enough camera, they might be better off stitching clips together instead. 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1109387-REG/sony_hdr_ax33v_4k_ultra_hd.html

maybe something like this? 

hey, so my friend needs a camera for $1k.. he said anything under, what he needs is good quality, and able to record for as long as he wants (he needs a new one because his old one could only record 30 minuts) suggestions?

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

What is he using it for? I'm no camera expert, but I can try to help.

REMEMBER:

IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND, YOU GOTTA QUOTE ME 

OR

PUT @Fixinit1 IN YOUR RESPONSE!!!!!

Gosh, I hate it when people forget. Anyway, check out my PC below, and there's a PCPartPicker link on my profile, If you wanna see what I'm planning.

Spoiler

SYSTEM SPECS: Finally ditched the Pentium N3540, now I've got the following:

CPU - Ryzen 5 2400G

GPU - 1060 6GB Gigabyte G1 Gaming

RAM - 16GB DDR4 3000mhz Team T-Force Delta RGB

MOTHERBOARD - MSI B350 Tomahawk

PSU - EVGA 450BT

CASE - PHANTEKS  P350X

2 minutes ago, Fixinit1 said:

What is he using it for? I'm no camera expert, but I can try to help.

i think youtube.. preferrably 4k.. but he said “high def” for sure

They are best served by a camcorder rather than dslr/ mirrorless system, although if they already bought a good enough camera, they might be better off stitching clips together instead. 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1109387-REG/sony_hdr_ax33v_4k_ultra_hd.html

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

2 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

i think youtube.. preferrably 4k.. but he said “high def” for sure

With YouTube's compression, a modern Smartphone may honestly be the best investment. Take a look at Linus's server room tour filmed with a phone and a gimbal, honestly looks pretty good, and it's portable and multi purpose.

REMEMBER:

IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND, YOU GOTTA QUOTE ME 

OR

PUT @Fixinit1 IN YOUR RESPONSE!!!!!

Gosh, I hate it when people forget. Anyway, check out my PC below, and there's a PCPartPicker link on my profile, If you wanna see what I'm planning.

Spoiler

SYSTEM SPECS: Finally ditched the Pentium N3540, now I've got the following:

CPU - Ryzen 5 2400G

GPU - 1060 6GB Gigabyte G1 Gaming

RAM - 16GB DDR4 3000mhz Team T-Force Delta RGB

MOTHERBOARD - MSI B350 Tomahawk

PSU - EVGA 450BT

CASE - PHANTEKS  P350X

4 minutes ago, cc143 said:

i think so, thanks

Sony alpha a6000 (there is also a higher level called the a3000, or the a5000)

It makes excellent quality photos and videos for the price nad it's a nice size.

13 hours ago, hiitswilliam said:

Sony alpha a6000 (there is also a higher level called the a3000, or the a5000)

It makes excellent quality photos and videos for the price nad it's a nice size.

That won't work for him. He said he needed something that does not have a time limit on video recording.

15 hours ago, Fixinit1 said:

With YouTube's compression, a modern Smartphone may honestly be the best investment. Take a look at Linus's server room tour filmed with a phone and a gimbal, honestly looks pretty good, and it's portable and multi purpose.

I personally don't think it looks that good...

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

You can just stick in a huge SD card and it should be fine. Everything will eventually run out of space.

10 minutes ago, hiitswilliam said:

You can just stick in a huge SD card and it should be fine. Everything will eventually run out of space.

i mean how some cameras will automatically stop the recording in 10, 30, or an hour

ohhhh. I thought that was just a mattter of changing the settings.

There is something I hadn`t thought about earlier, If they bought a Canon Camera, there is a workaround potentially, although I`m not 100% sure, you can download Magic Lantern, depending on the camera they bought and that should give you a lot more video functionality, possibly removing the 29.59 record limit. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

On 11/2/2018 at 12:35 PM, cc143 said:

There is something I hadn`t thought about earlier, If they bought a Canon Camera, there is a workaround potentially, although I`m not 100% sure, you can download Magic Lantern, depending on the camera they bought and that should give you a lot more video functionality, possibly removing the 29.59 record limit. 

As someone who does video on a cracked a6500, I don't recommend this. If your use case is just video, just get a video camera. The image quality is definitely going to be better on a cracked DSLR, but for long term recordings the batteries die pretty fast in video mode, they get super hot, and it's constantly a pain to make sure that they are working.

For example, I just did my first shoot with a professional camera, and my god was a huge change from working with a DSLR. Huge battery, unlimited recording, easy to change whatever settings, comfortable to use on a tripod or handheld, tally lights, it is just so much less hassle. Obviously you don't get all these benifits from a Sony FDR-AX33, but you get the tally light and the battery life, the most important parts imho

3 hours ago, Bustapalapeno said:

As someone who does video on a cracked a6500, I don't recommend this. If your use case is just video, just get a video camera. The image quality is definitely going to be better on a cracked DSLR, but for long term recordings the batteries die pretty fast in video mode, they get super hot, and it's constantly a pain to make sure that they are working.

For example, I just did my first shoot with a professional camera, and my god was a huge change from working with a DSLR. Huge battery, unlimited recording, easy to change whatever settings, comfortable to use on a tripod or handheld, tally lights, it is just so much less hassle. Obviously you don't get all these benifits from a Sony FDR-AX33, but you get the tally light and the battery life, the most important parts imho

Well sure, but if it saves you $1000... Also, there are workarounds to the majority of the things you mentioned, which would cost a lot less than a new camera. Furthermore, I'm not saying only Sony cameras overheat, but they are sort of infamous for it. 

Additionally, if the capability and need was there to buy a red then it would be a whole different story. 

4 hours ago, cc143 said:

Well sure, but if it saves you $1000... Also, there are workarounds to the majority of the things you mentioned, which would cost a lot less than a new camera. Furthermore, I'm not saying only Sony cameras overheat, but they are sort of infamous for it. 

Additionally, if the capability and need was there to buy a red then it would be a whole different story. 

I was assuming that the buyer didn't already have a DSLR lying around to take video with. Of course I would rather have a dedicated video camera, but I don't, so I do what I do. And yea I know Sony is the main one to have the overheating problem, but I am just trying to describe my experience with using mirrorless cameras as video cameras, and the problems that one might have and have to work around.

Yes there are work arounds, but if video is your main buisness and you are getting money for it, best not to risk it and get a camera designed for what you are trying to do.