Which Headset To Buy For Gaming?

adzygamer15

I was just curious about which headsets would be good for gaming. I currently have a Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma and I'm pretty sure it's broken so time to upgrade. I want a headset including a decent microphone. I was looking at the SteelSeries Arctis Pro Headset but are they reasonable for the price or could I purchase something better at a reasonable price. Any recommendations would be amazing, just a must is including a microphone and if possible send recommendations in Australia Price

HyperX Cloud 2 or SteelSeries Arctis 5

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

1 hour ago, bleedblue said:

1 hour ago, Slottr said:

Cloud 2's

what would be the best option?

Just now, adzygamer15 said:

what would be the best option?

I've been using the same pair of cloud 2's for the past 2 years, always worked perfectly. Mic sounds good and is super comfy.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

I've been using the same pair of cloud 2's for the past 2 years, always worked perfectly. Mic sounds good and is super comfy.

would they still be good for years to come even though the arctis 5's are newer?

3 minutes ago, adzygamer15 said:

would they still be good for years to come even though the arctis 5's are newer?

Like I said, I've been using the cloud 2's for like 2 years now- theyre just like new even after a LOT of use. Mic is detachable as well.

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

Like I said, I've been using the cloud 2's for like 2 years now- theyre just like new even after a LOT of use. Mic is detachable as well.

does the mic sound good for talking in games for communication? 

1 minute ago, adzygamer15 said:

does the mic sound good for talking in games for communication? 

It sounds pretty good, not tin canny or anything. 

8 minutes ago, Slottr said:

It sounds pretty good, not tin canny or anything. 

thanks! I'll watch some videos later on about the quality of mic but seems promising 

1 hour ago, Slottr said:

Cloud 2's

1 hour ago, bleedblue said:

Everyone saying cloud 2 but isn't the cloud alpha better for the same price? (msrp is the same and current price in europe where i live is the same)

44 minutes ago, ChernobilChuck said:

Everyone saying cloud 2 but isn't the cloud alpha better for the same price? (msrp is the same and current price in europe where i live is the same)

Personally havent used the alphas or plan to unless my clouds completely crap out - which I don't see happening anytime soon

Anything that doesn't assosiate with a company that makes gaming products. Possibly one that makes headphones. 

CPU: i7-5820k (4.7GHz/1.292V)                             RAM: Cruital Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4                                Case: NZXT H440 Razer Sound: SVS Ultra Bookshelves / SVS SB13-Ultra / Marantz SR7008

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3                                         Storage: Samsung 840 Evo (500GB)  + WD Black (1TB)    PSU: EVGA G2-1000        M/KB: Razer Ouroboros / Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 

Mobo: MSI X99S Sli Plus                                         GPU: EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid                                     OS: Windows 10               Monitor: BenQ XL2720Z / Asus PG348Q

Just buy nice headphones and a ModMic :) (Yeah yeah, its the company line) :D - Or really nice headphones and ANY mic. Why limit yourself to gaming headsets?

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!

My go-to recommendation for gaming is Sivga SV007 with V-MODA BoomPro.

Sound:
SV007 is a well-balanced, relatively neutral headphone. The sub-bass, which is how deep the bass goes and where rumble comes from, is a little subdued; the mid-bass, which is where boom and punch come from, is a little boosted; and the treble is slightly boosted. 
The bass doesn't sound muddy or distorted, and is clear. The midrange is clear, not tinny or muffled. The treble is clear, smooth and sparkly. By clear, I mean it's not washy or hazy. By smooth, I mean it's not sharp, harsh or splashy. And, by sparkly, I mean it's not dull. It's a very clear and natural sounding headphone for the price.
SV007 has a large (not huge) soundstage, which is the distance to sound; very good imaging, which is the direction of sound; and very good separation, which is how you discern individual sounds from a range of overlapping sounds. 
The detail retrieval is great. I can hear details such as the rustle of an opponent's uniform when they merely change their orientation; the flick when they switch to an underslung attachment such as 40 mm grenade launcher; when they swap firearms; when they reload; the arm movement and "uhh" utterance when they throw a motion sensor, and the impact of the motion sensor hitting the ground, wall or something else. And footsteps, of course.

Build quality and comfort:

SV007 has a sturdy and lightweight build with metal sliders, hinges, yokes and grilles. It has no flimsy or squeaky parts. The cups tilt and swivel, so they should adjust to your head without issues. The pads are plush and have a relatively high-quality coating. They don't make my ears warm or sweaty, and they fit around my ears without pressing them against the inside of the cups. The head band has great weight distribution and doesn't create hotspots on top of my head. The sliders are smooth and easy to adjust and stay firmly in place. The clamping force isn't loose or too tight. I have an average sized head and average sized ears.

The build quality is excellent, with even stitching, no sharp or rough edges, and a near immaculate finish all around.

Background:

Of headphones and headsets, the most notable ones I've used are: 
AKG Q701; Audeze LCD-2 Classic, Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X, AD2000X; Beyerdynamic DT990 Edition (600-ohm); Focal Clear; HiFiMan HE400i rev. 1, HE500, HE560 V2; HyperX Cloud II; Monoprice Modern Retro, Monolith M1060; Philips Fidelio X2, SHP9500; Sennheiser HD580, HD598, HD700, HD800; Superlux HD662 EVO, HD668B, HD669 and HD681 EVO.

I mainly use DT990 (600-ohm) and HD800, depending on whether I play competitively or casually.

I assess headphones in stereo and mainly in Battlefield: Bad Company 2, a game with a great sound design that I've played for over 3000 hours and I'm intimately familiar with. (This is on PS3 -- not PC -- as the PC version has virtual surround sound or some sort of spatialization software that makes it very difficult to hear sound cues and difficult to locate them.)