Am I the only one worried about replacing Type-A with Type-C?

Morata

I have had a phone with USB-C for two years and a MacBook Pro with USB-C for 1.5 years. I can't complain on either one. I can charge my phone and laptop both with Apple's charger, I can use any port on the MBP for charging or additional hardware. And to be honest, the dongle life, meh. I don't have that many plus I don't carry all of them along every day. Only 1-2 that are in my bag.

Thunderbolt 3 is nice and definitely has good benefits to it, but the cost of 3rd party accessories is a limiting factor for many. Those external GPUs are pretty awesome though.

As for durability, I don't have issues with any of the ports on the Mac or on the phone. All connections are fairly secure and I don't use my laptop in environments, where I would worry about "accidental cable pulls", where MagSafe would be useful.

The industry is going towards the standard. The new Apple dropped Lightning in favor of USB-C on the new iPad Pro. I switched and I'm happy. It works and it works good. No more rotating USB devices to find right way.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

2 hours ago, mikat said:

in my experience it does form a strong bond, too strong to really make the whole 'not knocking your laptop off the table' feature useless for me

electrically, its garbage.