27" 1440p - How Bad/Noticeable are 1 or 2 Bad Pixels?

NamelessTed

I have been interested in purchasing a korean import monitor for a while now. I ended up buying new headphones and a tablet recently so I have to save up for a monitor again but have found a couple of sale and am wondering if it might be worth purchasing. There are two available online, listed between $230-260. Both monitors are listed as having one dead pixel and one bright pixel each. I am just wondering how bad or noticeable these bad pixels might be. I primarily am going to be playing games and watching videos on the display but will also be using it for general web browsing.

In my head I know the answer is to just wait a bit longer to afford a new monitor that shouldn't have any dead pixels. But if having just two bad pixels isn't very noticeable then I might just go with the cheaper option to get a new monitor sooner and then maybe grab another one 6 months down the road or so and use the "bad" monitor as my secondary.

If it was me, and I knew they were there, I'd constantly be focusing on them.

I like knowing the items I buy are the companies best effort, not the panels they consider unfit for their own products.
But that's just me. Lots are happy with them and can live with their quirks.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

i think that you will kick yourself after a while 

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

It's like when you just found out that your phone has a scratch. Now everytime you look at your screen, you see it.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

It's like when you just found out that your phone has a scratch. Now everytime you look at your screen, you see it.

thats a perfect way to put it, I have a scratch on my phone and I can't un see it

I am a happy wuffy

thats a perfect way to put it, I have a scratch on my phone and I can't un see it

Yup, sadly spoken from personal experience :(. I bought my Galaxy Nexus used and at the time, when I was shown the screen, I saw no scratches at all. Note that I've never kept keys in my pocket with my phone or dropped it, BUT a couple months after, I saw this tiny ass chip in the screen. From then on, it just annoyed me to no ends...

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

There are some Korean monitors with pixel perfect guarantees, Logan from Teksyndicate had nothing but goods things to say about his Korean ones. I couldn't bring myself to do it and I got an ASUS monitor. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

There are some Korean monitors with pixel perfect guarantees, Logan from Teksyndicate had nothing but goods things to say about his Korean ones. I couldn't bring myself to do it and I got an ASUS monitor. 

They may be pixel perfect, but they usually suffer from backlight bleeding, or other defects. They're not A stock panels.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Well if you are able to erase you memory every time you see that dead pixel then sure, but in your mind somewhere its gonna be there and you can never forgot.

Spoiler

They may be pixel perfect, but they usually suffer from backlight bleeding, or other defects. They're not A stock panels.

Even Asus and dell monitors suffer from black  light bleed. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Even Asus and dell monitors suffer from black  light bleed. 

Yes, so imagine how bad it'll be on the panels they didn't see fit to use.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

It all depends on the type of pixel anomaly.

dead pixels are not that noticeable, and are only really visible (and you need to look for them) on white or black screens - depending if it is stuck alive or dead.

dead sub pixels are not that noticeable.

strip anomalies... very noticeable.

Yes, so imagine how bad it'll be on the panels they didn't see fit to use.

I have been under the impression that most of them at least the goods are LG apple cinema rejects, not rejects from ASUS. I would also expect that apple has zero tolerance for panels with the smallest imperfection as they sell for $1000 and that ASUS may not have as great of concern as there monitors sell for $550. 

Spoiler

I have been under the impression that most of them at least the goods are LG apple cinema rejects, not rejects from ASUS. I would also expect that apple has zero tolerance for panels with the smallest imperfection as they sell for $1000 and that ASUS may not have as great of concern as there monitors sell for $550. 

That is a good point.

I still prefer the housings the other companies have though. I've read that even the VESA mounts aren't properly drilled in a lot of the Korean displays and can't be used. I use the height adjustment often, as well as the tilt.

As I said though, some can deal with the quirks. I'd rather pay more and get something of better quality. Each to their own.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

I have one dead pixel in my korean 1440p display, I hardly notice it in games and I still love the screen. When the screen is all white it is noticeable but I can live with it..

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

Yes but for that reason you are not paying close to double the price. I think the small defects aren't a deal breaker as you still get an amazing picture quality.

by the way, if you are going to buy one of the korean monitors, the "pixel perfect" doesn't have much evidence to support that you actually have less of a chance of dead pixel, so I recommend you save some of your money and buy non pixel perfect

Yes but for that reason you are not paying close to double the price. I think the small defects aren't a deal breaker as you still get an amazing picture quality.

by the way, if you are going to buy one of the korean monitors, the "pixel perfect" doesn't have much evidence to support that you actually have less of a chance of dead pixel, so I recommend you save some of your money and buy non pixel perfect

True! Pixel Perfect I think is what, 1-2 dead pixels and the other one is 3-5 dead pixels?

Yeah, I also like the stands a whole lot more. But I actually use the features they have so I may be in the minority there.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Yup, sadly spoken from personal experience :(. I bought my Galaxy Nexus used and at the time, when I was shown the screen, I saw no scratches at all. Note that I've never kept keys in my pocket with my phone or dropped it, BUT a couple months after, I saw this tiny ass chip in the screen. From then on, it just annoyed me to no ends...

I dropped my ipod touch awhile back, i've dropped it 2130499102342134091324 times in the past, but the one time I drop it on concrete, it landed screen first -.-

Smashed the entire screen but it still works so I've been to lazy to pay 60$ to fix it lol

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Depends on the level of your OCD. Or on your level of optimism vs pessimism. For example : an optimist would say: " Though I have a few dead pixels on my monitor I still have more pixels alive then on my 1080p screen" A pessimist would cry. A person with serious OCD like me would go nuts.  :D

"Play the course as you find it. Play the Ball as it lies. And if you can't do either, do what's fair."

I have a qnix 1440p monitor. It has two dead pixels near the left center and top, I can't notice them at all :)

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

yep ^ that. I've got a monoprice 1440p with 1 pixel stuck on green, can only notice it if its a completely black screen and I'm looking for it.

Don't know about dead pixels, but when I bought my current monitor it had a stucka pixel, right in the middle of the monitor, it was RED!!! =P  Fortunaltely it disappeared after a little a while, apparantly it happens sometimes with new monitors.

My two cents, I would have sold that monitor at great loss, raher than have one red pixel, right smack in the middle of the screen =)

The pixels are so damn small @ 1440p that if its a dark pixel you will never see it during use, unless u like staring for hours at full screen bright red pictures. As for backlight bleed, I have more issues with general lighting in my room and dirt on my glasses than I do with the backlight bleed, its only really noticeable with full black (and lit) images, during any form of lit gameplay its unoticable.

• 2 weeks later...

So I ordered the display and have been using it for a few days now, almost a week. I have to say that I am extremely happy with the purchase. For $250 I got an x-Star that is in absolutely amazing condition compared to what I thought I was getting. The monitor was reported as having a dead pixel in the middle sector, and a bright pixel in the right center sector. I have gotten close and really looked for them using solid colors on screen and can't find a bad dot anywhere. As far as backlight bleed goes there is a bit in the top left corner but i had to turn off the lights in my room and put a solid black screen up to see it easily. It isn't that bad, IMO. In darker scenes I can see it if I look for it but it doesn't stick out.

All in all I feel like I got a great deal on this thing. I was expecting a couple of bad pixels and moderate backlight bleed and got a panel with no noticeable bad pixels and only slight backlight bleed. I am still getting used to the increased pixel density. It is just ridiculous how much screen real estate this thing offers. I definitely need to get Skyrim reinstalled with a few mods and lose another 100 hours of my life.