Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PC crashes, can't find out why

Story & Details:

Spoiler

Hello! Over the last months, my PC's been randomly crashing. Before it was every 8-12 hours, it went down to 5-6 hours the last week and now it's either 5-6 hours or 1-2 hours (I've seen it crash as early as 10 minutes in though, wtf).

The crash occurs like this:

Early symptoms (5 ish mins before crashing): Some programs don't run properly. (Said programs that don't run properly and crash and have a crash log say it's about not being able to allocate memory)

Actual crash: Literally all apps crash (or go and throw a hissy fit https://i.redd.it/sbiaohauavi11.png). PC freezes a few seconds in. Sometimes I can literally see dwm.exe crashing (so yeah, not some lame bug at all). A lot of programs throw out a 0xc0000012d or similar error message and say the application failed to start (???). No BSODs, the PC does not restart by itself. Audio either stutters or survives for a few secs before stuttering or cutting out.

After a hard reset, everything is fine. I've run memtest86 for 7 hours straight (shortly after I downgraded my RAM so I could sell my other stick and weirdly that's when it started crashing after 1-2 hours instead of 5-6 hours) and it detected no problems.

The crash typically comes much earlier if I run games (can come as early as game loading or as late when the game has already started and I've gotten into a match and everything's loaded), although if I restart my PC most of the time I can run the games perfectly fine.

I have no idea what's causing this. My system is quite old but absolutely not old enough to cause problems (2-3 years old). It had been running fine for years. SMART tests show that my SSD is fine (I literally have nothing on my 1TB HDD). As shown above, memtest86 for 7 hours straight shows no problems and temps are absolutely not an issue. It can happen randomly (while web browsing or during heavy gaming). I can't remember if this problem started when I upgraded to Windows 10 1809, when I got an SSD or when I upgraded my shitty PSU (somehow that thing kept me good with no problems for 2 years even though it's trash quality) to my current PSU. My GPU and CPU have no underclocks or overclocks. I have no idea what's causing this. I have not tried running any other OS and seeing if it crashes too.

Specs:

Spoiler

• CPU: i3-4160
  • GPU: GTX 950
  • RAM: 1x8GB DDR3 (Previously 2x8GB DDR3)
  • Motherboard: H81M-S1, latest BIOS version
  • PSU: Previously LC-Power 550W 80+ Bronze, now Corsair CX550M (2015, black and grey (new) edition)
  • Case: NOX Coolbay RX
  • Storage: Patriot Burst 240GB (SSD), Western Digital WD10-EAVS 1TB (HDD)

Main PC:  MacBook Air (M1, 2020), 8GB of RAM, 256GB of storage; running macOS, but waiting for Linux to be ported to the M1

Firstly, great work on providing details with this post and I do hope you find the answer. 

Secondly, I had a somewhat similar issue and it was my PSU wasn't doing it's job but I had different symptoms. 

I wish you luck!

Work Laptop: HP ZBook 15  i7-4800QM 16GB  Home Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 720s i7 8550u Phone: Galaxy S9  

CPU: R7 3700X GPU: GTX 1070 it Strix HDD: 1TB WD Blue SSD: 128gb 970 Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4

It's possible there's a problem with the memory controller on your CPU, not the ram itself, that caused the memory error. That or the motherboard.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

So, what am I supposed to do? Thankfully in late November i'm upgrading to a Ryzen system with new CPU, motherboard and RAM so that will probably sort itself out if it was the problem

Main PC:  MacBook Air (M1, 2020), 8GB of RAM, 256GB of storage; running macOS, but waiting for Linux to be ported to the M1