Looking for Foolproof Antivirus Software for My Grandmother

As the title says. Grandma has the habit of getting herself into trouble with her computers.

She seems to destroy them faster than I've ever seen anyone else do it. I'm pretty tired of all the IT calls. Especially since she lives in the middle of nowhere with slow internet, meaning remoting in is tedious.

What do you suggest I use as antivirus software for her? I would need something I can install, set to 'quiet mode' so there are no alerts to bug her unless there's a serious problem.

I essentially want to install it, and just let it go. Maybe check up on it every now and again, but I want it to mostly discreetly protect.

Free would be ideal, but paid is not out of the realm of possibilities.

(she hates mcafee, so let's stay away from that...  cant say I blame her with all the shit it's pulled lately)

Thanks!

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO

41 minutes ago, dj_ripcord said:

As the title says. Grandma has the habit of getting herself into trouble with her computers.

She seems to destroy them faster than I've ever seen anyone else do it. I'm pretty tired of all the IT calls. Especially since she lives in the middle of nowhere with slow internet, meaning remoting in is tedious.

What do you suggest I use as antivirus software for her? I would need something I can install, set to 'quiet mode' so there are no alerts to bug her unless there's a serious problem.

I essentially want to install it, and just let it go. Maybe check up on it every now and again, but I want it to mostly discreetly protect.

Free would be ideal, but paid is not out of the realm of possibilities.

(she hates mcafee, so let's stay away from that...  cant say I blame her with all the shit it's pulled lately)

Thanks!

I find that education coupled with MBAM Premium, Windows 10's built in Defender, and CommonSense™ work much better than security suites of times past. although you cannot purchase that last one. Unfortunately, nothing will prevent a user who willingly installs crapware on their system, as it's impossible for any security software to catch & prevent the installation of 100% of Potentially Unwanted Programs if a user explicitly chooses to go through the installation prompts.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

On 10/29/2018 at 12:29 AM, Javilen said:

Malwarebytes? 

On 10/29/2018 at 12:55 AM, kirashi said:

I find that education coupled with MBAM Premium, Windows 10's built in Defender, and CommonSense™ work much better than security suites of times past.

I think I have to agree. But she's not gonna be willing to go without protection no matter what. I'll see if I can get her to switch to MBAM. I think that's a good solution.

On 10/29/2018 at 12:29 AM, Javilen said:

You clearly spend too much time on the internet.

But so do I....

if u want an antivirus that will protect grandma while not bugging her, try bitdefender free. second option could be kaspersky free or panda free antivirus