WhatsApp found a place to show you ads

kevin222

A WhatsApp VP says the messaging service will start showing ads alongside its popular Status feature, reports The Economic Times. Speaking at an event in New Delhi, WhatsApp Vice President Chris Daniels said that the ads would be the service’s “primary monetization mode for the company” and would offer “an opportunity for businesses to reach people.” No timeline was given for the change.

Now We will see more ads in our life :)

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/1/18051294/whatsapp-status-advert-instagram-stories

I can't believe we need ads for messaging services. Seems crazy, but they gotta scrap every penny they can get from us.

Also gonna have to add a source, and quote and your own opinion to make this a valid news thread

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

3 minutes ago, Shally said:

I can't believe we need ads for messaging services. Seems crazy, but they gotta scrap every penny they can get from us.

Also gonna have to add a source, and quote and your own opinion to make this a valid news thread

Source Added

Yes, this messaging app is the property of Facebook, So it was expected from it. 

3 minutes ago, avg123 said:

I would rather pay a yearly fee and opt out of ads, if that is possible.

I think, They will not provide a premium version but let's see when they launch this feature what happens!

9 minutes ago, kevin222 said:

Please follow Tech News posting guidelines:

You need quote boxes and personal thoughts

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

6 minutes ago, kevin222 said:

I think, They will not provide a premium version but let's see when they launch this feature what happens!

I remember there was a time where you had to pay for WhatsApp, got the first year free then you had to pay(though it was easy to get around). That's going back quite a few years as I was still in high school and I finished 5 years ago now. 

There was no ads back then though whether you paid or not. 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

6 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Please follow Tech News posting guidelines:

You need quote boxes and personal thoughts

Done

5 minutes ago, iRileyx said:

I remember there was a time where you had to pay for WhatsApp, got the first year free then you had to pay(though it was easy to get around). That's going back quite a few years as I was still in high school and I finished 5 years ago now. 

There was no ads back then though whether you paid or not. 

Now Era is changing, Premium Whatsapp is not beneficial as compare to whatsapp with ads for them.

44 minutes ago, Shally said:

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

43 minutes ago, Shally said:

I can't believe we need ads for messaging services. Seems crazy, but they gotta sc

Sorry to interrupt this thread but my company has accepted my proposal of a way to bring up advertising within a tech forum context.

By the way, aren't you thirsty right about now?

Image result for coca cola add

-------

Current Rig

-------

17 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Sorry to interrupt this thread but my company has accepted my proposal of a way to bring up advertising within a tech forum context.

By the way, aren't you thirsty right about 

That's crazy I got the same proposal passed, but I was told it had to be real  subtle

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

Viber then. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I'd rather pick to restart paying the 99c/year fee

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

56 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

By the way, aren't you thirsty right about now?

Image result for coca cola add

The way you transitioned into that ad actually makes me mad.

It's the perfect size to be a legit ad on mobile.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

Well, it doesn't look like it going to affect me considering I didn't even know the status feature existed until now!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

Look, it's owned by Facebook. That's it. That's all there is to say. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

4 hours ago, avg123 said:

I would rather pay a yearly fee and opt out of ads, if that is possible.

They used to operate based on that model in 2014 and 2015. It was free for a year and then $1 USD per additional year. In 2016 things changed and they switched to Free.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Well, since I don't use WhatsApp that very often, I might as well just stay away from it a little further than usual. I get it from a business perspective they would add advertisements on their app, but not from the social perspective because (and I hope) more and more 'mainstream' people are starting to dislike ads on apps. 

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

Telegram! 

100% free, doesn't hoard data and has no ads. Much faster and smoother than whatsapp as well 

That's an F in the profile pic

19 hours ago, yolosnail said:

Well, it doesn't look like it going to affect me considering I didn't even know the status feature existed until now!

Seriously? :D There are only two main features of WhatsApp and status is one of them

16 hours ago, Froody129 said:

Telegram

100% free, doesn't hoard data and has no ads. Much faster and smoother than whatsapp as well 

There are many good alternatives but the big thing is userbase! Whatsapp has a great user base and it's not easier to make everyone switch.