9th gen chip on a z370 board?

mxk

I've finally settled on the ASRock extreme4 paired w/ an 8600k. Just one last thing for the future, how would I go about making sure a 9th gen chip works with my z370? I've heard it was a bios update, so would I update the bios while I have my 8th gen chip in, then put the 9th gen chip in? Or is there something I'm missing

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

4 minutes ago, mxk. said:

I've finally settled on the ASRock extreme4 paired w/ an 8600k. Just one last thing for the future, how would I go about making sure a 9th gen chip works with my z370? I've heard it was a bios update, so would I update the bios while I have my 8th gen chip in, then put the 9th gen chip in? Or is there something I'm missing

That is correct you would update the bios with the 8600k in then pop the 9th gen chip in and everything should work.

Don't get a z370 if you plan on getting an 9th gen down the line. Some z390 boards cause the i7 and i9 to power throttle and the z370 absolutely cripples their performance due to power limitations. 

17 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Don't get a z370 if you plan on getting an 9th gen down the line. Some z390 boards cause the i7 and i9 to power throttle and the z370 absolutely cripples their performance due to power limitations. 

Depends on the board's VRM, some Z370 are more than capable enough.

CPU: i5 10600KFMotherboard: Asus B460M-Plus | Cooling: Gamemmaxx 400 XT w/ Corsair ML120 Elite + 1 ML120 Elite exhaust + 2 ML140 Elite intake

RAM: 2x16GB Netac DDR4 3200MT/s @2666CL13 | GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual +200/+1200MHz/+5%

Storage: 2TB XPG S70 Blade, WD Blue NVMe 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TBPSU: Corsair TX550M

Monitor: 2x Pichau Cepheus Fuse 28" 4k 144Hz HDR | Keyboard: Corsair K70 mk.2 Cherry MX Red

Headphone/headset: Kuba Disco Pro/Gamer + Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro | OS: Windows 11 Home

Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB + Ugreen Vertical MouseCase: Corsair Carbide 400C

27 minutes ago, Vasllo said:

It's not just the VRM. It's bios issues and software issues. It's just a mess and not worth it. The 9th gen cpus are bad anyways the. 

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

It's not just the VRM. It's bios issues and software issues. It's just a mess and not worth it. The 9th gen cpus are bad anyways the. 

The OP has an 8600k he can use to update the BIOS. And what software issues can a MOBO have? I agree that Intel is not a good buy rn, but since he already has everything, a CPU swap is better than a platform upgrade, and he's talking about future updates.

CPU: i5 10600KFMotherboard: Asus B460M-Plus | Cooling: Gamemmaxx 400 XT w/ Corsair ML120 Elite + 1 ML120 Elite exhaust + 2 ML140 Elite intake

RAM: 2x16GB Netac DDR4 3200MT/s @2666CL13 | GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual +200/+1200MHz/+5%

Storage: 2TB XPG S70 Blade, WD Blue NVMe 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TBPSU: Corsair TX550M

Monitor: 2x Pichau Cepheus Fuse 28" 4k 144Hz HDR | Keyboard: Corsair K70 mk.2 Cherry MX Red

Headphone/headset: Kuba Disco Pro/Gamer + Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro | OS: Windows 11 Home

Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB + Ugreen Vertical MouseCase: Corsair Carbide 400C

1 minute ago, Vasllo said:

The OP has an 8600k he can use to update the BIOS. And what software issues can a MOBO have? I agree that Intel is not a good buy rn, but since he already has everything, a CPU swap is better than a platform upgrade, and he's talking about future updates.

whew you understood what I said.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

51 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

The ASRock Extreme4 is supposed to be a good board, if I want to do crazy overclocking in the future AFTER I upgrade to a 9700k i'll buy a better board. If I can do some light oc'ing on my z370 to hold off upgrading the mobo for a little longer I will

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

Do you really see yourself upgrading from 8th to 9th?

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

19 minutes ago, Velcade said:

from an 8600k to a 9700k, possibly. Not a 8600k to a 9600k that would be fucking stupid

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

29 minutes ago, Velcade said:

unless my chip is the part of the wafer that the intel ceo nutted on or something and I hit 5.4ghz ill probably upgrade in the future

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

40 minutes ago, Vasllo said:

I'm not talking about the bios not allowing to post. I am talking about the bios not working well with the 9th series cpus which is part of why they power throttle. 

11 minutes ago, mxk. said:

from an 8600k to a 9700k, possibly. Not a 8600k to a 9600k that would be fucking stupid

Honestly the 8700k is basically the same as the 9700k. 

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly the 8700k is basically the same as the 9700k. 

You're not wrong, but If I have the option to upgrade and theres a jump from an i5 to an i7 and both the 9700k and 8700k are about the same price I'll probably go with the 9700k

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

33 minutes ago, mxk. said:

unless my chip is the part of the wafer that the intel ceo nutted on or something and I hit 5.4ghz ill probably upgrade in the future

My point is you'll probably upgrade to 10th gen or something and the motherboard won't be compatible.  Very rarely do people upgrade to every gen.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

4 hours ago, Velcade said:

My point is you'll probably upgrade to 10th gen or something and the motherboard won't be compatible.  Very rarely do people upgrade to every gen.

It's just an idea right now to be honest, I did take into account what you're saying. If Intel goes full retard again and there isn't a big performance jump to 10th gen and 9/8th is priced well then I'll probably go with that

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

8 hours ago, Vasllo said:

Thats correct. Lucky for him, the Z370 Extreme 4 has actually really good VRMs, pretty capable of the new Gen CPUs.

1 hour ago, lukart said:

Thats correct. Lucky for him, the Z370 Extreme 4 has actually really good VRMs, pretty capable of the new Gen CPUs.

That's why I chose it :)))

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra