Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Some Advice on my Inspiron 660s

I have an Inspiron 660s, a pretty old prebuilt desktop that is in dire need of upgrades so that I can run at least SOME games. I have a Pentium G2020 processor that is not the worst to my knowledge. Currently I also don't have any graphics cards and I'm using the integrated one that comes with the Cpu. Now, I was thinking of upgrading to a new case so that I can get a new standard sized power supply (The inspiron 660s has a weird slim power supply) and a standard sized graphics card (again, the inspiron 660s has weird case dimensions so only low profile 1 slot graphic cards will work) to maybe help reduce my budget and grant more choices. With this tho, I was scared that the motherboard isn't compatible with a new power supply and all that because I read that some prebuilt systems have proprietory motherboards and power supplies. On that note tho, if I didn't upgrade the power supply, I am scared that if I get a low profile graphics card like the GT710, my power supply (220W ikr so little) won't be able to support it.

I need some advice on what to do.

You'll need to find the front panel I/O layout since these are proprietary, everything else on the mobo looks standard. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

23 minutes ago, Zada said:

Now, I was thinking of upgrading to a new case so that I can get a new standard sized power supply

The PSU issue is not really a big deal, because even proprietory psu's from the oem's can be hacked. Its just getting the right voltage to the right spot. Do not let a connector leave you stumped. Splice into it and look at the pinout diagram. If a normal psu can be used then go for it. I have gotten rid of the oem psu and used a good psu, then put it all in a case to use a good gpu.

Let's say I can't really get a new case, what would be the smart move to get good graphics but yet be safe at the same time considering the PSU's low wattage. 

18 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

The PSU issue is not really a big deal, because even proprietory psu's from the oem's can be hacked.

What do you mean hacked? 

Sorry guys I'm quite new to this PC building scene and I am not familiar with all the terms in PC building.. 

57 minutes ago, Zada said:

Let's say I can't really get a new case, what would be the smart move to get good graphics but yet be safe at the same time considering the PSU's low wattage. 

a GT 1030 will be all you can fit into the case as-is, unless you're willing to mod it with a saw or something. if you can find the front panel I/O layout online, you should be able to use a standard case with it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

4 hours ago, Zada said:

What do you mean hacked? 

Meaning you can use a regular psu on a pc that has a proprietary psu.

Its just wires with voltages on them.

5 hours ago, Zada said:

I have an Inspiron 660s, a pretty old prebuilt desktop that is in dire need of upgrades so that I can run at least SOME games. I have a Pentium G2020 processor that is not the worst to my knowledge. Currently I also don't have any graphics cards and I'm using the integrated one that comes with the Cpu. Now, I was thinking of upgrading to a new case so that I can get a new standard sized power supply (The inspiron 660s has a weird slim power supply) and a standard sized graphics card (again, the inspiron 660s has weird case dimensions so only low profile 1 slot graphic cards will work) to maybe help reduce my budget and grant more choices. With this tho, I was scared that the motherboard isn't compatible with a new power supply and all that because I read that some prebuilt systems have proprietory motherboards and power supplies. On that note tho, if I didn't upgrade the power supply, I am scared that if I get a low profile graphics card like the GT710, my power supply (220W ikr so little) won't be able to support it.

I need some advice on what to do.

Get a used gt 1030. They cost around $40-50 in the used market and are good for upgrading oem systems due to it's mere 30w power draw.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W