About comments 2 Chinese Smartphones

SkyTeam_DiyaChino

Dear Linus,

I'm a Chinese fans & love to watch your videos on Bilibili.Your videos have great quality,and we are happy to watch them.

But some videos about Chinese smartphone are unfair,these smartphones are based on Chinese customers' habits.You are better not to judge only from the Western customers' angle.

And about the latest video about iPhone,NOT every user agree with you(e.g. Airdrop) due to their countries' situations(For example,the number of Mac user in China including Taiwan,HK & Macau).

Last but not the least,please cover the flag of what you called "The Repubilc of China"(In fact,Taiwan Province) with mosaic In order to accord with the video regulations in China, which is the rigid requirements for video publishing.

Look forward to your reply.

@LinusTech @CPotter

2 minutes ago, SkyTeam_DiyaChino said:

please cover the flag of what you called "The Repubilc of China"(In fact,Taiwan Province) with mosaic In order to accord with the video regulations in China, which is the rigid requirements for video publishing.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

Kind of hard to judge a phone from another countries angle, when it's not an angle he's used to or partakes in, no?

It makes more sense for him to cover phones in this way because that's what the vast percentage of his audience is.

Maybe if they come out with an LTT China branch, that will change, until then, it just doesn't make sense.

Welcome to the forum!

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

it would make better sense for a Chinese national to review the Chinese phones in a Chinese market, no?

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

The way he judges products (not just phones) not meant to be sold in western countries seems to be from the perspective of a westerner so I guess that'll always have something to do with the way they review them.

29 minutes ago, SkyTeam_DiyaChino said:

But some videos about Chinese smartphone are unfair,these smartphones are based on Chinese customers' habits.You are better not to judge only from the Western customers' angle.

LTT is for Westerners, so, you know, it makes sense to judge them from Westerners' view.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Frankly, Chinese phones aren't all that different from others. Had Huawei P7 and currently on Xiaomi Mi5. One thing is for sure, Chinese like iPhone-ish launcher style with apps listed directly on screens and not with separate launcher. And they like launcher to provide tons of features out of the box and be all cheerful and colorful. They also have a nasty habit of making things be there, but rarely ever truly polished. For example the weather app on Xiaomi. It used to have location service based weather which automatically switched cities. Then along the way it was a bit broken and then they just removed "Automatic" mode entirely. Or the Security Center which refused to auto update antivirus unless you were on WiFi. Or the Syncing which again relies on WiFi like mad. I have a feeling China has like super expensive data plans and everyone there is sticking on WiFi. I have 20GB a month with 3000 minutes and 3000 SMS for 10€. I can't even be bothered to switch to WiFi because data plan is so cheap.

he is trying to figure out of its a good device from his perspecitve, which is a western one because Canada, not an asian one

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 hours ago, SkyTeam_DiyaChino said:

please cover the flag of what you called "The Repubilc of China"(In fact,Taiwan Province) with mosaic In order to accord with the video regulations in China, 

I kind of doubt he would cover things up to meet Chinese regulations. . . 

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

4 hours ago, SkyTeam_DiyaChino said:

How does Westener judge from perspective of Eastern? Or North American in perspective or South American, European, African or Asian? They don't. If you want perspective for your locality, you watch videos made by those who are familiar of the situation. Thats how things work.

There's also another thought. If products are sent to Linus for review, he always gets letter from rep. Detailing what product is about, its purposes, why its built and for who. Things that company wants to bring up and clear up. If the rep has written letter as if these phones would come to sale in NA customers, then they would bring up stuff that is interesting in westerners perspective. So if he misses reasons why something is so popular on other areas, thats not entirely his fault.

You can try and come up with reasonable review of something which is made for westerner audience mainly. Something which isn't global brand like iPhone. You see how hard it is not to take Chinese side of things vs more broad view. As you don't really know why someone living in UK or Canada would like features device has.

And about the latest video about iPhone,NOT every user agree with you(e.g. Airdrop) due to their countries' situations(For example,the number of Mac user in China including Taiwan,HK & Macau).

He did that based on user comments on these forums. So majority of people who replied. It was the over-positive version compared to previous rant he had. You should learn to watch things with critical eye (while trying to keep that talent hidden from your goverment, if possible. We don't want to get you in trouble). In latest iPhone video Linus talks so much shit about why Apple is good. Like embracing monopoly of one OS. Also embracing iTunes and app installations being locked when talking about Fortnite. Such a stupid point (as if Apple doesn't take their share of every purchase made through iTunes like Google does with Play Store).

Last but not the least,please cover the flag of what you called "The Repubilc of China"(In fact,Taiwan Province) with mosaic In order to accord with the video regulations in China, which is the rigid requirements for video publishing.

Look forward to your reply.

I think they could make another version for Chinese markets. There are only handful of nations in the world who agree with China on that point. I don't think Taiwanese are among them.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Reviewers can only give their testimony on the product.  That's their unique perspective on it.  So of course he will have a Canadian perspective, which to us Westerners isn't Westerner.  Its...that place North of 'Murica tyvm.

;)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

5 hours ago, SkyTeam_DiyaChino said:

these smartphones are based on Chinese customers' habits

it is a different culture, but Linus is Canadian and wants to appeal to his demographic area, hence click bait.

Glad to see that we have such a globalized audience and community.

But a globalized perspective cannot substitute a reviewer's own perspective towards a specific product. There's no way and also no need for Linus to appease everyone in one single review. It's also such kind of review that promotes (sometimes positive) debate among his diverse viewer base across the world to further reflect and truly understand the pros and cons of the product in question.

Nevertheless, Linus did provided interesting takes on the Chinese phones recently. Also, get this: the purchasing decision you made ultimately affects you. You do not have to take his word for it, you should just try it yourself to see if you like, if you can.

He did admit the original iPhone video was a bit too emotional so he made a proper follow-up, based on user response from forums. Since majority rules, those minuscule and miscellaneous occurrence when something does not work well is irrelevant. I highly suggest you to go back and see the thread of the discussion to see if you miss anything.

And finally, I understand the sensitivity of the geopolitical issues on both sides, and again, there's no way to appease everyone, so just let it be.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

Well, Linus is Canadian 

And many of the LTT audience tend to be based from the Western side of the world. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

35 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

based

that is the key word right there.

no more to say then that

also yes Linus is Canadian and out of greater vancouver area