I can't believe it - OnePlus 6T Hands On

I could never understand the logic behind fingerprint scanner on the back of the phone either. It's just a really dumb design choice.

Currently have Xiaomi Mi5 and fingerprint scanner on front (Home button) is by far the best design. I can have it on desk and still be able to unlock it with a single finger. Even if all other 9 fingers of my hands are greasy, I can unlock it and use it with one. Not to mention how stupid fast the scan and unlock is. It literally turns on the screen and unlocks it the same millisecond so it feels like I don't even have a scanner set. Just brilliant design and one of major reasons why I can just instantly scrape off 80% of phones as a viable option because they have a god damn fingerprint scanner on the back. Even those that I otherwise really like, like basically all new Nokia's, Mi8 and so on. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

If you have a scanner on the back, you need to lift the phone up to unlock it and if you have it screen down on the desk, you can unlock it, but then you need to flip it anyway to use it. Companies spend millions into R&D and they can't seem to understand something this fundamentally basic. It's almost as if people designing it don't use shit they make. Which seems to be a common theme these days across many different industries. Dumb illogical designs pushed forward and then copied by everyone. Just absolutely baffling. I also can't possibly understand why would anyone prefer edge to edge display over frontal fingerprint scanner. No display size can overtake practicality of something you use hundreds of times DAILY. Luckily that's getting solved with in-screen fingerprint scanners (which will take a while to trickle down to mid and low end models). Thank god.

8 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

snip

Actually... I think more people take their phones out of their pockets more frequently than off of a table. In which case rear sensors are literally ideal, as they are trivial to unlock in the process of raising them. I don't have particularly strong feeling either way myself having moved from a phone with front (s7) to a phone with rear (s9+), but there are actually people that feel exactly opposite to you and won't buy a phone without rear sensor (Luke being one for example). I got used to the change, and sometimes it's better, sometimes it's worse. I don't dramatically feel that it makes any difference at all, again having used both for years at a time.

Besides. Apple/Samsung etc at least also have facial unlock that works just as well or better if you want to look at your device and unlock it (ala on a desk). Personally, the thing that bothers me by far the most is that only Samsung seems to understand that you should be able to have your cake and eat it too. Unlock via iris/facial/pattern/fingerprint all simultaneously being an option.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

33 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Well ask yourself what are you doing using non budget headphones a phone lol. 

Traveling. Whether it be listening to something at my hotel room, on the bus, plane, train, etc.

22 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Actually... I think more people take their phones out of their pockets more frequently than off of a table. In which case rear sensors are literally ideal, as they are trivial to unlock in the process of raising them. I don't have particularly strong feeling either way myself having moved from a phone with front (s7) to a phone with rear (s9+), but there are actually people that feel exactly opposite to you and won't buy a phone without rear sensor (Luke being one for example). I got used to the change, and sometimes it's better, sometimes it's worse. I don't dramatically feel that it makes any difference at all, again having used both for years at a time.

Besides. Apple/Samsung etc at least also have facial unlock that works just as well or better if you want to look at your device and unlock it (ala on a desk). Personally, the thing that bothers me by far the most is that only Samsung seems to understand that you should be able to have your cake and eat it too. Unlock via iris/facial/pattern/fingerprint all simultaneously being an option.

I also take my phone from pocket A LOT and I don't see any downside to front placed scanner. Especially since the same button serves for waking up screen and unlocking of it. Where with rear scanner you need to turn on screen with side button and then use scanner. Which is again a really dumb design if you ask me. I don't think rear scanners also act as screen activation. Or do they?

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

I also take my phone from pocket A LOT and I don't see any downside to front placed scanner. Especially since the same button serves for waking up screen and unlocking of it. Where with rear scanner you need to turn on screen with side button and then use scanner. Which is again a really dumb design if you ask me. I don't think rear scanners also act as screen activation. Or do they?

They act as screen activation yes. And no, it isn't hard to find the right spot, because even the thinnest case has a cutout by that and so your finger naturally glides to it as you pull out.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

30 minutes ago, poochyena said:

Traveling. Whether it be listening to something at my hotel room, on the bus, plane, train, etc.

Certainly optional no one travels with expensive headphones. People usually use mid-range or low end headphones like Beats Studio or Audio Technica M50X, which are indistinguishable from their bluetooth counterparts. Not that you'd actually use those headphones to listen to anything from your phone. More suitable for a tablet. 

14 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

NO HEADPHONE JACK
WHY ONEPLUS? WHY?

Still want one for sure

if i at least have the money for it in january

Missing headphone jack aside, OnePlus phones still provide the best value for performance. However, my OnePlus 5T will be my first and only OnePlus device if their future devices fail to provide features they originally developed their "Never Settle" slogan around, namely a removable battery, headphone jack, and always unlockable bootloader.

12 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

IDK why people are so upset about no 3.5". A phone is meant to be portable, so use it that way. 

Define: portable; adjective

1. able to be easily carried or moved, especially because of being a lighter and smaller version than usual. "a portable television"

synonyms: transportable, movable, mobile, travel; lightweight, compact, handy, convenient; space-saving

Kind of difficult to use my phone to play music when traveling in a mobile fashion using my lightweight, compact, handy, & convenient musical phone device. You could say my phone is more transportable and space-saving than my traditional CD wallet, although without a headphone jack is next to useless in my car.

11 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

What does having a headphone jack have to do with portability? If you're paying ~600 euro phone, it better have all the functions that you need. Among many things, a smartphone for many people is a portable music player, so if the headphone jack is among the top of your priorities, why shouldn't you not like the decision?

If portability is a priority, they wouldn't make it few mm longer and fatter nor would it have a 6.41'' screen, it would be a 4-5'' device. 

This comment above exactly. If a product doesn't provide the features and functionality you want, it really doesn't matter how much it costs. It's like when you're buying an office chair - it doesn't matter how much (or little) it costs if it results in you having to book chiropractor appointments after you use it for a while.

11 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Just not necessary to have one. It’s old an obsolete. People want their phones to look like the future, not the past.

Maybe it should have Ethernet too? Only a few more mm

Sarcastic retort about Ethernet aside, some people want their phones to look like the future, sure, but that's subjective. Objectively, I want my phone to provide useful features I actually need to enjoy the full functionality of having a pocket PC in my, er, well, pocket. Just because I need a feature does not make it obsolete.

11 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Actual phone sales suggest otherwise. You don’t have to buy the phone of course. Vote with your wallets, but the iPhone and USB-C devices with no jack have been selling like hot cakes.

Absolutely vote with your wallets - however, when you have no choice between the same model of phone with or without a headphone jack, it's not really a fair statement. Eventually we'll have zero choice when it comes to consumer electronics. You want a screen on your phone? Nope, we don't make those anymore.

11 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

iPhones would sell probably if they removed the screen as well. The only other phone that I can think of that actually sold well is the P20 Pro but that is literally only due to camera hype. You got any other? It is certainly not the Pixel 2. Mind you, selling like hot cakes is not an objective term since we don't know what the sales would've been it hey had the headphone jack.

Once again, the above comment is perfect.

7 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Certainly optional no one travels with expensive headphones. People usually use mid-range or low end headphones like Beats Studio or Audio Technica M50X, which are indistinguishable from their bluetooth counterparts. Not that you'd actually use those headphones to listen to anything from your phone. More suitable for a tablet. 

And once again, the above comment is subjective. Maybe some people don't travel with expensive headphones. Maybe some people use tin cans and string. Maybe I'm deaf and thus should complain that manufacturers even include speakers at all. I mean, I can't hear, so why should anyone else be allowed to hear?

My overall point here is that every person's individual needs are different, so no single device fits all. At the same time, choice won't matter if we don't all speak up about losing that choice, including if you're someone who doesn't need it right now. Otherwise, manufacturers will continue removing features and locking down products until you can't even recharge your phone without paying a fee per cable connection or open the hood of your car because it's welded shut.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

14 minutes ago, kirashi said:

My overall point here is that every person's individual needs are different, so no single device fits all. At the same time, choice won't matter if we don't all speak up about losing that choice, including if you're someone who doesn't need it right now. Otherwise, manufacturers will continue removing features and locking down products until you can't even recharge your phone without paying a fee per cable connection or open the hood of your car because it's welded shut.

IDK why you are trying to act like we should have all the functionalities ever on a smartphone, otherwise we would still have flash, because after all some minority of people still use that content, or maybe micro-usb, because if you have the dongle and its good enough, why bother with a different one, why not include both? Clearly just holding on to old technology that can be used via a small adapter anyway. 

If users needs are so different, its a good thing there's more than one phone out there, so don't buy this and maybe or maybe not OnePlus will look into adding it into the next one if sales are impacted, which I rather doubt. The majority of people just don't care. Business is what matters to every company, not customers. No headphone jack is a feature of most flagship phones now, and OnePlus is just moving on with the times. 

Audio sounds just as great over AirPlay or Bluetooth now than the 3.5", and for higher end solutions, a USB-C adapter is available directly to the audio or through 3.5" interface, it's all bundled with the phone too. 

Maybe you're right, maybe it should have an audio jack, but it will sell just as well for less manufacturing cost, so why bother?

8 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

And yet the #1 selling manufacturer in the world still includes them. false equivalence.

Side note, samsung can do 84-85% screen body ratio with facial (+iris) recognition, headphone jack, fingerprint reader, expandable storage, full ip68 rating, stereo speakers, etc etc. OP requiring a notch to only reach 86% (81-83 for Apple) is simply poor design.

yup, 40kft that was I dont need any of it tbh $50 phones for me and chasing the $100 bet up to 1k

Just a snarky reminder that even Bluetooth headphones have 3.5mm jacks 

IMG_20181009_201109393.jpg

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

12 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Just a snarky reminder that even Bluetooth headphones have 3.5mm jacks 

Agreed, all the best do.... ;)

FullSizeRender-2-800x378.jpg.3930283ed1feb61e6add2d538145b699.jpg

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

9 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Actually... I think more people take their phones out of their pockets more frequently than off of a table. In which case rear sensors are literally ideal, as they are trivial to unlock in the process of raising them.

That argument doesn't make any sense to me: when I pick my phone up from the table, my thumb is going to be on the front and, you know, unlocking the phone is trivial in the process of picking the phone up. I'm not in the habit of cutting my thumb off before picking the phone up.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

a USB-C adapter is available directly to the audio or through 3.5" interface, it's all bundled with the phone too. 

which  type of the USB C to 3,5 mm jack?

there are two different ones........ one that works on all phones and ones that work on some. 

16 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Agreed, all the best do.... ;)

FullSizeRender-2-800x378.jpg.3930283ed1feb61e6add2d538145b699.jpg

Nice PXC550

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

10 hours ago, WereCatf said:

That argument doesn't make any sense to me: when I pick my phone up from the table, my thumb is going to be on the front and, you know, unlocking the phone is trivial in the process of picking the phone up. I'm not in the habit of cutting my thumb off before picking the phone up.

How did you misinterpret that so much? It was saying that FROM YOUR POCKET a rear sensor is the fastest and easiest (ideal) to unlock. Not from a table. No one is disagreeing about use from a table.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

2 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

How did you misinterpret that so much?

I must have skipped over some words, I dunno. It happens.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 hour ago, WereCatf said:

I must have skipped over some words, I dunno. It happens.

Oh well, it does indeed.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS