Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Looking for a new laptop

Guarino

Hi everyone...I'm looking for a now laptop. Main use will be University work, watching Netflix and casual video editing. I'm looking for something with an i7-8550u, mx150, good cooling with unlocked bios to occasionally raise power limits with XTU (when exporting a video for example), good battery life, and good enough IPS display(FHD at least, 4K is impossible for my budget I think). The perfect match I could find right now is the Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro. Does anyone has other suggestions or alternatives? Budget is around 1000-1200€ so any top-of-the-line Notebook is out of the equation

$800 acer nitro 5 with a 1050ti in it is a option with a much better graphics card in it.

10 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Have they fixed the heat issues in those?

I think that was only a problem with some top end models of it and from what I'm seeing on the internet is a problem ether you have or don't and replacing thermal paste fixes it for the people who experienced it.  I guess that's a reason to be skeptical of it but its still a good choice.

39 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Have they fixed the heat issues in those?

Nope. Cooling design problem

1 hour ago, Guarino said:

snip

Preferred max weight and min battery life? Also, where are you from?

My Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Nvidia RTX3060Ti 8GB PNY XLR8 Gaming Epic-X RGB 16GB (8X2) 3200MHz CL16 Team Group MP33 Pro 1TB
ID-Cooling SE-224-XT White Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX Tecware Forge M2 mATX White Case Montech Century 650W Gold

7 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I remember Dave Lee was covering the ones on the under 1k budget.  Also,

^I don't think a change of thermal paste would fix a shit cooler.  It can help, but it won't ultimately fix the issue.

I was looking around at forum posts and that was the solution better quality thermal paste over stock junk paste basically the problem with every laptop cheap thermal compound and being to close to heat dissipating limits when you get the loaded model. its the world we live in now thin and light vs high performance gaming hardware.

moving on what other options do we have for them to look at in this price range? I know MSI has a few and Asus now also then their is the dells and HPs that  are boring but good . 

1 hour ago, jonrosalia said:

$800 acer nitro 5 with a 1050ti in it is a option with a much better graphics card in it.

Well that is a bit too flashy...I prefer a sleek design, I'm kind of a classic person

1 hour ago, ethawesomee said:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834847256

this is fine too. a little less flashy, but gets the job done

Ty I'll look into it...is the max tdp tunable like the Mi Notebook Pro? do you know any similar laptop with a cheaper price? Even one with a lower resolution screen.

1 hour ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Preferred max weight and min battery life? Also, where are you from?

Max weight is no problem...I can easily carry up to 2kg without problems, maybe more... min battery life with light work or video reproduction has to be at least 5-6 hours.

Also I'm from Italy

44 minutes ago, Guarino said:

Max weight is no problem...I can easily carry up to 2kg without problems, maybe more... min battery life with light work or video reproduction has to be at least 5-6 hours.

Also I'm from Italy

Any links of online stores? Preferred max weight is 2kg?

My Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Nvidia RTX3060Ti 8GB PNY XLR8 Gaming Epic-X RGB 16GB (8X2) 3200MHz CL16 Team Group MP33 Pro 1TB
ID-Cooling SE-224-XT White Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX Tecware Forge M2 mATX White Case Montech Century 650W Gold

1 hour ago, valdyrgramr said:

^I don't think a change of thermal paste would fix a shit cooler.  It can help, but it won't ultimately fix the issue.

Need undervolt+repaste

My Desktop specs:

Spoiler

39 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Any links of online stores? Preferred max weight is 2kg?

Let's say up to 2.5-2.7 kg won't hurt my back (power supply included ofc)...but I don't want a flashy gaming laptop...if you want to look around you can use Amazon.it  ePRICE.it  hw1.it  unieuro.it  euronics.it  Mediaworld.it (last three are physical stores mainly) and you can also use trovaprezzi.it to compare prices among many many other shops which may be less known but still trustworthy, and maybe cheaper than big names in the industry

Thinkpad T480s if you really want full performance of KBL-R. If you want better display quality, go for WQHD option

My Desktop specs:

Spoiler

Clevo/sager from a reputable source with prema bios would be the only valid option I am aware of where an unlocked bios doesnt void warrantee.

5 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Thinkpad T480s if you really want full performance of KBL-R. If you want better display quality, go for WQHD option

I don't really like thinkpads...their design feels really old, any other ideas?

4 hours ago, markr54632 said:

Clevo/sager from a reputable source with prema bios would be the only valid option I am aware of where an unlocked bios doesnt void warrantee.

do clevo or sager even make a non gaming (and flashy) notebook?

6 hours ago, Guarino said:

I don't really like thinkpads...their design feels really old

Premium business laptop > consumer laptop, in terms of build quality

6 hours ago, Guarino said:

any other ideas?

There aren't much selection if you want full power of KBL-R. Unless you're fine with Cinebench multi core score of 600-700cb

My Desktop specs:

Spoiler

13 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Premium business laptop > consumer laptop, in terms of build quality

There aren't much selection if you want full power of KBL-R. Unless you're fine with Cinebench multi core score of 600-700cb

i was not talking about build quality...but about aesthetics...anyway yes, i'm fine with 600-700 cb score

12 hours ago, Guarino said:

i'm fine with 600-700 cb score

Basically almost every laptop with KBL-R can do >600cb with undervolt

My Desktop specs:

Spoiler

11 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Basically almost every laptop with KBL-R can do >600cb with undervolt

if you know any with tweakable power limits and good battery life and screen, pls give me some hints