Blu-ray player through HDMI switch, Now with Speckles

I hope it alright to post a ask for help in this forum.

Hooking up Blu-ray Player for the folks and ran into some issues. Their TV came with 3 ports, but only one is functioning reliably. They have a BoxeeBox and recently got a Blu-ray player and with on working HDMI port they needed a switch. Picked up a Startech 2 port auto switch that runs off the power supplied through the HDMI cable from a device.

I have the BoxeeBox and Blu-ray player running through the device. When the Boxee box is the selected device everything appears as normal with no detectable difference in picture or sound. When the Blu-ray player is selected, there is no sound and the picture has speckles appearing and disappearing, and occasionally the picture will cut out with flashes of green or red. If the Blu-ray player is directly hooked to the HDMI port the image and sound working properly. I have tried a couple of different branded cheap cables including one that came with the switch (1ft-ish long) and there is no discernible difference. I wouldn't think this would require a cable that costs more than the player. I have also tried switching the BoxeeBox and BP ports with no difference.

Startech 2 port Auto Switch

Phillips HDMI cables

Sony BDP-S1100

LG LCD TV 42" (model not available)

This is not at my house, so turnaround may be a bit slow. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

The problem looks like it is in your switch. Maybe your problem is that you need to have a powered switch.

The problem looks like it is in your switch. Maybe your problem is that you need to have a powered switch.

I was thinking this. I was thinking that the Sony BP was not supplying enough power in their signal and the switch is taking just enough off the top to disrupt the signal.

Update:

Using powered switch, no significant difference.

Changing resolution to anything lower than 1080p seems to presentation clean image.

Tried hooking it to a different tv, and no detectable speckles/sparkles are seen. So that's different.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem, I just had to buy a new hdmi cable. Something about the one I got was bad. I ended up buying a high dollar braided one and it fixed the problem. The specks would only happen on my tv not my monitor and it wouldn't always happen either. It was intermittent, new hdmi cable fixed the problem. 

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor