GTX 1080 or RTX 2070?

john_connerson

I'm looking to spend roughly $500 US on a new graphics card and I'm curious about which one I should get. I'm leaning towards the RTX 2070 because it's newer and may have better longevity as a result. 

Also, are there any models of the 1080 or 2070 I should definitely avoid purchasing?

1 minute ago, john_connerson said:

are there any models of the 1080 or 2070 I should definitely avoid purchasing?

Zotac Amp! Extreme, MSI Armor.

2 minutes ago, john_connerson said:

I'm looking to spend roughly $500 US on a new graphics card and I'm curious about which one I should get. I'm leaning towards the RTX 2070 because it's newer and may have better longevity as a result.

If you're lucky on Ebay, you could grab two 1080s for that price used. 2070 is a decent card, used 1080 or 1080Ti is gonna be way better price/performance.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Is the 1080ti not down to $500 yet?

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

-Threads merged-

Please refrain from reposting content.

Sorry, my internet was crapping out while I was posting. 

And I'm just very hesitant towards buying used electronics, especially ones that cost hundreds of dollars (been burned more than once). So I'd prefer the security of buying something brand new.

6 minutes ago, john_connerson said:

Sorry, my internet was crapping out while I was posting. 

And I'm just very hesitant towards buying used electronics, especially ones that cost hundreds of dollars (been burned more than once). So I'd prefer the security of buying something brand new.

As @Crunchy Dragon said, whichever is the cheapest, the 2070 is about 5% faster, give or take. And as he also said, avoid at all cost MSI Armor and Amp! Extreme. The Armor is only worth if you plan on watercooling it, because the PCB is good (same as Gaming X AFAIK), but the cooler is crap.

CPU: i5 10600KFMotherboard: Asus B460M-Plus | Cooling: Gamemmaxx 400 XT w/ Corsair ML120 Elite + 1 ML120 Elite exhaust + 2 ML140 Elite intake

RAM: 2x16GB Netac DDR4 3200MT/s @2666CL13 | GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual +200/+1200MHz/+5%

Storage: 2TB XPG S70 Blade, WD Blue NVMe 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TBPSU: Corsair TX550M

Monitor: 2x Pichau Cepheus Fuse 28" 4k 144Hz HDR | Keyboard: Corsair K70 mk.2 Cherry MX Red

Headphone/headset: Kuba Disco Pro/Gamer + Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro | OS: Windows 11 Home

Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB + Ugreen Vertical MouseCase: Corsair Carbide 400C