Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Case Fans . 4 Intake , 1 Exhaust vs 3 Intake 2 Exhaust

JoonKiat

Hi Everyone,

I have a nzxt kraken x62,AIO liquid cooler, mounted in the front of my case used as intake fans and 1 rear mounted exhaust fans.

I have 2 more fan slot on the top of the case. 

If i were to add more fans how should i position them? 

4 Intakes 1 Exhaust from the back?

3 Intakes 2 Exhaust ? 2 fans from the top 1 will be pushing air in while the other is pushing air out 

2 Intakes 3 Exhaust ? 1 exhaust from the back, and 2 from the top

Thanks

Positive pressure is probably best if you have dust filters.

And so intakes from front and bottom towards top and back. 2 in front,1 bot push conf. and 1 top 1 back in pull conf.

That also depends on positioning of you case, if you have enough room behind PC etc ...

Move AIO to top as exhaust, have 2 intake fans and set intakes blowing faster than AIO fans. Maybe filter rear, but you don't need fan there as it wouldn't change anything. AIO as intake is causing higher GPU temps than one as exhaust.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

10 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Move AIO to top as exhaust, have 2 intake fans and set intakes blowing faster than AIO fans. Maybe filter rear, but you don't need fan there as it wouldn't change anything. AIO as intake is causing higher GPU temps than one as exhaust.

i see. so meaning change rear to intake too?. looking to get a positive air pressure.

18 hours ago, Pozmol said:

Positive pressure is probably best if you have dust filters.

And so intakes from front and bottom towards top and back. 2 in front,1 bot push conf. and 1 top 1 back in pull conf.

That also depends on positioning of you case, if you have enough room behind PC etc ...

The back of my case is quite open. i do have dust filters just wondering how should i make it positive.  dont have a bottom case opening using a Thermaltake Versa J21 Tempered Glass Edition Mid Tower Chassis with a nzxt kraken x62

If you want better cooling, move the x62 to the top as exhaust and add new intake fans at the front. If you want fan recommendations, tell us where you're shopping / located and your budget.

1 hour ago, JoonKiat said:

i see. so meaning change rear to intake too?. looking to get a positive air pressure.

The only benefit of positive pressure is to reduce dust buildup when using filtered intakes. If you're using the rear as an intake, get an aftermarket filter. Leaving it as exhaust or empty is probably better though. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

5 hours ago, JoonKiat said:

Having it intake would not help for that. All air it would bring, would be straight out from top. Just leave it without fan and adjust intake fans to speed faster than exhausts.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 10/30/2018 at 6:09 PM, JoonKiat said:

Hi Everyone,

I have a nzxt kraken x62,AIO liquid cooler, mounted in the front of my case used as intake fans and 1 rear mounted exhaust fans.

I have 2 more fan slot on the top of the case. 

If i were to add more fans how should i position them? 

4 Intakes 1 Exhaust from the back?

3 Intakes 2 Exhaust ? 2 fans from the top 1 will be pushing air in while the other is pushing air out 

2 Intakes 3 Exhaust ? 1 exhaust from the back, and 2 from the top

Thanks

I hope this video will answer your concerns.. Enjoy..

5 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you want better cooling, move the x62 to the top as exhaust and add new intake fans at the front. 

17 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

How about this? He proved that front rad placement as intake gives the best balance temps overall..

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

2 hours ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

I hope this video will answer your concerns.. Enjoy..

How about this? He proved that front rad placement as intake gives the best balance temps overall..

I wouldn't use word "proved" there. He says right on beginning that this is just he's testing, and applies on that particular hardware and configuration. There are few things that could happened. Like having smaller case where rad is closer to GPU or the space between rad and card otherwise occupied. Also another open-style card could have different results. It is good test, and I would encourage to do own testing to find best results.

For this thread my points of having rad on top are rather based on what I've read over the years from forums as I'm air cooling guy. People with front placed rads have generally higher GPU temps than those who use top mounted.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

11 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I'm air cooling guy

Right.. I think that's where I will be going too.. Idk why I never get convinced and confenience to go liquid cooling..

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs: