Pc unable to boot because of secondary HDD is corrupt.

ruchir_ezio

So recently one of my oldest HDDs in my pc got corrupt, I've been trying to recover some data from it so when I plugged it in my pc used to get stuck on an automatic repair, it took a couple hours to do that, but after that windows repair, my pc is stuck on a boot loop, shows automatic repair and then as windows is loading up the pc crashes. On the other hand the pc boots normally when I plug out that HDD. How do I retrieve my files now?

IMG_20181030_173309.jpg

IMG_20181030_173214.jpg

1 hour ago, sillypenguin213 said:

Do you have sata to USB adapter?

Yes, I also tried connecting it externally, the pc doesn't read the drive, same thing happened on my laptop as well

It seems the drive has heavy physical issues. Since your computers can't read it, you may need to send it to a data recovery office.

47 minutes ago, Yvette222 said:

It seems the drive has heavy physical issues. Since your computers can't read it, you may need to send it to a data recovery office.

Isn't there any other way around it?

18 hours ago, ruchir_ezio said:

Yes, I also tried connecting it externally, the pc doesn't read the drive, same thing happened on my laptop as well

Does it show up in your BIOS menu? And when using the USB-Sata adapter, does it show up in the USB boot section ?

Did you remember to initalize the drive in Disk Manager? If you plug in an internal drive that's already formatted to another PC you often need to initialize and give it a path (C : D : E : etc)  since the one it had before is likely already taken. 

My rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 3.6Ghz, OC'ed to 4.2Ghz all core @ 1.25v + Corsair H60 120mm AIO

MB: Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi

RAM: Kingston Fury Beast RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3600mhz CL16 (1-to-1 Infinity Fabric enabled)

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super

*bought for $200 CAD off a friend who needed an RTX 3080, price was my reward.

CASE: InWinn A1 Plus in White with included 600w gold sfx PSU and included custom length cables

DISPLAY: 3x 20" AOC 1080p 60hz 4ms ,  32" RCA 1080p/60hz TV mounted above, all on a single arm.

Storage: C : 1TB WD Blue NVMe      D : 2TB Barracuda      E: 240GB Kingston V300 (scratch drive)

NAS: 240GB Kingston A400 + 6x 10+ year old 700GB Barracuda drives in my old FX8350+8GB DDR3 system

Logitech G15 1st Gen + Logitech G602 Wireless

Steam Controller +  Elite Series 2 controller + Logitech G29 Racing Wheel + Wingman Extreme Digital 3D Flight Stick

Sennheiser HD 4.40 Headphones + Pixel Buds 2 + Logitech Z213 2.1 Speakers

My Girlfriends Weeb-Ass Rig:

Razer Blade Pro 17 2020

10th Gen i7 10875H 8c/16t @5.1ghz 

17.3" 1080p 300Hz 100% sRGB, factory calibrated, 6mm bezel

RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB

512GB generic NVMe

16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz

Wireless-AX201 (802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax), Bluetooth® 5.1, 2.5Gbit Ethernet

70.5 Whr Battery

Razer Huntsman Quartz, Razer Balistic Quartz, Razer Kraken Quartz Kitty Heaphones

*deep breath*

Razer Raptor 27" monitor, IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

3 hours ago, Yvette222 said:

I plugged it in again using the usb adaptor, it seems that it isn't spinning, it ain't making any sounds 

1 hour ago, Chronified said:

Does it show up in your BIOS menu? And when using the USB-Sata adapter, does it show up in the USB boot section ?

Did you remember to initalize the drive in Disk Manager? If you plug in an internal drive that's already formatted to another PC you often need to initialize and give it a path (C : D : E : etc)  since the one it had before is likely already taken. 

It was showing up earlier on the boot menu, but windows wouldn't load up with the drive plugged in, once it did I checked in disk management it didn't show up but yes it did in bios (when connected internally)

AAHH, guys HELP! so I swapped the sata cables with the DVD writer, the pc turned on, I am logged in to windows, the screen has gone black and the pointer is active. What do I do now???? 

Ok so by the time I typed in the previous reply, this happened

IMG_20181031_151138.jpg

And yes it is showing up in BIOS

15409792104017728289635080728645.jpg

Umm should I try plugging in just this one drive and try installing windows directly on it and just retrieve my data off the drive? Would that work?

Ok so its an internal hard drive,  a usb adaptor wont work unless the adaptor has an external power source.  I believe, USB is limited to 5volts (I could be wrong)  in order to spin up the platters, it needs 12 volts.

If the drive is already unstable, attampting to make it read write large amounts of data could kill it.

Can you try using a different version of windows from a friends computer?  say windows 7,  or even xp?

I never liked those auto repair things M$ brought in as I dont know what its doing or what its changing... Given that your getting this error at boot leads me to believe that windows 10 is attempting to access the drive (for whatever reason) and cant,  kicking back this error.

You COULD try this...  but make sure your grounded to your case:

Plug in the data cable, internally,  wait to boot to windows, and THEN plug in the power...  I would go this route as it would help isolate your motherboard from a sudden draw...  that might work... It should show up as new hardware found...  go to device manager and see if its there.

The 3.5 hard drives are the 12 volts that require extra adapter (use an enclosure in that case), but the 2.5 drives can be connected via USB-SATA cables like this one as it can power the 5 volts required:

Resultado de imagen para usb to sata

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming