Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can I use 2 pairs of mismatched RAM?

boey

Hello, I currently have an Alienware Aurora R7 with 8GB of DDR4. I bought 2x8GB of G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz and I have found out that it is not compatible with my shitty Alienware motherboard even though its z370. I want to buy some other ram that is compatible but if i do, then i would have 2 pairs of mismatched ram. I plan in buying a new motherboard soon, so if i were to use like 2 sticks of 8GB G.skill TridentZ RGB and 2 sticks if some other 8GB RAM would it work?

You can mix and match RAM sure, but just know your PC will run using the slower RAM speeds. So if you have two running off of a 3000Mhz frequency, and the other two running at 2400Mhz, your PC would run at the 24000Mhz stick speed. 

5 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

Hello, I currently have an Alienware Aurora R7 with 8GB of DDR4. I bought 2x8GB of G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz and I have found out that it is not compatible with my shitty Alienware motherboard even though its z370. I want to buy some other ram that is compatible but if i do, then i would have 2 pairs of mismatched ram. I plan in buying a new motherboard soon, so if i were to use like 2 sticks of 8GB G.skill TridentZ RGB and 2 sticks if some other 8GB RAM would it work?

Iirc the other 8GB of RAM will work, but the speed of all of the ram will be reduced to whatever the lowest clock speed your ram is running at.

Ex: If you had a kit of 8GB of 2600mhz RAM and a kit of 8GB of 3200mhz RAM all together on the same board you'd have 16GB of RAM running at 2600mhz.

6 minutes ago, iiMaagic said:

Iirc the other 8GB of RAM will work, but the speed of all of the ram will be reduced to whatever the lowest clock speed your ram is running at.

Ex: If you had a kit of 8GB of 2600mhz RAM and a kit of 8GB of 3200mhz RAM all together on the same board you'd have 16GB of RAM running at 2600mhz.

Ok, so I just run each pair of ram on each channel?

2 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

Ok, so I just run each pair of ram on each channel?

You should be fine, just run each stick in a pair on the same channel i.e. the G.Skill set on the same channel and the other set on the other channel. If the RAM has a different speed and is working correctly the only thing that should happen is that the higher speed RAM will go down to the speed of the lower speed RAM.

Just now, iiMaagic said:

You should be fine, just run each stick in a pair on the same channel i.e. the G.Skill set on the same channel and the other set on the other channel. If the RAM has a different speed and is working correctly the only thing that should happen is that the higher speed RAM will go down to the speed of the lower speed RAM.

i can overclock the lower speed ram to the same sped as the higher speed one right

1 minute ago, _d0nut said:

i can overclock the lower speed ram to the same sped as the higher speed one right

I'm not sure. Depending on the speed difference an overclock could cause instability and you generally won't see a huge performance increase. Just to be safe buy 3000mhz+ RAM for the second set and you shouldn't have any hugely noticeable performance changes between the two sets.

Just now, iiMaagic said:

I'm not sure. Depending on the speed difference an overclock could cause instability and you generally won't see a huge performance increase. Just to be safe buy 3000mhz+ RAM for the second set and you shouldn't have any hugely noticeable performance changes between the two sets.

don’t know if my motherboard supports ram above 2666mhz, heard people have problems with ram above 2666mhz and not of certain brands. the dell admin told me that g.skill ram was ‘high density, cheap and unreliable’, and that it would not work on the motherboard due to that. I’ll see what i can do as i plan on switching to ryzen in a few months

1 minute ago, _d0nut said:

don’t know if my motherboard supports ram above 2666mhz, heard people have problems with ram above 2666mhz and not of certain brands. the dell admin told me that g.skill ram was ‘high density, cheap and unreliable’, and that it would not work on the motherboard due to that. I’ll see what i can do as i plan on switching to ryzen in a few months

If you're switching to Ryzen you might just want to re-sell that lowspeed RAM kit you'll need for that board Mobo. Ryzen loves high speed RAM and since you already have a 16GB kit of 3200mhz RAM sitting around I'd recommend to just re-sell or ditch the lower speed kit you get while you wait to switch to a Ryzen processor.

14 minutes ago, iiMaagic said:

If you're switching to Ryzen you might just want to re-sell that lowspeed RAM kit you'll need for that board Mobo. Ryzen loves high speed RAM and since you already have a 16GB kit of 3200mhz RAM sitting around I'd recommend to just re-sell or ditch the lower speed kit you get while you wait to switch to a Ryzen processor.

Yeah, thats why i bought a 3200mhz kit of ram so i would not have to overclock/buy new ram when switching to ryzen. Hope this kit works on my motherboard though. I’ll see if it does in about a month when I return home.