Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Integrated 1060 instead of Intel HD

I don't understand if it's possible with a laptop, but I'm tired of my Intel graphics slowing down my performance. I want my 1060 to take over for everything, not just games, but all display through my laptop screen. I have an Alienware (Dell manufactured)  17 R4, specs as follows: 
i7-7700HQ @ 2.8Ghz 

16GB DDR4 

Intel HD Graphics 630 8GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

capture.PNG

(I have gone into the BIOS to look for graphics settings but found nothing to help. Hence why I don't know if this is possible since all laptops are OEM)

4 minutes ago, SomeTeenThatLovesComputers said:

I don't understand if it's possible with a laptop, but I'm tired of my Intel graphics slowing down my performance. I want my 1060 to take over for everything, not just games, but all display through my laptop screen. I have an Alienware (Dell manufactured)  17 R4, specs as follows: 
i7-7700HQ @ 2.8Ghz 

16GB DDR4 

Intel HD Graphics 630 8GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

capture.PNG

(I have gone into the BIOS to look for graphics settings but found nothing to help. Hence why I don't know if this is possible since all laptops are OEM)

Your laptop already switches automatically between the 2. depending on the load.

it doesn't matter witch one your display is connected to.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

from dell site;

If you have installed the latest NVIDIA driver for your system and have slow performance issues with your games do the following:

• Set the discrete card as the preferred graphics processor:

1. Right Click on your desktop
    2. Click NVIDIA Control Panel
    3. Click Manage 3D Settings on the left menu
    4. Click on the Preferred graphics processor drop down menu under the Global Settings tab
    5. Select High-performance NVIDIA processor from the list

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln146534/configuring-nvidia-optimus-and-amd-switchable-graphics-for-high-performance-on-your-alienware-system?lang=en#toc1

EDIT: I know this says for games but it should work for all graphics accelerated processes.

1 minute ago, givingtnt said:

Your laptop already switches automatically between the 2. depending on the load.

it doesn't matter witch one your display is connected to.

I know but I would like to disable the Intel HD completely and only use the 1060

1 minute ago, SuperCloneRanger said:

from dell site;

If you have installed the latest NVIDIA driver for your system and have slow performance issues with your games do the following:

• Set the discrete card as the preferred graphics processor:

1. Right Click on your desktop
    2. Click NVIDIA Control Panel
    3. Click Manage 3D Settings on the left menu
    4. Click on the Preferred graphics processor drop down menu under the Global Settings tab
    5. Select High-performance NVIDIA processor from the list

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln146534/configuring-nvidia-optimus-and-amd-switchable-graphics-for-high-performance-on-your-alienware-system?lang=en#toc1

Again, I would like to only use my 1060. This only changes application settings, not my system overall.

2 minutes ago, SomeTeenThatLovesComputers said:

I know but I would like to disable the Intel HD completely and only use the 1060

Theres not point in that.

When it recognizes that you need the extra power, it will switch. Using the integrated graphics saves of battery.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Theres not point in that.

When it recognizes that you need the extra power, it will switch. Using the integrated graphics saves of battery.

I dont care about power usage. Efficiency isnt my goal here, performance is. I dont want Intel HD anymore, it takes up my processing power.

3 minutes ago, SomeTeenThatLovesComputers said:

Again, I would like to only use my 1060. This only changes application settings, not my system overall.

5 minutes ago, SuperCloneRanger said:

EDIT: I know this says for games but it should work for all graphics accelerated processes.

You must not of read the edit, to the best of my understanding that is what the global setting is for. if the process/application uses graphics it will use the preferred graphical processor you have set in global settings.

4 minutes ago, SuperCloneRanger said:

You must not of read the edit, to the best of my understanding that is what the global setting is for. if the process/application uses graphics it will use the preferred graphical processor you have set in global settings.

It hasn't. My laptop has always had the 1060 set to global but it still only uses the Intel HD for the display. This was why I came here to troubleshoot it.

2 minutes ago, SomeTeenThatLovesComputers said:

It hasn't. My laptop has always had the 1060 set to global but it still only uses the Intel HD for the display. This was why I came here to troubleshoot it.

If I remember correctly you have to use the Intel HD to some extent as that is what the display is connected to. When using the dedicated gpu it runs through the Intel HD igpu to display things. 

12 minutes ago, SomeTeenThatLovesComputers said:

I dont care about power usage. Efficiency isnt my goal here, performance is. I dont want Intel HD anymore, it takes up my processing power.

The Intel HD doesn't "take up your processing power" The graphics on an intel chip are their own thing and have nothing to do with your cpu computing cores.

This is a 4770k, but notice how it is setup. The graphics is it's own thing... it does not have any impact on your processing power. All it can do is add a little heat to the chip, but from what I have seen it doesn't even add that much heat.

image.png.9e8e2e18e1a32a9479f1648345f68833.png

9 minutes ago, SomeTeenThatLovesComputers said:

The main point is that the screen is only connected to your igpu so no matter what the 1060 has to go through the Intel HD graphics in order to display to the screen otherwise it would be the same as running a dedicated gpu but not connecting it to the monitor meaning a black screen and complete useless. 

5 minutes ago, SomeTeenThatLovesComputers said:

What we have here is a lack of understanding, the integrated graphics is part of your processor(on the same silicon) and is the display output, your nvidia graphics connects to the display through the integrated graphics. its not a desktop and thinking of it as a desktop has confused you, just because the system is showing display out as intel HD does not mean it is not using the discrete nvidia graphics.

buy laptop with Gsync or Freesync next time, dedicated graphics will work all the time and you get terrible battery life.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s