Second graphics card for 4k 60hz HDR

Go to solution Solved by GoldenLag,
Just now, Roryjj said:

Thank you, yeah I was reading off of a 2 year old post with that info aha. 
I don't really care for gaming technologies and neither of them are faster than my current card. 
So they'd both work just fine put into the second slot on my mother board? 

pretty much. though dont try running crossfire between the rx 550 and R9 even though i believe you can. 

yup, they will work fine. 

Hey folks,
Just bought a 50" 4K 60hz TV with HDR from TCL and found out that my R9 390 only supports HDMI 1.4 (4k at 30hz) 
What would be the cheapest route to getting HDMI 2.0 support?

Currently my best option is the GTX 1050 https://www.computeralliance.com.au/gigabyte-gtx1050-2gb-oc-low-profile-pcie-video-card-pn-gv-n1050oc-2gl?s=0&gclid=CjwKCAjwpeXeBRA6EiwAyoJPKmk1iXy6hWeYqK_KF0Ykjaur4AEobZwxYzYsZ0VKL4CqboGxS0p7JBoCLmsQAvD_BwE
Could I add this card to my system (with the 390 in the main slot) and run the 4K TV off of it?  

Current specs
Motherboard H97M-G43 https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/H97M-G43/Specification
GPU R9 390 Sapphire http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdetial.asp?pid=FF539E23-7718-4BDE-9E02-CF174D2BFCC2&lang=eng
CPU Xeon E3 1231v3 https://ark.intel.com/products/80910/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1231-v3-8M-Cache-3-40-GHz-

entry rx 550 or gt1030 is enough........

id get the rx 550 because of freesync that is becomming popular on TVs

Just now, GoldenLag said:

entry rx 550 or gt1030 is enough........

id get the rx 550 because of freesync that is becomming popular on TVs

I don't really care for gaming technologies and neither of them are faster than my current card. 

Just now, Roryjj said:

pretty much. though dont try running crossfire between the rx 550 and R9 even though i believe you can. 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

Thank you for your time! :D 

Yeah, you don't need to buy a new GPU just to get 60hz 4K. Displayport is capable of it already. I am using a 290 with 4k 60hz right now.

All you need is an adapter to convert DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0. Like this: https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-DisplayPort-Supports-displays-3840x2160/dp/B00S0C7QO8

It cost a bit more than a normal adapter but still 10x less than a new GPU which is much worse at gaming than the one you already have.

Gaming Rig:CPU: Xeon E3-1230 v2¦RAM: 16GB DDR3 Balistix 1600Mhz¦MB: MSI Z77A-G43¦HDD: 480GB SSD, 3.5TB HDDs¦GPU: AMD Radeon VII¦PSU: FSP 700W¦Case: Carbide 300R

23 minutes ago, Madgemade said:

Yeah, you don't need to buy a new GPU just to get 60hz 4K. Displayport is capable of it already. I am using a 290 with 4k 60hz right now.

All you need is an adapter to convert DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0. Like this: https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-DisplayPort-Supports-displays-3840x2160/dp/B00S0C7QO8

It cost a bit more than a normal adapter but still 10x less than a new GPU which is much worse at gaming than the one you already have.

HDR is not supported on the 290

36 minutes ago, PopyFX said:

HDR is not supported on the 290

10 bit color is but not HDR.

QAPJVEI.png

However I don't know for sure if it will be supported over an adapter to HDMI 2.0. It says HDR in the description so I would think so. If not it can always be returned for a full refund.

Gaming Rig:CPU: Xeon E3-1230 v2¦RAM: 16GB DDR3 Balistix 1600Mhz¦MB: MSI Z77A-G43¦HDD: 480GB SSD, 3.5TB HDDs¦GPU: AMD Radeon VII¦PSU: FSP 700W¦Case: Carbide 300R

5 minutes ago, Madgemade said:

It is supported. I'm using 10 bit color right now.

QAPJVEI.png

However I don't know for sure if it will be supported over an adapter to HDMI 2.0. It says HDR in the description so I would think so. If not it can always be returned for a full refund.

my source: 

at 2:36min

If Linus says it then game over I guess. Looks like my drivers are bugged then (no surprise from AMD) and HDR is in fact not supported.

If I look on my monitor it shows as off so I guess the only option is to buy a Gt 1030 for $100 to get HDR. Whether it's worth it though?

21 minutes ago, Madgemade said:

If Linus says it then game over I guess. Looks like my drivers are bugged then (no surprise from AMD) and HDR is in fact not supported.

If I look on my monitor it shows as off so I guess the only option is to buy a Gt 1030 for $100 to get HDR. Whether it's worth it though?

in my opinion he should sell the 290 and should get a rx 580.