Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Build for a Game Server

Mattaeus

Go to solution Solved by Mattaeus,

Thank you for your input.

Hey guys,

1. Budget & Location

R10000 (South Africa) I am also open to a higher budget depending on suggestions. This is mostly in the planning stage right now. I also would not worry about searching on SA sites for parts, just need a list of parts and I will then search myself for. PC part picker lists will be fine.

2. Aim

This computer is going to be used for hosting game servers. Ranging from old games like half life 1 up any recentish titles such as ARMA 3 and Killing Floor 2 as well as any new titles that support dedicated hosting. Preferably Micro-ATX or Mini-ATX case with no perspex/glass window preferably. The build will not be rack mounted.

3. Monitors

N/A (Just need the actual tower build, going to accessed via remote desktop 100% of the time)

4. Peripherals

N/A (Just need the actual tower build, going to accessed via remote desktop 100% of the time)

5. Why are you upgrading?

N/A

At this point, I am just looking at suggestions or guidelines for a game server build. I was supplied with a quote on a build from a local supplier as well:

Intel Core i5-8400 2.8GHz Hex Core 14nm Coffee Lake Socket LGA1151 Desktop CPU

Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED 120mm Red Led Fan CPU Cooler

Asus TUF B360M-PLUS GAMING Intel B360 LGA 1151 mATX Desktop Motherboard

G.Skill F4-2666C15D-16GVR Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8GB) 2666MHz DDR4 CL15 1.2V Red Desktop Memory

Mushkin MKNSSDSR250GB Source 250GB 3D TLC SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive

Super Flower SF-450P14HE Bronze FX 450W 80 Plus Bronze Certified Non-Modular Black Desktop Power Supply

Fractal Design FD-CA-FOCUS-MINI-BK-W Focus G Mini Windowed Black Steel Micro-ATX Mini Tower Desktop Chassis

I am not entirely sure if the above build will be adequate hence this post.

Any help would be appreciated.

There will most likely be multiple games running. I would say probably 2-5 but not more than 10.

cheapest route is probably grabbing an r7 1700 (or 1800x if they are on sale and you are buying a cooler) and a B350 or B450 motherboard (something like the B350 PRO4 board from ASrock or the B450 tomahawk from MSI).

it grants you 8 cores and 16 threads to host things with. 2 cores will be used to host ARMA 3 as far as i know (that will be 4 threads, though you can probably manage with 3 threads). 

get the required amount of RAM and you should be good to go. 

also not need to grab a cooler as the stock one is more than fine on the 1700. get 3000/3200mhz Ram instead aswell to get the most out of the server (it is a small investment)

get a tier 1, 2, 3 PSU from the PSU tier list. you need something high quality so it doesnt decide to die randomly. 

seasonic focus gold plus is a good choice if you can spare the extra cost. 

8 minutes ago, karsnoordhuis said:

The r 1700 is indeed a nice option. Also supports ecc memory if you think you need that

most of the motherboards dont support it as it is really redundant for even his usage. it is only a real concern in servers where a bit flipping can alter big things or results

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

most of the motherboards dont support it as it is really redundant for even his usage. it is only a real concern in servers where a bit flipping can alter big things or results

Thats why i said if you really think you need it

5 minutes ago, CromaT said:

You are going to need more storage pretty quick with that many servers. Plus I prefer to keep the OS and servers off the same drive.

If you are wanting to run 2-5 servers and depending what they are you might need more ram. 16gb is plenty for 1 or 2, but once you start pushing more (unless they are minecraft servers) you are going to start needing more ram. I would guess on average (again in my experience) each game could use between 2 and 5gb of ram (unless we are talking ARK servers then bye bye ram). So on the low end of 2gb that would eat up 10gb of ram and windows will eat up another 2-4 putting you very close to what you have. So just keep in mind you will probably want to start with 2-3 servers and then move up that number as you get more ram and another SSD.

Now when Ryzen first launched I picked up an 1800 to use with a server build I wanted to play around with (for ark) and the problem I had was the server sync rate suffered pretty heavily because it just didn't have the single thread performance I needed to run a high pop server. That has improved over time, but if you are running games that need single thread performance be prepared to overclock that thing to the soft cap of around 4.1ghz. Not sure what OS you are planning to use, but if you go with a server build I had to do some tweaking on 2016 so that it wasn't constantly using speed step on my CPU when I was actually using it... which was killing my ST performance and trashing my sync rates in game.

1 hour ago, CromaT said:

I have a home server made out of spare parts that I use for game hosting, one thing you may want to look into is do any of the servers need a GPU to run. I host a DCS server on mine and it needs a GPU with at least 2 GB of VRAM just to open. Unfortunately the game has to be running to host a server as far as I've been able to find.

If you are running an Arma server with mods then storage is a consideration you need take into account as mods eat through storage quickly. Another thing to consider is if you are going to be running the servers inside a VM or if you are just going to run them all at the same time on the main system. If you use a VM, you will need more storage (each instance of the VM would need enough space for the OS and the game in question) and you would need a LOT of RAM, 32GB minimum.

Edit: You may also want to try and grab a cheap keyboard and mouse in case you ever need to get into the BIOS for some reason.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit