Need help with my gtx 1060

J0sh777

This is my first build. Everything went smoothly. I have an i5 8400 with an msi b360 gaming pro, 16 of gskill 2666 ddr4 ram, evga g3 650w psu, a 1 TB HD and a 250 ssd. Took about 2 hours to build. I downloaded windows off of my friends media creation tool and bought a key so it's an activated version. Then I got my graphics card and I installed the new drivers. It worked for about 5 days then after a long stress it would reset my computer. Now everytime I put it under graphic intensive workload it pretty much forces me to hard shut off my computer just so I can use it again. I've tried clean uninstalling my drivers, I've tried factory reseting the pc and installing the drivers, I've dismounted and remounted it, I've tried old drivers. Sometimes it would run furmark for 25 min everything looked fine and then it would just give out and reset to a point where windows had a problem booting. The highest my temp got is 69°C and my cpu has never gone over 50°C. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! 

UPDATE: I took it to microcenter to run an extensive diagnostics test on it. 

Under load I doubt your CPU would hover under 50C.
Look at your Windows logs at event viewer, see if you can find something strange when your PC freezes/becomes unusable. 

12 hours ago, emosun said:

pull out one ram stick and see if that stabilizes it

How would the ram affect the gpu? I'm running some benchmarks now just curious. 

1 minute ago, J0sh777 said:

How would the ram affect the gpu? I'm running some benchmarks now just curious. 

the machine has to be working in its entirety in order for the gpu to work

if you aren't going to pull a stick just let us know so that we can leave ram as a possibility for the problem that isn't going to be addressed. 

53 minutes ago, emosun said:

if you aren't going to pull a stick just let us know so that we can leave ram as a possibility for the problem that isn't going to be addressed. 

I tested each Ram stick by itself and neither of that worked I'm currently taking the card to my friends rig to see if it runs the same or if it's my setup

14 hours ago, J0sh777 said:

This is my first build. Everything went smoothly. I have an i5 8400 with an msi b360 gaming pro, 16 of gskill 2666 ddr4 ram, evga g3 650w psu, a 1 TB HD and a 250 ssd. Took about 2 hours to build. I downloaded windows off of my friends media creation tool and bought a key so it's an activated version. Then I got my graphics card and I installed the new drivers. It worked for about 5 days then after a long stress it would reset my computer. Now everytime I put it under graphic intensive workload it pretty much forces me to hard shut off my computer just so I can use it again. I've tried clean uninstalling my drivers, I've tried factory reseting the pc and installing the drivers, I've dismounted and remounted it, I've tried old drivers. Sometimes it would run furmark for 25 min everything looked fine and then it would just give out and reset to a point where windows had a problem booting. The highest my temp got is 69°C and my cpu has never gone over 50°C. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! 

Are you overclocking the 1060? If you take the GPU out of the equation and stress-test the system does it still crash?

5 hours ago, emosun said:

I tested each Ram stick by itself and neither of that worked I'm currently taking the card to my friends rig to see if it runs the same or if it's my setup

4 hours ago, Nonpossible said:

Are you overclocking the 1060? If you take the GPU out of the equation and stress-test the system does it still crash?

No over clocking at all

2 hours ago, J0sh777 said:

No over clocking at all

Try stress-testing without the GPU installed and see what the results are. You're on the right track in troubleshooting, I think.

6 hours ago, J0sh777 said:

No over clocking at all

Ok.

Not overclocking the graphics card but are you overclocking the CPU?

IF SO: Try stock everything and see if it holds.

IF NOT:

What PSU do you have?

Sometimes if the graphics is trying to pull more power than the PSU can supply it will either lock up, shut down or reboot -depending on PSU's state of failure.

I would suggest -if you have another PSU to try it -and if possible a more powerful one and see if it still locks up.

One thing that would definitely be a tell if it is the PSU is if it makes a buzzing sound at all during this whole procedure.

Current computers:

Primary Computer (In Progress):

Spoiler

SUBJECT TO CHANGE

CASE: ROSEWIL THOR V2 Black

CPU:

Motherboard:

GPU: SAPPHIRE VEGA 56 -TBU RTX 2070 SUPER

RAM: 48 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX
PSU: SEASONIC PRIME 1300 W GOLD

STORAGE: 4x SEAGATE EXOS 4TB | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

SOUND SYSTEM: Logitech Z506 Surround Sound via Vantec USB External 7.1 Channel Audio Adapter  

MOUSE: 16000DPI GAMING MOUSE

KEYBOARD: -PENDING-

MONITOR: -PENDING- AOC AGON AG241QX 24" -PENDING-

COOLING:  CPU: Noctua NH-D15 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

LAST UPDATED 4/29/20

Secondary Computer:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8370 Black Edition 

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Omega Core Edition 

RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX Savage 1600MHz DDR3
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer HCG-900W

STORAGE: 5x Western Digital Black 2TB - WD2003FZEX | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

SOUND SYSTEM: Logitech Z506 Surround Sound via Vantec USB External 7.1 Channel Audio Adapter  

MOUSE: PUREX 2400 DPI Wired Laser Gaming Mouse

KEYBOARD: DBPOWER 104 Key -3 Backlit -I KNOW! Linus doesn't approve -I have glued it to the desk and it works well for my needs.

MONITOR: ASUS VS247H-P 24 Inch 

COOLING: CPU: Noctua NH-D14 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

GRAPHICS: 2x NF12s fans on graphics card + 2x NF-F12s & 1x NA-A12x25 in Fan box | 1x Vantec SP-FC70-BL Spectrum System Fan Cards

5 hours ago, kingknightrider said:

Ok.

Not overclocking the graphics card but are you overclocking the CPU?

IF SO: Try stock everything and see if it holds.

IF NOT:

What PSU do you have?

Sometimes if the graphics is trying to pull more power than the PSU can supply it will either lock up, shut down or reboot -depending on PSU's state of failure.

I would suggest -if you have another PSU to try it -and if possible a more powerful one and see if it still locks up.

One thing that would definitely be a tell if it is the PSU is if it makes a buzzing sound at all during this whole procedure.

I use a 650w evga g3

8 hours ago, Nonpossible said:

Try stress-testing without the GPU installed and see what the results are. You're on the right track in troubleshooting, I think.

Everything works nice and smooth without the card. So I think it's the card but then it works for like a day then crashes. 

4 hours ago, J0sh777 said:

Everything works nice and smooth without the card. So I think it's the card but then it works for like a day then crashes. 

So it works for a day without the card and crashes?

Or will it run continously without the card?

Current computers:

Primary Computer (In Progress):

Spoiler

SUBJECT TO CHANGE

CASE: ROSEWIL THOR V2 Black

CPU:

Motherboard:

GPU: SAPPHIRE VEGA 56 -TBU RTX 2070 SUPER

RAM: 48 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX
PSU: SEASONIC PRIME 1300 W GOLD

STORAGE: 4x SEAGATE EXOS 4TB | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

MOUSE: 16000DPI GAMING MOUSE

KEYBOARD: -PENDING-

MONITOR: -PENDING- AOC AGON AG241QX 24" -PENDING-

COOLING:  CPU: Noctua NH-D15 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

LAST UPDATED 4/29/20

Secondary Computer:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8370 Black Edition 

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Omega Core Edition 

RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX Savage 1600MHz DDR3
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer HCG-900W

STORAGE: 5x Western Digital Black 2TB - WD2003FZEX | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

MOUSE: PUREX 2400 DPI Wired Laser Gaming Mouse

KEYBOARD: DBPOWER 104 Key -3 Backlit -I KNOW! Linus doesn't approve -I have glued it to the desk and it works well for my needs.

MONITOR: ASUS VS247H-P 24 Inch 

COOLING: CPU: Noctua NH-D14 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

GRAPHICS: 2x NF12s fans on graphics card + 2x NF-F12s & 1x NA-A12x25 in Fan box | 1x Vantec SP-FC70-BL Spectrum System Fan Cards

6 hours ago, J0sh777 said:

What PSU do you have and what rating is it?
Did you install standoff screws when you put your mobo in?