Worried about pin out on psu

Altruist

So i watched a video on how to custom sleeve, and i understood everything except the bit about pin out and that i have to careful where i plug the cables in on each end or i could destroy my compents :(

Skip to 3:41

I may be wrong.

Just now, Altruist said:

So i watched a video on how to custom sleeve, and i understood everything except the bit about pin out and that i have to careful where i plug the cables in on each end or i could destroy my compents :(

Skip to 3:41

It would be pretty hard to screw up wiring the pin outs, don't you just have to make a straight line between the connector on the PSU and the output connector for that spot?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, Streetguru said:

It would be pretty hard to screw up wiring the pin outs, don't you just have to make a straight line between the connector on the PSU and the output connector for that spot?

Exactly what i think, im gonna annoyed at myself if thats it.

I may be wrong.

4 minutes ago, Altruist said:

pin out

All connectors that connect to your MB are standard pinouts.

The prob lies with the connectors to the PSU.

They are proprietary and are different among manufacturers and are even different among models.

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

Just now, wONKEyeYEs said:

All connectors that connect to your MB are standard pinouts.

The prob lies with the connectors to the PSU.

They are proprietary and are different among manufacturers and are even different among models.

Right but if i make sure the cable on the device goes into the same hole on the psu side ( straight line ) shouldn't it be fine or am i still wrong?

I may be wrong.

to be honest getting the pinout right is pretty basic, if you feel like it's going to go wrong you probably should stay away from making your own cables.

on that note, just organised working, note taking, and properly marking your wires while assembling makes chance for error pretty low.

and if you want to be absolutely sure.. get a cheapo multimeter (doesnt need to be X decimals accurate for this..) and measure the output result of your cables, compared to diagrams of what they should be.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

to be honest getting the pinout right is pretty basic, if you feel like it's going to go wrong you probably should stay away from making your own cables.

on that note, just organised working, note taking, and properly marking your wires while assembling makes chance for error pretty low.

and if you want to be absolutely sure.. get a cheapo multimeter (doesnt need to be X decimals accurate for this..) and measure the output result of your cables, compared to diagrams of what they should be.

10 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

on't you just have to make a straight line between the connector on the PSU and the output connector for that spot?

I may be wrong.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

11 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

don't you just have to make a straight line between the connector on the PSU and the output connector for that spot?

this simply?

and where can i find diagrams?

I may be wrong.

Just now, Altruist said:

this simply?

the output side is easy, google's full of diagrams of 24-pin ATX connectors, 4 and 8 pin CPU connectors, and 6 and 8pin PCIe connectors.

the side of the power supply.. to be honest with you.. i'd either look at the cables if it came with ketchup and mustard cables, or use a cheap meter to measure it out. because for some odd reason power supply manufacturers just cant agree on a sensible standard.

like i said, if you're not comfortable doing this i'd recommend you not to. but all in all, it's really easy if you keep your mind at it.

16 minutes ago, Altruist said:

this simply?

Assuming you have a fully modular PSU just make a copy of the existing PSU cable

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Assuming you have a fully modular PSU just make a copy of the existing PSU cable

semi modular

I may be wrong.

4 minutes ago, Altruist said:

semi modular

Are you just covering up the 24 pin and CPU 8 pin?

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Are you just covering up the 24 pin and CPU 8 pin?

no im buying the straight power 11 and sleeving all cables

making my own cables then sleeving those.

I may be wrong.

54 minutes ago, Altruist said:

Right but if i make sure the cable on the device goes into the same hole on the psu side ( straight line ) shouldn't it be fine or am i still wrong?

Nope. Sometimes the cables twist on their way to the PSU and aren't in a straight line. Some PSUs also use more pins on the PSU than on the connector side - for example the PSU has a 28pin slot for the motherboard 24pin cable.

38 minutes ago, Altruist said:

no im buying the straight power 11 and sleeving all cables

making my own cables then sleeving those.

How are you going to sleeve the soldered cables? If you don't have the PSU yet buy a fully modular one

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

How are you going to sleeve the soldered cables? If you don't have the PSU yet buy a fully modular one

The Straight Power 11 is fully modular. I believe it's currently the only fully modular PSU in Be Quiet's lineup. 

:)