What to look for when buying a used motherboard

Go to solution Solved by aezakmi,

Ignore the joke comments

Look for scratches, damaged or missing capacitors, low quality repairs like big pools of solder in a certain point (typical DIY repair done following a youtube tutorial video), socket status, slots, headers and connectors

if a connector seems burnt or slightly deformed then the board has been put through a lot of stress and probably (usually tbh) some of the VRMs are faulty or dead

So, I have recently started to explore the used parts spectrum of pc components, and I am just wondering what are the key things to look for when buying

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

That it works.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

That it works.

Oh, huh, makes sense

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

whether or not it includes an I/O shield

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

That is actually something I never thought about 

Ignore the joke comments

Look for scratches, damaged or missing capacitors, low quality repairs like big pools of solder in a certain point (typical DIY repair done following a youtube tutorial video), socket status, slots, headers and connectors

if a connector seems burnt or slightly deformed then the board has been put through a lot of stress and probably (usually tbh) some of the VRMs are faulty or dead

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

You should keep an eye out for torn off resistors and bent pins (depending on the motherboard).

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

6 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

You should keep an eye out for torn off resistors and bent pins (depending on the motherboard).

Ok, if I'm not mistaken, I wouldn't have to worry about bent pins for a AMD mobo right?

3 minutes ago, lmeneses said:

Ok, if I'm not mistaken, I wouldn't have to worry about bent pins for a AMD mobo right?

On all AMD cpu/mobos that I know of, the pins are on the CPU; however, there are other pins (from fan and front-IO headers) that can be bent.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

1 minute ago, Imbellis said:

On all AMD cpu/mobos that I know of, the pins are on the CPU; however, there are other pins (from fan and front-IO headers) that can be bent.

Yea, as far as I can tell on a board I'm looking at, all the pins and capacitors look good, and it comes with all the original accessories, box, and anti-static wrap.

12 hours ago, aezakmi said:

Ignore the joke comments

It's not a joke.

Literally the best way to know you're not getting scammed is to actually test the component and see that it works before buying it.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

It's not a joke.

Literally the best way to know you're not getting scammed is to actually test the component and see that it works before buying it.

Yeah sometimes people will list something as "used" and then outline that it doesn't work In the description, easy to miss.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 hour ago, fasauceome said:

Yeah sometimes people will list something as "used" and then outline that it doesn't work In the description, easy to miss.

People list used parts that are actually dead all the time.

Especially places like ebay.

Spoiler

19 hours ago, fasauceome said:

Also if it's something like a AMD socket AM4 board, Make sure it got a CPU retention bracket so you can use a CPU cooler to prevent the CPU from cooking without one.