So uh... do you actually WANT an edge to edge screen on your phone?

corrado33

What's up with this edge to edge screen crap? It seems to be the next HUGE thing in phones but... it sounds awful. Did anybody actually... ask for this? How on earth are you supposed  to hold it? Why is it such a big deal? Does anyone really care if their phone has a little bezel around the outside?

Comments? Thoughts? Do YOU want an edge to edge screen? 

EDIT: Sure... it looks futuristic... but I think it really cuts down on the "user accessibility." Seriously, when you're holding it normally, can your thumb reach the whole screen? And, for the love of the transistor, why on earth is everyone getting rid of physical buttons. We all know virtual buttons suck. 

Nobody asked for it.

I don't get the trends either, just give me a phone that lasts long (like 3-4 days or more) on battery, finito. At least when only used for at most 2 hours (when only messaging and just google a few things) a day.

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

I'm not opposed to the idea entirely, but some bezel is nice. I mean, look at the disaster that was the S6 Edge. Even when picking the thing up it registered input. Some bezel is good in cases like that. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

35 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

I'm not opposed to the idea entirely, but some bezel is nice. I mean, look at the disaster that was the S6 Edge. Even when picking the thing up it registered input. Some bezel is good in cases like that. 

Also, even a miniscule bezel helps in the display not shattering that easily. Edge-to-edge displays, no matter what Gorilla-glass version it is, is going to be more fragile.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

This summer I watched some Netflix on my phone and with that specific use; edge to edge displays actually look quite nice. But I don't watch videos on my phone often at all, especially not 21:9 content.

But other than that.. I don't know why people want it (other than bragging rights)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

It’s pretty! And shiny! And it looks cooooool. I’m just your average consumer, walking into the Verizon store, and the only thing that could possible pull me away from my precious iPhone is a BIG SHINY. 

Basically, it looks good, and good looking phones sell well to the average consumer. 

I want it, all bezels do is make large screen phones even larger. The iPhone X is my idea of the perfect design for a phone