My PC was stolen and I am devastated, anything I could do?

So my place was robbed and my entire gaming setup was stolen, that includes:
-K380 Cooler Master Case
-Ryzen 5 1600 
-Cryorig H5 Ultimate + Stock cooler
-EVGA 980 ti Classified 
-MSI B350 Tomahawk 
-2x Flare X RAM Sticks 3200 MHZ
-2 WD Blues 1 TB Each
-Velox 240 Gigs SSDs
-Seasonic EVO 620 PSU
-A ton of peripherals, a monitor and a TV and a whole other bunch of stuff
I am devastated to say the least, I bought my first PC when I was 10 and kept upgrading it in really slow steps till it got here, it holds a whole lot of sentimental value and was pretty much my best friend, it's also my source of income since I do motion graphics for a living, and financially I can't afford to rebuild anything even close to it, is there any way I could have a chance of getting it back ? the robbery took place 5 days ago and the cops have nothing to offer, thanks for your support !

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

Do you have renters insurance or house insurance? Both could potentially cover those stolen items completely or partially. 

insurance is not really a thing where I live, yeah third world countries ftw

If you have Windows 10, with a Microsoft linked account, and had that "Find my PC" feature enabled, you can track your PC where it is from IP address. It's not precise, but can help police to track your computer to recover it. Of course, the person that stole the PC must hook up the PC to power and Ethernet and turn it on.

Please note that the exact location may be wrong, as it goes by IP, and VPN will fool this system (unless you have added a GPS system in your desktop, for the feature to use).

Of course, change all your passwords, and setup 2 factor authentications.

Just now, OmarTheBoner said:

insurance is not really a thing where I live, yeah third world countries ftw

Was worth a shot. Well unless you find the person who did it or the police catch them then you are kinda out of luck. 

7 minutes ago, Chris_R. said:

We'll, unless you hunt them down James bond style.... 

I would change passwords on literally everything you can think of. They stole the stuff, don't let them enjoy what was on it. (Games, information etc)

Ya Chris is right change your windows account password so they cant log in to the pc.

Current main PC:

CPU: R7 5800x (PBO undervolted)

GPU: 7900XT

RAM: 32gb Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz

MOBO: Asus ROG B550 F Gaming Wifi

CASE: Xtia Xproto ATX

Server PC:

CPU: Xeon X5690

GPU: R9 Fury X

RAM: Assorted 4gb sticks (24gb total)

MOBO: Asus Sabretooth X58

CASE: Alienware Area 51 ALX

This might be far fetched, but do you have any idea who could have stolen it? were you bragging about your amazing computer to any one you didn't really know or anything?

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

9 hours ago, TheClueLessMajority said:

This might be far fetched, but do you have any idea who could have stolen it? were you bragging about your amazing computer to any one you didn't really know or anything?

^ This, a lot of kidnapped victims know they're kidnappers. I know it isn't a person that got nabbed but the same logic applies.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

16 hours ago, Chris_R. said:

We'll, unless you hunt them down James bond style.... 

I would change passwords on literally everything you can think of. They stole the stuff, don't let them enjoy what was on it. (Games, information etc)

(Great video!)

8 hours ago, RuffRuffmcgruff said:

^ This, a lot of kidnapped victims know they're kidnappers. I know it isn't a person that got nabbed but the same logic applies.

Wait, I actually had a a good idea? That's unusual. . .

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

Also if you had some services like steam, battle.net, etc set to auto login when your computer turns on... you can  try contacting those companies or having the police contact them for latest IP login information. That is another way they can find the pc. The problem is 99% of police departments won't do any of that leg work for you and don't even want to do the work if you bring them all the information they need to arrest the thief.

2 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

Also if you had some services like steam, battle.net, etc set to auto login when your computer turns on... you can  try contacting those companies or having the police contact them for latest IP login information. That is another way they can find the pc. The problem is 99% of police departments won't do any of that leg work for you and don't even want to do the work if you bring them all the information they need to arrest the thief.

That's actually a great idea. Steam at least will give you the IP of the last login. And with that information the cops don't really have 'much' work (depends on how many donuts they consume of course). IP + ISP = Adress and the cops just need to knock on the door.

For everyone who needs some sort of preventive measure (as far as it goes), try a combination of 

https://preyproject.com

and 

https://www.pulseway.com

The free account at Prey gives you three devices to track. They also work via IP. You can set up one 'control zone', your home for example and when a device leaves the premises, you'll get notified via email. It works well.

Pulsway is not really thought for it but it can also help you to track the IP of your device. The free account gives you two devices to monitor. If the IP changes or if another user logs in, you'll get notified via email or even in the app (iOS, Android) on your smartphone.

I know that no software is perfect and people, like if they know their way around tech, would wipe the hard drive anyways.

But you can bait them. Have your main account always password secured and set up a second account that doesn't ask for a password (kind of like the Guest Account on a Mac). If they're dumb enough to try to log in into that account (which oh wonder works because it doesn't ask for a password) and are even dumber and connect your computer / laptop to a wifi network, bang, IP in your inbox.

Just make sure the bait account doesn't have admin rights.

Edit: Always keep a record of serial numbers of your parts and if possible MAC addresses somewhere safe. That also helps to get stolen parts back. It's a small chance but it's one.

“For if we are truly created equal, then surely the love we commit to one another must be equal as well.” 
― Barack Obama

Tech:

Daily Driver: MacBook Pro 15" TB (mid-2018), Intel Core i7-8850H, 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz, 512 GB SSD, AMD Radeon Pro 560XWeight lifting: Dell Alienware 15 R4, Intel Core i7-8750H, 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz SK Hynix, Nvidia GTX 1070 on 15" 1080p TN Gsync 120Hz, Intel Pro 7600p PCIe NVMe 256 GB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 15" 1920x1080 TN Gsync 120Hz, Windows 10 Pro, Fedora 30, K.L, P.OS. The Home Panel: Samsung C34H892, 34" Ultra Wide 3440x1440p, VA, 60Hz.

Tumblr - Riot-Company, CA

On 11/1/2018 at 1:55 PM, Brooksie359 said:

Was worth a shot. Well unless you find the person who did it or the police catch them then you are kinda out of luck. 

Keep an incredibly close eye on the used markets, I'd imagine a setup like that would sell for a pretty penny.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Keep an incredibly close eye on the used markets, I'd imagine a setup like that would sell for a pretty penny.

thrift shops. It will be sold for 100$ to a thrift shop for drug money 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

2 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

thrift shops. It will be sold for 100$ to a thrift shop for drug money 

That too.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!