Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Motherboard help for a " noob "

 Share

Hi  guys hope someone could help me with this, im starting  in pc gaming  so im kinda noob.
i recently buy a Ryzen 3 1200 and im looking for overclock it to 3.8 GHZ
so my question is  what you think about this motherboard  for my purposes  "  TUF B350m-plus gaming motherboard"   im not intersted on another motherboard's because amazon US does not send to my country. i'm just looking at my local stores.
another question, in a future i would like to buy a "r5 2600"  no OC just stock Ghz this motherboard will still be a good option? 
 my other comps: 
evga 500w
8gb ram ddr4 2400mhz corsair 
rx 550 4 gb 
1tb hdd
120gb ssd 

hope someone could help me :D 
sorry for my english btw 

image.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forum! :) The motherboard should be OK to overclock the Ryzen 3 1200, however I don't have experience with overclocking AMD chips. 

 

If you want to upgrade to a Ryzen 2nd gen later, remember to update your BIOS before upgrading. If don't the PC will not work.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, mokap22 said:

i recently buy a Ryzen 3 1200 and im looking for overclock it to 3.8 GHZ
so my question is  what you think about this motherboard  for my purposes  "  TUF B350m-plus gaming motherboard"   im not intersted on another motherboard's because amazon US does not send to my country. i'm just looking at my local stores.
another question, in a future i would like to buy a "r5 2600"  no OC just stock Ghz this motherboard will still be a good option? 

this board can do that, but honestly I don't usually give Asus cheap boards a crap because they perform so badly for their price, and this board is no exception

 

16 minutes ago, mokap22 said:

evga 500w

eh, that's concerning. EVGa doesnt make good 500w units.

 

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

you can overclock both chips fine on this board.

 

download Ryzen master to check how stable difference voltage setting and clockspeeds are.

 

attempt 1,35volts at 3,8 ghz

 

then do a stresstest. if it works, drop the voltage untill it fails the stresstest. use the voltage stetting above the failure and write that down.

 

got to BIOS and plugg in the voltage and speed target to get it stable. while in the BIOS i recommend setting a more agressive fancurve.

 

go into the OS and do a final stresstest to validate the Overclock. use something like Aida 64.

 

note: while testing, keep an eye on temps and keep them below 90*C. if it reaches above 90*C make the fancurve more agressive.

 

there are plenty on overclockingguides on Ryzen on youtube. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

eh, that's concerning. EVGa doesnt make good 500w units.

For the time being, I suppose it'll do, as this combo won't even pull over 150W under load, but yeah, it's not a unit that should be run long term once the PC is upgraded.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X MSI B550M Mortar 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 @ CL15 - RX5700XT 660p 1TBGB & 256GB 600p Fractal Define Mini C CM V550 - Pop!_OS 20.04

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

you can overclock both chips fine on this board.

 

download Ryzen master to check how stable difference voltage setting and clockspeeds are.

 

attempt 1,35volts at 3,8 ghz

 

then do a stresstest. if it works, drop the voltage untill it fails the stresstest. use the voltage stetting above the failure and write that down.

 

got to BIOS and plugg in the voltage and speed target to get it stable. while in the BIOS i recommend setting a more agressive fancurve.

 

go into the OS and do a final stresstest to validate the Overclock. use something like Aida 64.

 

note: while testing, keep an eye on temps and keep them below 90*C. if it reaches above 90*C make the fancurve more agressive.

 

there are plenty on overclockingguides on Ryzen on youtube. 

good luck with that motherboard's crappy VRMs.

 

4 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

For the time being, I suppose it'll do, as this combo won't even pull over 150W under load, but yeah, it's not a unit that should be run long term once the PC is upgraded.

*shrug* hope no accidents happen then

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Jurrunio said:

good luck with that motherboard's crappy VRMs.

i have the same crappy VRM on a lot cheaper motherboard. for some reason my 3,9ghz overclock is working, but i dont dare go higher on my voltage to get more. 

 

like B350 motherboards arent made for overclocking even though they can, but when you pay a lot for a TUF board you at least expect something better than the stock Prime plus board

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

i have the same crappy VRM on a lot cheaper motherboard. for some reason my 3,9ghz overclock is working, but i dont dare go higher on my voltage to get more. 

 

like B350 motherboards arent made for overclocking even though they can, but when you pay a lot for a TUF board you at least expect something better than the stock Prime plus board

by 'that' I mean the 6 core. You can overclock quad core Ryzen on pretty much anything that supports such act.

 

On VRMs and the heatsink, the TUF Plus is even worse than the Prime Plus as it lacks the SOC VRM heatsink. Not like it matters for the non-APUs, but it is a downgrade.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

by 'that' I mean the 6 core. You can overclock quad core Ryzen on pretty much anything that supports such act.

 

On VRMs and the heatsink, the TUF Plus is even worse than the Prime Plus as it lacks the SOC VRM heatsink. Not like it matters for the non-APUs, but it is a downgrade.

i could probably still hold a decent 6 core overclock, but the VRMs are truly awful on these boards in comparison to what i payed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×