Cooler Master announces new Hyper 212 black edition

Fasauceome

https://www.pcper.com/news/Cases-and-Cooling/Cooler-Master-Announces-Hyper-212-Black-Edition-CPU-Coolers

This is a very promising competitor for low end coolers. The main complaint I hear about the 212 is that it's hard to install.

"improved installation process from previous models with the same best-in-class performance for an affordable price".

Looks like they heard ya.

The cooler itself looks great too, and removal of rgb for $5 will probably make a lot of people happy. It better be rated above 150W tdp though, because every 212 so far has only been rated for that.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

>$34.99

Unless it drastically performs better than the 212 evo theres nothing here to really see besides a paintjob. The Cryorig H7 is still a better option.

Something ive really hated about the 212 evo and its similar models is that its entirely coasting off the fact that its popular, there are way better options out there in the same price range.

To the point where every time i see a build with one its like "hey look, someone who doesnt know what theyre doing."

Gammax 400, enermax ets t40 (if you want that black coloration), of course the H7.

Hell, you can go super chinese about it and get an Aigo E3 for like 20$ (or an L5 for 25) on aliexpress and itll perform pretty much the same and honestly look cooler than the 212 evo.

They can paint it black all they want, its not gonna make me buy one. Because it plain and simple isnt worth over 30$.

53 minutes ago, campy said:

>$34.99

Unless it drastically performs better than the 212 evo theres nothing here to really see besides a paintjob. The Cryorig H7 is still a better option.

Something ive really hated about the 212 evo and its similar models is that its entirely coasting off the fact that its popular, there are way better options out there in the same price range.

To the point where every time i see a build with one its like "hey look, someone who doesnt know what theyre doing."

Gammax 400, enermax ets t40 (if you want that black coloration), of course the H7.

Hell, you can go super chinese about it and get an Aigo E3 for like 20$ (or an L5 for 25) on aliexpress and itll perform pretty much the same and honestly look cooler than the 212 evo.

They can paint it black all they want, its not gonna make me buy one. Because it plain and simple isnt worth over 30$.

Like I said earlier, if they actually raised the TDP (and/or lowered fan noise perhaps) then this is a step in the right direction. The 150W TDP of the 212 lineup has been all too constant.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 hours ago, fasauceome said:

Like I said earlier, if they actually raised the TDP (and/or lowered fan noise perhaps) then this is a step in the right direction. The 150W TDP of the 212 lineup has been all too constant.

The new fan is already quieter but the 150w tdp is unlikely to change. It seems to be the same for at least the rgb version if AVADirect's listing is accurate: https://www.avadirect.com/Hyper-212-RGB-Black-Edition-158-8mm-Height-150W-TDP-Aluminum-CPU-Cooler/Product/12388783

For comparison, the H7 is also rated at 150w.

That being said, the Hyper 212 Black Edition does seem to be a step up from previous models which I think is partly from the high rpm static pressure optimized fan.

3 hours ago, campy said:

>$34.99

The 212 Evo and 212x also has a msrp of $35. If the Black Edition's pricing drops similarly during sales to $15-25, I can see it being pretty competitive. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Coming soon from the company that hasn't done anything original* in the last ten years: another 212 refresh that can't beat coolers costing $10-20 less!

*Except that crappy 92mm AIO

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

10 minutes ago, fatboynate2 said:

because of the way different manufacturers measure heat dissipation, ARCTIC might have 200W at the same point Coolermaster has 150W

Primary PC:

Well, i wouldnt know, ive been using the stock cooler that came with my i5 3570k till i got a 3770k for the extra 4 threads im unsure what air cooler i should get as im happy with 4ghz oc atm ive always been put off by the 212 evo due to its mounting, i did use a a coolermaster v8 for a while but i ruined it.

5 minutes ago, fatboynate2 said:

Well, i wouldnt know, ive been using the stock cooler that came with my i5 3570k till i got a 3770k for the extra 4 threads im unsure what air cooler i should get as im happy with 4ghz oc atm ive always been put off by the 212 evo due to its mounting, i did use a a coolermaster v8 for a while but i ruined it.

IDK how you could have manageable thermals on the stock cooler with that overclock. Are you sure you haven't been murdering your CPU via thermal throttling?

Primary PC:

2 minutes ago, fatboynate2 said:

nope zero thermal throttle its only a small overclock

The arctic freezer cooler you linked is a good choice if you wanted an upgrade. Probably would run quieter and look a lot more stylish.

Primary PC:

yeah i was actually about to ask that lol, ive spent so much this month on my pc, but its running better than it did 6 years ago

Just now, fatboynate2 said:

yeah i was actually about to ask that lol, ive spent so much this month on my pc, but its running better than it did 6 years ago

also, it helps to quote people you're responding to so they get a notification

Primary PC:

6 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

also, it helps to quote people you're responding to so they get a notification

my bad i keep forgetting that on this thread,  i ordered that cooler too with the white fan, ill probably use one or two of my spare corsair light loop rgb fans tho

48 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

IDK how you could have manageable thermals on the stock cooler with that overclock. Are you sure you haven't been murdering your CPU via thermal throttling?

4ghz is pretty easy with stock voltage or even an undervolt. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

By the looks of that pic ( with the fan mounted) it comes with an extra fan bracket ! ?

6 hours ago, Defyant said:

By the looks of that pic ( with the fan mounted) it comes with an extra fan bracket ! ?

Hopefully it does, since the 212 Evo did. It would be a step backwards not to.

Primary PC:

7 hours ago, Defyant said:

Yes, it does. 

Cheers guys then i prolly get one to play with :)  The CM gear over hear usually ends up cheaper then rrp.

The only down side is the not being able to slide your fans up for a bit more ram clearance without spoiling the look... you could get away with this a little better on the older ones.