Help me make decisions plz :)

RANDEAG

What should I get?   

9 members have voted

1. 1. What should I get?

• MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z + $100 DisplayPort to DVI Adapter + 8700k delid kit + liquid metal
    • MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z + A second 144Hz BenQ but with display port input
    • Other [comment?]

I can't decide.... I have pretty much exactly $850 to spend [+tax]

3 minutes ago, RANDEAG said:

Need more context in order to help you friend. It would depend on what you need.

$100 adapter o_O

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

2 minutes ago, Kiyometa said:

Need more context in order to help you friend. It would depend on what you need.

I need a 2070, but I also wanted to delid my cpu. Basically just wanted to see what other people would choose given the options. 

1 minute ago, RANDEAG said:

I need a 2070, but I also wanted to delid my cpu. Basically just wanted to see what other people would choose given the options. 

Well both of the options you have listed has a 2070. So then which is better for you? Do you need the extra speed that would result from delidding your CPU, or would the Monitor be better? Is it a quality of life thing? Do you need another monitor for productivity or is it just extra? What GPU do you have right now?

Delidding and liquid metal is like a few degrees, really monitor is a much better way to spend your money IMO. Really you might as well just get a 2080 unless you want another monitor. 

1 minute ago, Kiyometa said:

Well both of the options you have listed has a 2070. So then which is better for you? Do you need the extra speed that would result from delidding your CPU, or would the Monitor be better? Is it a quality of life thing? Do you need another monitor for productivity or is it just extra? What GPU do you have right now?

lol if I knew what was better, i wouldn't be askin!

I don't need the extra speed, just wanted to maximize my benchmarks. The monitor would be almost wasteful since I already have a 144Hz monitor, and would have an extra 144Hz that I wouldn't be using. I guess I could try to sell my old one though. It's much more quality of life than necessity, besides the video card. That upgrade is a must. Using a 750 ti atm. 

19 minutes ago, RANDEAG said:

So uhh... the 2070 has hdmi. HDMI to DVI-D is like a 5-15 dollar cable max, and foolproof. Displayport to DVI is a mess, requiring an active cable and lots of other messy things.

So do option 1, but buy an hdmi to dvi-d cable instead.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-HDMI-Output-Adapter-Cable/dp/B014I8UL8U/ref=asc_df_B014I8UL8U/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167141218295&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10740739950991302506&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9018721&hvtargid=pla-187910164619&psc=1

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Just get a better GPU then like a 2080. You can get a pretty cheap 2nd monitor which is a nice quality of life thing. I have a cheap $100 24" monitor as 2nd monitor.

I'm not an crazy overclocker so I think unless you are competing or the CPU is slowing you down in your productivity that delidding is not worth it. Delidding just to get better benchmark scores is silly.

Edited by Kiyometa
Added thoughts

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

So uhh... the 2070 has hdmi. HDMI to DVI-D is like a 5-15 dollar cable max, and foolproof. Displayport to DVI is a mess, requiring an active cable and lots of other messy things.

So do option 1, but buy an hdmi to dvi-d cable instead.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-HDMI-Output-Adapter-Cable/dp/B014I8UL8U/ref=asc_df_B014I8UL8U/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167141218295&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10740739950991302506&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9018721&hvtargid=pla-187910164619&psc=1

I don't think that supports 144Hz, does it? 

18 minutes ago, RANDEAG said:

You can get those adapters for like under $5...

Also go for the second monitor with a 2070 you have a better asset that way and you can always make your money back less people will want to buy a cpu thats been messed with. thats the way i would look at it. 

1 minute ago, Tz000 said:

You can get those adapters for like under $5...

Also go for the second monitor with a 2070 you have a better asset that way and you can always make your money back less people will want to buy a cpu thats been messed with. thats the way i would look at it. 

Needs to be dual link active adapter for 144hz 

true about the cpu tho

3 minutes ago, RANDEAG said:

I don't think that supports 144Hz, does it? 

Of course it does. HDMI (1.4) and DVI-D are literally pin-interchangable. Anything you can run with 144hz DVI-D you can run with the cable.

Heck, if you want to know something really amusing. Most DVI ports on graphics cards in the last 5 years aren't actually DVI. They are HDMI in the DVI form-factor. Thus when you use a DVI to HDMI passive cable, it even carries digital audio via hdmi.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

2 minutes ago, RANDEAG said:

Needs to be dual link active adapter for 144hz 

true about the cpu tho

Yes, but it is dual link. It doesn't need to be active.

image.png.806f756ed24ff59bc3c4b5fe89b30874.png

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Just now, Curufinwe_wins said:

Of course it does. HDMI (1.4) and DVI are literally pin-interchangable. Anything you can run with 144hz DVI you can run with the cable.

Heck, if you want to know something really amusing. Most DVI ports on graphics cards in the last 5 years aren't actually DVI. They are HDMI in the DVI form-factor. Thus when you use a DVI to HDMI passive cable, it even carries digital audio via hdmi.

Well fooled me lol learn something new everyday..

cheers.

Just make sure the cable is rated for the requisite throughput to handle 144Hz, AKA if the one end is DVI-D, should be fine.

Double check though, I have been bamboozled in the past with those adapters.

Edited by Kiyometa
Added thoughts.

Just now, Curufinwe_wins said:

This isn't true.

What?! I've been looking at all this for over a week now and have never heard any alternative to it. Is there any sort of verification you have on HDMI supporting 144hz? All I can find are forum posts like this 
"No. Only DisplayPort can support that. It has been able to support that since 2009.

HDMI can only support 120Hz, and even then, only with version 1.4b or 2.0. the following chart shows what each version of HDMI can support, but it seems to show that 1.4a can do 120Hz which I have confirmed several times it cannot support."

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2776527/hdmi-cable-support-1080p-144hz.html

1 minute ago, Tz000 said:

Well fooled me lol learn something new everyday..

cheers.

Yep. I have a HTPC hooked up via 'DVI' on the rear of a measly Radeon 3450 to the TV via HDMI and the digital audio is crucial, since that PC has just crap onboard.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Yep. I have a HTPC hooked up via 'DVI' on the rear of a measly Radeon 3450 to the TV via HDMI and the digital audio is crucial, since that PC has just crap onboard.

Oh, didn't read below the ad in the middle. Thanks for the save. 

On 10/30/2018 at 12:20 AM, Curufinwe_wins said:

Of course it does. HDMI (1.4) and DVI-D are literally pin-interchangable. Anything you can run with 144hz DVI-D you can run with the cable.

Dude WTF....  Just got the exact cable you linked with my 2080 since I thought I wasn't gonna have to spend 100$ on an adapter, and it won't go past 60Hz....

Crazy how one confident dumbass can make a weeks worth of research go out the door..... I KNEW you were wrong...

..!.. Go fuck yourself

Read this or shut your mouth next time the topic is brought up
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-3675170/connect-120-display-construction.html#_=_

On 10/30/2018 at 12:21 AM, Curufinwe_wins said:

Yes, but it is dual link. It doesn't need to be active.

image.png.806f756ed24ff59bc3c4b5fe89b30874.png

Fucking moron.....

I really wanted to believe it...