Multiple graphic cards for terminal server and vmware

Hi there

Im working on a small project for a customer. they need a dedicated VMware server for a couple of users working on some drawing cad software. my ida was to build a ROG ASUS with I9 Skylake 14 Core CPU wirth ASUS ROG STRIX X299 mainboard. my question is: is it possible to run the VMs with dedicated graphics card ? im planning to mount a dedicated RTX 2070 for each user meaning 2 users going to use the machine by RDP or does someone have a better idea?  Citrix is a No Go. 

Hope someone has an idea :)

I dont think RDP will work for anything requiring 3D GPU acceleration, I know some things just wont work, like the slicing software I use for my 3d Printer.

13 minutes ago, Per Borup Sorensen said:

havent bought it yet so yes might be an idea thanks :) but how about the GPU ? 

what version? With esxi you can do gpu passthrough.

Why x299? Id look at xeons here and probably a premade server

If you want multiple users per gpu you need a progpu like a radeon instinct or a tesla.

THe dual 2070's should work, but there are many issues with gpu passthough as its not offically supported with consumer cards.

You can roll something like the Nvidia grid if you need a single card that can dedicate individual instances across multiple vms.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

There isn't a cheap way to do this using VMware, Hyper-V allows sharing of GPUs and does not require specific special GPUs and drivers but it's not perfect either. Small user deployments are usually always cheaper to just use multiple dedicated workstations, and less risk too.

15 hours ago, leadeater said:

There isn't a cheap way to do this using VMware, Hyper-V allows sharing of GPUs and does not require specific special GPUs and drivers but it's not perfect either. Small user deployments are usually always cheaper to just use multiple dedicated workstations, and less risk too.

just saying remote fx is getting taken out, so i wouldn't plan on it. You can't make a vm with remote fx in 1809, but it will run vms with remote fx already.

MIcrosoft also wants to move the vgpu and the amd mxgpu instead of their remotefx it seems, and you need the certified gpus for that.

4 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

just saying remote fx is getting taken out, so i wouldn't plan on it. You can't make a vm with remote fx in 1809, but it will run vms with remote fx already.

MIcrosoft also wants to move the vgpu and the amd mxgpu instead of their remotefx it seems, and you need the certified gpus for that.

Not surprised, RemoteFX was very hit and miss, mostly miss.

On 11/1/2018 at 7:59 AM, Snipergod87 said:

I dont think RDP will work for anything requiring 3D GPU acceleration, I know some things just wont work, like the slicing software I use for my 3d Printer.

so long as the GPU is passed through the virtual machine, 3D GPU acceleration should work so long as the 3D application uses the GPU instead of the RemoteFX one

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N